1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMA

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by DCFCforever, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    In all fairness I don't think it matters who he fights and what style they adopt. He does his thing and lets his opponent worry about what he will do. Theres talk of GSP, which would be great as long as Georges hasn't dropped off too much. After the Tony/GSP fight maybe he'll move up and face Usman or Colby. Usman is probably the best wrestler around LW/WW. If I had to chose I think he beats all of those guys right now

Machida likes this.
  2. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Jon Jones says big fight announcement coming up imminently. I wonder who it will be?

I thought it would be Jan Blachowicz. Whilst he probably deserves a shot it's not exactly "big" is it.

3. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

I agree, I hope Ferguson wins - he's an absolute weirdo but also a likeable bloke.

I know he's good on the ground but I think it's different when Khabib puts you on the ground, usually it's in terrible positions with no guard, I've seen him do it to world champion BJJ blackbelts in some videos and tap them with ease.

4. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    You’re probably more clued up on it than me, but even with my fairly basic knowledge of bjj and wresting, I struggle to see what he does differently to everyone else Khabibs fought. Tony doesn’t even really care about being taken down it seems because he’s just as happy on the mat as standing. He can’t do that against Khabib. McGregor was probably a decent matchup as he has good tdd, but he could only keep it standing one round.
    What I would say is if Tony can keep it on the feet for a round, like Connor did, he’ll make it count, unlike Connor

5. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Blachowicz is fighting Jacare so that rules him out. Only other 2 names that stand out are Reyes and Walker but it's probably too soon for either of those.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  6. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Without a doubt, especially Walker.

Looking at Reyes last fight I think he’ll seriously struggle with jones at any point in his career. Walker has the potential to do something special but he is literally a few years away from the fighter he can be. Way too soon for jones

If they feed either of these guys to jones I give Walker a punchers chance right now. The likelihood is a beating, and with jones it will be a painful one. It could ruin these 2 guys if they fight him too soon. Unfortunately the UFC has a habit of doing this though

7. Steve - Wfc

Steve - Wfc Registered User

Supports:
    Watford
    Oh, didn't realise that!

Puzzled as to who it is. Maybe Stipe? I'd be massively surprised if it was DC again

8. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    The majority of Khabib's opponents look to get back to their feet when taken down and do not try attack him. What Tony will do differently (even if it is unsuccessful) is that he will not try work his way to the feet. He will look to land strikes from the bottom and attack with submissions. That is something we have not seen Khabib face in his UFC career and is another reason why Tony is such an interesting match-up.

I admit i am bias, because Ferguson is my favourite fighter. The guy is never in a boring fight, and i find him hilarious outside of the cage.

9. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading

This blew my mind.

10. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Wonder how his depth perception works with a fist flying into his mush!

RM likes this.
  11. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Whittaker Vs Adesanya should be decent this weekend. If its the same Whittaker that beat Romero twice I think he'll win, but given he's been out so long I'm not sure how good he'll be.

12. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I also thought he’d win, but I wasn’t confident. It looked fairly easy in the end. He was all wrong for whittaker; a counter striker with a speed and large reach advantage. Big fan of bobby knuckles, he’ll come again, but he won’t beat Adesanya when they fight again

Adesanya is so much like silva in his prime. Even the way he slips punches. This division is tougher now than it was back then though.

Did you see the brad Riddell fight I’m the prelims. Great fight but Fckin brutal in the last round. riddells a world class kickboxer and he lit his opponent up for 5 mins. The other dude was tough as nails. I watched the last 2 minutes through my fingers, it wasn’t easy viewing, but well worth a watch if you’ve not seen it

13. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

That fight was bonkers.
    Although it was entertaining it shows the importance of grappling in MMA. Mularky had his back, nearly choked him and then lost the position when he could have easily kept it, only to get his face pounded afterwards. Even Riddell could have stayed on top on the floor but chose not too, it's criminal and won't work at the higher levels.
    I still think this is the best round ever though:

14. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Wow, fair play. I haven't caught the fight yet but what a meteroic rise it's been for Izzy. He's got the makings of becoming a huge star as well, and i'd love for the UFC (or boxing) go go to Lagos and try and get a huge event on to try and spread the sport into Africa.

I guess it's looking set for Paulo Costa as Adesanya's first defence?

15. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I missed that one, as I'd not set my sky box up properly to record the prelims. I'll try to find it on BT sport app or youtube. Adesanya was really impressive, and I think the UFC will try and push him to be the next big star. Might be a super fight with Jones on the cards for him next year.

16. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Full fights up on here for anyone wanting to watch it, fair play BT.

17. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading

Jonny Ninja, JTC77 and Steve - Wfc like this.
  18. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Cheers buddy. The Mullarkey is one tough bugger, taking all those shots and still looking to come forward. Was tough watching that towards the end, but he never gave Goddard grounds to stop it. I'm looking forward to seeing who Riddell gets next.

19. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Goddard is top quality. Best ref in the world imo. I used to post on cage warriors forum when it was still up and running. He had his own thread that you could ask him shit about being a ref etc. Really good guy and interesting as well
    Also had artem lobov on there calling fighters out and having rows. I remember 1 went in for ages with Ian entwhistle. It was funny as hell

JTC77 and Machida like this.
  20. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I’ve seen him a few times kick boxing. He’s got a long way to go with the rest of his MMA game, but he can strike with anyone. A work in progress

That right hook he landed, right in the bell, when they were both kneeling would’ve knocked many out. The Aussie fella was tough and game as they come