1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muse - The Resistance

Discussion in 'Music' started by boyd_88, Jul 9, 2009.

1. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    :laugh: saw that on muselive

Obviously not created by anyone important, just a few lackeys who are trying to relate to the teenagers. I also noticed there's a song by Tupac.

2. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Total Guitar have named Matt Bellamy as the guitarist of the decade

http://www.muselive.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=44138&d=0

http://erato1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/matt-bellamy-total-guitar.jpg

Have to say I agree. Obviously its all down to personal opinion but i cant think of anyone else who fits the bill. Matt Bellamy certainly inspired me to pick up and play the guitar. It was him alone tbh.

I remember first hearing Plug In Baby a few years back. I admit it wasnt that song alone that inspired me to play guitar, but it hooked me instantly to this band. They do have better songs, but i cant think of many riffs i prefer. Its a classic.

Its not about technical ability. Its about having ALL the boxes ticked for being a rock star. Others may be slightly more proficient in one area, but Matt will trump them in all others. He has the technical ability in magnificent abundance, he's an incredible musician, pianist and vocalist. I agree with the comment about his stage presence. Never have i longed to see anyone live more than Muse. They are THE band for live performances. He doesnt have to have a laugh and a joke with the crowd, or tell them when to clap, jump, shout, sing along. He just lets the music pour out, through his guitar, and instills emotions into the audience. You dont know whether to stand in awe, or jump about and scream in ecstacy.

Others may counter this and my argument with a guitarist who can shred through a pentatonic in half a second, how boring. None of them can come close to Matt's songwriting, power and stage presence, instrumentalism, all things which fit the ideal model for your ideal guitarist and rock star.

3. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Only one thing - Well deserved.I can't think of anyone else for that accolade.Not only does he inspire people to play the guitar,but this guy inspired me to take my musical talents seriously.This guy inspired me to push my boundaries of singing.Every other singer sings normally,they're all the same.Matt Bellamy though,pushes those boundaries,and because of him,I've turned into a better singer.

Genius.

4. Gunner32

Gunner32 Surf Solar

Supports:
    Arsenal and Wrexham
    Aye. Matt fully deserves it.

5. bretdrfctilidie

bretdrfctilidie Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers Fc
    Matts won it, not up against alot though really is he this decade?

When your talking about great guitarists of all time- he doesn't come close to the top bunch.

6. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Unfortunately not.

Matt is one of the last of a dying breed. The days of the iconic guitarist/rock star are numbered.

Now we're seeing the rise of the karaoke pub entertainers and student indie/emo crowds. The latter is just as bad as the former...they seem to be of the deluded opinion that any artist that gains fame and stardom has sold out :no: These two extremes of the spectrum are growing further and further apart and its destroying music.

Paul McCartney, John Lennon, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, and many other legendary and iconic bands/artists are fading away, and there are very few great songwriters and performers to take their place.

#266 boyd_88, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2010
  7. powerage

powerage Let There Be Rock!

Supports:
    Spurs
    But hasn't that already happened at least twice in the last 40 years or so? The idea of rock stars being out dated dinosaurs? The difference being this time that there is an established order of respect, but even then the amount of people who considerthe likes of Townsend, Jagger and Richards old farts by the younger generation is apparent. For example, I've seen comments about Aerosmith's problems saying how irrelevant they are.

The rebellion against extrovert rock stars has happened twice previously IMO. 1976 and 1991.

The industry is changing, people want different things from their stars IMO.

8. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Definitely, but its not looking good though is it. And i think most who are properly interested in music would agree with me that music is nowhere near the level of the 70s.

9. Gunner32

Gunner32 Surf Solar

Supports:
    Arsenal and Wrexham
    The way we listen to music as a society has changed. It's no longer as important as it was a few decades ago, which is a shame.

Also, the album format is slowly dying, because most people only seem to download a single, put it on their ipod on shuffle, and don't explore the rest of the artist material. I don't like downloading one song from an artist that I like, I normaly download the whole album!

10. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Yep. And because of this, most people who go about their lives without the time to properly sit and listen to an album wont really bother. I make a point everyday to just lay in bed for a while, put my earphones in, turn the volume up near full, and just concentrate fully on the music, and take in all the different instruments and basically just lose myself in the music.

For most, if a song thats a bit different or original comes along, they just skip it for a more familiar one. Its not helped by having the media, especially radio constantly ramming tripe mercilessly into our ears.

11. Pubclown

Pubclown Registered User

Supports:
    Blackpool
    I had to resurrect this thread with their leg of the UK tour starting this weekend.

Sooooo, who is going to either the Manchester gig or either Wembley gigs?

12. Gunner32

Gunner32 Surf Solar

Supports:
    Arsenal and Wrexham
    I'm going to Manchester. There's going to be a large after party at the Premier Inn hotel in Salford after the gig. :D

13. Pubclown

Pubclown Registered User

Supports:
    Blackpool
    You'll have to let us know what it's like. I'm at the main Saturday Wembley show. Biffy & White Lies supporting just to make the day even better!!

Go on youtube and type in Muse San Siro and check out that stage and moving platform, plus a UFO. All looks amazing except Matt's costume for Plug In Baby:laugh::no:

14. Ihsaan

Ihsaan Registered User

I'm also going to the Saturday Wembley show. It best be good, I'm missing West Brom Spurs for it!

15. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    They'll blow your mind mate.

Best live band on the planet.

I would literally stab a baby to get to one of these shows, saw them at Glastonbury and had the privilege of being there when Edge joined them on stage. Im actually quite proud of that, one to tell my children in the future. The set was a little short though, it was just all the hits, plus the U2 cover.

I was the only one going mental for Citizen Erased, and screaming out my lame falsetto like a girl during the piano outro...I got some right looks, but f*ck them.

I really want to be at one of their gigs with everyone there being fans of Muse. I wanna be in the crowd that will go absolutely insane just like me when Stockholm Syndrome kicks in, and know the words to a Muse song other than Supermassive Black Hole...

16. Pubclown

Pubclown Registered User

Supports:
    Blackpool
    I wasn't sure if they were playing Citizen Erased until I saw the Manchester set list

# Uprising
    # Supermassive Black Hole
    # New Born
    # Map of the Problematique
    # Butterflies & Hurricanes
    # Guiding Light Play Video
    # Hysteria
    # Citizen Erased
    # Nishe
    # United States Of Eurasia
    # Feeling Good
    # MK Jam
    # Undisclosed Desires
    # Resistance
    # Starlight
    # Time Is Running Outo,
    # Power of Soul Outro RiffHouse Of The Rising Sun Intro, Power of Soul Outro
    # Unnatural Selection
    # Encore:
    # Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture Play Video
    # Stockholm Syndrome
    # Encore 2:
    # Take A Bow Play
    # Plug In Baby Play
    # Knights of Cydonia

I really wish they'd drop songs like guiding light in favour of some stuff off Showbiz. Not one sodding song off there:(

17. Gunner32

Gunner32 Surf Solar

Supports:
    Arsenal and Wrexham
    Citizen Erased and Butters were absolutely brilliant. Uprising was great as an opener as everyone went mad. Stockholm was another highlight along with Overture, Knights and Take a Bow.

Knackered right now. Wembley will be rocking next week!

18. Rich

Rich Dece.

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Was an awesome gig at Manchester.

Thought United States of Eurasia went down very well.
    Plug in Baby and Knights of Cydonia made for a quality finish!

3rd time I've seen them now and they still blow my mind!

19. DanSafc

DanSafc Registered User

Supports:
    Sunderland
    They played Citizen Erased, B&H and Take A Bow? I couldn't be any more jealous of people who saw them.

I know this is the Resistance tour and everything but songs like Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires are utter [email protected] when compared to some of the stuff they could be doing from Showbiz or OoS, Micro Cuts anyone?

20. Pubclown

Pubclown Registered User

Supports:
    Blackpool
    Couldn't agree more.

Sadly 4/5 of the crowd wouldn't know Micro Cuts. When I last saw them at Liverpool the crowd went mad for the Resistance stuff but as soon as Cave came on everyone just looked puzzled.

I wouldn't mind but the Resistance is possibly their weakest album IMO.