1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Match day thread

Discussion in 'Championship' started by HappilyLost, Jan 16, 2021.

1. ByTheRiver

ByTheRiver Registered User

Supports:
    Fulham
    You'd have to class it as a soft penalty, didn't exactly stop a 'goal scoring opportunity' at that point of contact..
    But those are the officious rules of contact in the box.
    Some of which are annoying when given, like
    1. when a ball is crossed about 20 feet off the ground, the striker is never going to jump high enough to get it, but gets a nudge in the back and the Ref gives a Penalty.
    2. when a player pushes a ball past a defender too far and fast that he's not going to get it before it goes out and after it goes over the goal line he goes down under a challenge with a penalty given
    3. Players 'falling over' outstretched legs to gain a penalty.
    Every team has had them given but it's still annoying IHMO

Super_horns likes this.
  2. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Wow that's a remarkable turnaround if you were passing the ball that well already. As I don't think you are that bad on paper squad wise I think you should take a gamble and give Morrison a good crack at it

3. Tigerferry

Tigerferry A New Era Begins

Supports:
    Hull City
    Well obviously we are going down as long as McCann is in charge.

4. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I wander if he'll get the Farke treatment and get sacked after a win with the international break upon us?

#3944 RedDogChris, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  5. Tigerferry

Tigerferry A New Era Begins

Supports:
    Hull City
    Not as long as the Allams are in charge, no.

6. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I’d say it’s early doors, but I think Morison has shown he would take us in that direction. We’re far from a fluid, passing team yet but there are some signs of a shift in style. We still lack naturally creative players though and won’t have transfer funds so expect a gradual evolution hopefully with emerging young players playing their part.

7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    That's pretty much the point I was getting at. Players feel they need to go down in the area to ensure they get given the penalty even though a foul should be a foul whether or not they go down

Super_horns likes this.
  8. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Fair play to your fans, really was a great atmosphere. Top class home support.

Got outplayed second-half against 10 men. The squad is rubbish but even allowing for that we shouldn't be this shit. Need some results quickly after the break or Nige will be off

SkyBlueMatt likes this.
  9. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Irrelevant of whether it is soft or not, I'm pretty sure a direct kick to the calf muscle is a foul and any foul committed inside the box is a penalty.
    Since when has a foul had to stop a 'goal scoring opportunity' for it to be classed as a foul worthy of a penalty? How many times have we seen a defender lunge in at a striker who is actually moving away from the goal? If your defender is that stupid, then you deserve a penalty against you!

This falls into the stupid category as per the example I have used above. If a ball is that high that no-one is going to reach it then why is the defender nudging the opponent in the back? It doesn't matter where the ball is, a foul is a foul!

I can't say I have ever seen this happen. Once the ball goes out of play, play is 'dead' and anything that happens after is pretty much an irrelevance except for serious misconduct issues where the ref may feel it appropriate to show someone a card. I'm sure someone can correct me here, but I'm of the thinking that the absolute most a ref could offer for a 'foul' after the ball has gone out of play would be an indirect free kick inside the box. But using the same example but with the ball still in play when the foul is committed, it doesn't matter whether the attacking player can reach it or not, if he/she is fouled by a defender then it is a foul and therefore a penalty! Another one for the stupid defending category if you ask me.

This one is slightly more contentious because we all know players will happily stick a leg under the outstretched leg of a defender to instigate a trip. However, once again I would be asking why the defender is giving an attacker the opportunity to do this - once a defender goes down and sticks a leg out in the box, he/she is just giving the ref a decision to make. Probably harsh to stick this one in the stupid defending category but it's not far off!

10. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    You never know I guess? atm I rate your chances of escaping better than ours, but it's not a very high bar to beat lol.

11. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Interesting. Looked a really unnatural fall and a dive to me on first view on Quest highlights.

12. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    So you don't think it was a penalty?

13. TomPNE94

TomPNE94 Registered User

Supports:
    PNE
    I had a good view of it, Whiteman goes to clear the ball and their lad just nicked it away and he booted the back of his calf.

14. Andy

Andy Formerly Manutdlegend

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Do they really sell these at Reading!? They look quality.

Attached Files:

15. Madejski

Madejski Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Unfortunately not at Reading FC (in the Championship), I wouldn't recommend any food from within the Mad Stad. They apparently sell these at Reading City FC, a club that plays in the ninth tier of football.

16. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    From the TV camera angle, it really looks dodgy. But if from behind it looked different like @TomPNE94 said, then fair enough.

17. RednBlacklife

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Going down the Chelmsford route of calling the team a city before it has city status ;)

18. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    The replay I saw clearly showed Johnson taking a kick to the calf and I'm pretty sure that equates to a foul and a foul in the box is a penalty! Not really sure anything looks dodgy about it, Johnson was just too quick to get in between defended and ball

19. LordMegson

LordMegson Registered User

Supports:
    WBA
    We signed kean bryan as cover for dara oshea and bryan only just gone and done his ligaments and out for the season..

Couldnt make it up...

20. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    I said it earlier on, it was a penalty but you're right about being an unnatural fall.