1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Matches behind closed doors.

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Shane, Mar 6, 2020.

1. LEF

LEF Censored

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I didn’t say it was impossible to make noise wearing a mask? I said it would be shit being at a match where everyone is required to wear one.

2. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Surely it's got to be as a percentage of gate? 4k fans at OT is a different proposition to 4k fans at Craven Cottage for example.

3. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    Better than having stadiums completely devoid of fans. As with everything, this is a stage by stage process.

With each stage, less restrictive measures. And as such less unnecessary risk taken with people's health.

4. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    do we honestly think anyone is going to pay a blinds bit of attention to said rules?

people will bring their own stuff in (unless confiscated I suppose) but itd be a joke of someone is made sit on their own in a vast area freezing without even a hot drink to keep warm.

Super_horns likes this.
  5. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    why? what difference does it make?

6. LEF

LEF Censored

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Use your imagination, it would just be shit. No atmosphere - people struggling to breathe, finding it difficult to sing/shout etc. not being able to see the joy on your fellow supporters’ faces when you score a goal, or their disgust at a bad decision. I could only imagine it being an entirely soulless experience.

7. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    RIght so you say no atmosphere yet there's multiple pictures and examples of the folk that make the most atmosphere choosing to wear masks BEFORE this. In fact you even responded to those pictures to say that it's not about atmosphere.

You say people struggling to breathe, well how can NHS workers and others do 10 hour shifts wearing a mask? Are you saying 2 hours at a game is harder?

I think it's pretty easy to see the joy on someone's face mask or not, but in all honesty i'm not usually looking at people's faces at games (except to give the home/away fans grief).

Honestly you need to get in the bin with your nonsensical conspiracy theory rubbish, you two club dinlow.

Leivapool and MrE like this.
  8. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It seems that in addition to wearing masks, supporters will be specifically asked to refrain from shouting etc. Whether people actually follow that, and how rigidly it will be enforced, I don't know.

The only example I can provide is Boro away this season when they had 1000 in. The first half they were all sat on their hands observing the rule like good little boys. Then second half they were getting rowdy and progressively more confident in making noise and abusing the ref for every decision :laugh:

9. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Back on topic.
    As someone mentioned earlier, 4,000 people inside Old Trafford would be entirely pointless, all that would achieve is incurring stewarding, utilities and policing costs for negligible income, approx £180,000. Assuming they'd only open the North Stand, and only the two lower tiers, you'd have 4,000 seats taken from 20,500 available, or one person for every 5 seats.

10. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I think once the shops stock back up with female sanitary products things round here will go back to normal.

The Doc likes this.
  11. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Some might argue fans don’t make any noise at a lot of grounds anyway !

12. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    To be honest I reckon very few stadiums would be noisy if there weren't any away fans to stir the atmosphere up.

Super_horns and FranniesTache like this.
  13. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    doesn't help that clubs play music at deafening levels before games to kill any atmosphere fans try to create

AFCB-Nutter likes this.
  14. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    Is this not all an early idea to get the ball rolling anyway?

I imagine by March, and possibly a bit sooner, it will all be capacity relative. 30%, 40%, 50% and upwards until stadiums can welcome fans at full capacity again.

Also, worth noting any location in tier 3 will not be able to have any fans back in anyway.

15. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Yup absolutely. More often than not in the premier league it’s the away fans providing most of the atmosphere these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Good point.

That may be the case, if so they could have made it clear.

17. MrE

MrE kevin lasagna

Supports:
    I would hazard a guess that each Premier League club north of London will be in tier 3. That means no fans will be able to return at first.

London is apparently 50/50 whether it will be tier 2 or tier 3. Tier 2 would mean 2,000 fans allowed.

Southampton (141 per 100k) will be tier 2. And Brighton (90 per 100k) maybe tier 1, though I have seen the plan is for every local authority to be placed in at least tier 2 to begin with. Tier 1 is 4000 fans.

18. TAFKAP

TAFKAP Where's Adim?
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Spurs
    More than happy for people to discuss the merits or otherwise of face coverings and whether or not we're being controlled, but not in this thread please.

RedDevilsShinja and MrE like this.
  19. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    I don't think many have sold season tickets yet have they? I am a ST holder officially but United haven't charged us anything for this season.

20. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    It seems some have, like you I haven't paid or been asked to pay anything for this season.

Super_horns likes this.