1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Newcastle Takeover

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by A Gooner, May 27, 2019.

1. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    United fans organised the protest and provided the lawyers who petitioned the monopolies and mergers commission, the person that wrote the case was a United fan and they all bought shares in the company to attend the meetings as minority shareholders and object to the takeover, filming it and releasing it to the news.

The Blair government at the time was pro murdoch and pro takeover before that action.

Sometimes Wikipedia doesn’t tell the whole story compared to those of us that remember it.

That protest by MUISA actually spawned a whole set of independent supporters associations who campaigned against buy outs and floating of clubs on the stock exchange, including SISA at Saints - who I was involved with at the time - who protested the reverse takeover by rupert Lowe and Southampton leisure holdings.

Back then fans had some bollocks to them and stood up to money in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Yes that pretty much was the gist of it on this programme .

Protest groups set up and meetings held .

Even News night had guests from both sides arguing the toss.

Obviously wasn’t the social media we have now and I guess Sky weren’t camped out side Old Trafford getting the latest news or fans reactions.

I am sure the fans pressure on the Government would have helped.

StretfordEnd and FranniesTache like this.
  3. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    Back then protests were about more than success they were about who owned the game. I can even remember the old chelsea lot being anti Abramovich because they’d just had Harding and thought their club was being stolen from the normal fans.

These days fans only care about success, and the soul of clubs has been ripped out in favour of soccer am “banter”.

It’s genuinely sad to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StretfordEnd and Super_horns like this.
  4. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    Newcastle are a big club without being a big club. They're a well supported club, that's about it.

They've not won a single thing of note in the majority of our lifetimes and I'm fairly sure their crowds weren't even that impressive pre premier league.

Clubs like West Ham are as big as, if not bigger than Newcastle.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  5. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I agree! There’s quite a lot of similarities between the clubs tbh, the main one imo being a very well supported club, that’s had very little success.

6. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
  7. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    FSG F**KING OFF
    The whole f**king thing stinks. I feel sorry for Newcastle fans, even those that seem willing to sell their clubs soul for this shit.

8. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You denounce Newcastle as being a big club for lack of silverware and champion West Ham who in the same period you mention (your lifetime) have won nothing ;)

Crowds pre-Premier League are pretty similar, but Newcastle Uniteds average over the PL is far higher.

Would put these two, along with Villa in the same category to be honest.

9. SJ Mackem

SJ Mackem Red and White Army!

Supports:
    SAFC
    Brilliant stuff, and i hope it continues. I really hope the papers go after them and dig up any shit there is to dig up.

And in the meantime the geordies can slowly isolate themselves from the rest of the country by dancing in the streets and going to games with tea towels on their heads.

From everyone's second team under KK to the most hated and despised team in the country.

SAFC7777 likes this.
  10. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Not really fussed about the bigger club but not really fair to compare average attendances when West Ham were restricted by the capacity of theirs for a large chunk of it.

Newcastle's average attendances are helped by the fact they're in a bigger stadium. Upton Park's capacity was only 35,000, St James Park is 52,000 so even if only 70% full it's going to have higher attendances than most clubs in this league.

Without looking, Newcastle's average attendances are probably higher than Liverpool's too?

Addick By Nature likes this.
  11. King_Kenny

King_Kenny JUSTICE FOR THE 97!

Supports:
    Liverpool
    But to be fair to the Geordies theyve pretty much filled it most seasons despite some of the dross theyve played, even averaging 51,000 in the Championship last season they were down there. I do get what youre saying though.

I just feel given a bit of success, Ive always looked on Newcastle having the potential to be huge.

Billwill likes this.
  12. Billwill

Billwill Restoration

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I think that if you're a Sunderland fan you may have never had Newcastle as your favourite second team, but hey ho, maybe you did.
    IMO those who hate effectivey are hurting. It's not a good emotion to have. I can see why our takeover is especially hard on the mackems, and must deal with it how you choose. I'll not be winding up my mackem friends. I do want to keep them.

13. SJ Mackem

Supports:
    SAFC
    Exactly the type of reaction i would expect from a fanbase that constantly live in their own little bubble. Funny how quickly you react to my post despite all the fans of other clubs that are slating this takeover. Seems no matter how much you try to downplay it, you can't stand a mackem having an opinion on it.

Dig yourself well and truly in though, as i think there's going to be a lot more shit comes out in the coming weeks and you and the rest of the geordie nation will have to be in tip top form to justify it all.

14. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Recently on a train to Newcastle and overheard some Newcastle fans talking about how the pundits hate on Newcastle and go after the club for stuff they wouldn't go after other clubs for.

Quite frankly, looool. Talk about small man syndrome...

SAFC7777 and SJ Mackem like this.
  15. Billwill

Billwill Restoration

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    That's about as extreme as its possible to be.
    No point in us ever communicating again. But enjoy.

We're a one club city and for many years it was the only centre of attention in people's lives - so traditionally it hasn't been sharing its fan base. But what are fans to club owners these days? On the whole not much.

16. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Fans showing up to the ground with towels on their heads and flags supporting an oppressive murderous homophobic regime. LGBT supporters group welcoming the owners. Now reports of a racist incident from a Newcastle fan.

Never have I ever wanted a club to go down more. Personally think anybody who has defended Newcastle fans in all this has been way off the mark. They're seriously letting themselves down at pretty much every turn.

17. SJ Mackem

Supports:
    SAFC
    Was gonna say the same. But i'm not allowed an opinion on this matter because i have an SR post code.

Luckily you don't so Bill won't reply to you telling you how hurt and extreme you are.

18. Addick By Nature

Addick By Nature Registered User

Supports:
    Charlton
    I said the “majority of our lifetimes” :)

A lot on here will have at least seen West Ham lift the FA cup.

I wasn’t denouncing Newcastle as such, just stating that there are plenty of clubs at least on par with them who don’t get talked up nearly as much.

19. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Crowd sizes are irrelevant these days anyway. It's not were the revenue is.

20. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    Some of us saw them lift the World Cup. :thumb