1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Newcastle Takeover

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by A Gooner, May 27, 2019.

1. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    He's got a face I would never tire of punching.

CPFC2010 likes this.
  2. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I wouldn't be surprised if Howe takes his DOF from Bournemouth (Richard Hughes).
    Howe is all about youth development. We are now and will be benefiting for years after his departure from the work he did behind the scenes in that area.

Billwill likes this.
  3. Loyal2AFCB

Loyal2AFCB Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    [​IMG]

4. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    I don't like Warnock either :shrug

Loyal2AFCB likes this.
  5. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Don’t know why they didn’t bring Rafa back, unless he’d not want it, but can’t see that tbf. A large number of Everton fans want him out as they can’t get past the Liverpool connection, they’re in a poor run of form at the minute so the timing is good, and he’s hailed as a hero at Newcastle. He’s a manager that’s proven everything that Newcastle need proven to them in an appointment. He can keep a struggling side up in the Prem (as proven with his prospective suitors) he’s proven he can win things and mix it with the big clubs as proven a number of times. And if the worst should happen and he couldn’t keep them up this time he’s proven he can get them out of the championship.
    He’s got credit in the bank with a lot of the fans and would likely be afforded more leeway than others regardless of the way the season pans out.
    For whatever it cost to get him out of his contract I think would be worth it.
    And I don’t think Everton would be all that bothered by it tbf. As long as they could land a replacement.

6. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Would have been the most logical appointment but he's already come out and said he's going to stay loyal to Everton.

7. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Roughly translates to:

[​IMG]

Pagnell likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    If Gerrard's achievements were only domestic that would probably stand but on the basis the Scottish league is that poor then it only makes Rangers record in Europe all the more impressive, doesn't it? Gerrard's had Rangers competing against teams from stronger leagues.

They were knocked out of Europe by a team from Luxembourg in the season prior to Gerrard taking over. They've since gone toe to toe with some decent Europa League quality sides.

18/19: Qualification for the groups for the first time in a long time. Third in the groups.
    19/20: Progressed through a group including Porto, Young Boys and Feyenoord before beating Braga in the knockouts.
    20/21: Topped a group including Benfica, Standard Liege and Lech Poznan before beating Antwerp in the knockouts.
    21/22: Time will tell but they'll likely go through to the knockouts with a win in their next home game v Sparta

I think what's he done at Rangers is pretty impressive and is the only job we're able to judge him on.

Whether he can replicate it is another matter but I'm not sure why people are so quick to write him off given he's yet to show anything to the contrary that he's a good manager. Rangers will always have one of the top 2 budgets in Scotland so despite obviously playing his part in getting Rangers competing again, they're financially stronger than almost everyone in Scotland.
    Stopping the 10 and having Rangers compete in Europe does enhance the job he's done though. It's not solely domestic.

As for Newcastle and Howe.. I think that's a nice appoiintment. It could easily backfire but he'll get Newcastle playing some attacking football and they've got decent attacking players who'll probably thrive off that. Wilson's proven he can score goals in a very defensive team and has worked with Howe previously.

I know he spent a lot at Bournemouth but then he also came up with what was probably a league one / Championship set of players so had to spend money if they were going to compete at this level. Things obviously went wrong in the final season but they were punching above their weight being up here as long as they were. They're a much smaller club than Norwich who've rarely done consecutive seasons at this level.

The only concern is Howe flopped a bit when he left Bournemouth the first time. That said, it was with Burnley who are notorious for tightening the purse strings so probably weren't the easiest circumstances to manage. Credit to Dyche for how well he's done there but Howe might thrive a bit more at a club likely to give him support in the transfer windows.

I think it's an exciting enough appointment for Newcastle fans. It's a good opportunity for Howe to prove he's not a one-club manager too. I think there are still a lot of justifiable questions around him that he's now able to try and prove people wrong.

#1188 Jason, Nov 5, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  9. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    It's so funny that people always say his defensive organisation was the issue when the only reason we went down was that our attackers had stopped trying. Would love to see the look on Fraser & Wilson's face right now.

He'll smash it there, he's at his best in the face of adversity and they'll be a much more entertaining team to watch than the dross Benitez & Bruce served up.

Regarding his spending, he barely spent more than any other mid-table club and when you actually look at his signings, overall they were much better than the average comparable manager. People loved to slate his transfers but in reality the only big flop who we lost money on is Ibe. Mepham is a dud too but he's still here I suppose. I could list about 10 examples of good he is in the transfer market.

Billwill and AFCB-Nutter like this.
  10. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    So he's immediately got two of their best players offside? (Granted Fraser hasn't done much so far but he could be good again)

If Wilson has a problem with Howe then Newcastle have an even bigger problem. He's basically their only hope.

11. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    This gets even better, so they're going from Emery to the whole Bournemouth staff of 2018 :laugh::laugh:. I know you Bournemouth fans are biased and blinkered like Gal is with Lampard, Howe is going to fail so hard in this job. I just hope when he takes them down, the owners give up and pull the plug

12. Billwill

Billwill Restoration

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I'm not sure Fraser has had a single good game for us yet. He needs to show what he can do. The players he has were mid table last season - let's see if Howe can get the best out of them.

13. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I think the relationship with Wilson was/is repairable, yes it went pear shaped towards the end but Wilson had a lot going on in his personal life.

A couple years earlier but Ritchie left on good terms so no worries there. We just couldn't pay what Newcastle offered but got a good fee so wished him well.

Fraser on the other hand, it was a more blatant and public in his downing of tools and his contempt for Howe & the club by the end. Howe agreed we'd sell him 12 months prior to the end of his contract, but after lots of rumour and media links (most strongly with Arsenal I seem to remember), no club actually ended up bidding for him. We hoped he'd sit tight and carry on for the last year of his contract, but Fraser got the hump that Howe went back on his promise, and he publicly stopped caring/trying. Due to an injury crisis we had no option but to carry on playing him. It got quite ugly towards the end.

It would need a heck of a clearing the air talk on day 1 to fix, but probably doable now that it's a couple years in the past.

Howe is to us what Clough was to you, of course we're biased.

Kirby likes this.
  14. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Who was that under? You should get him back.

15. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Divock Origi for £80m Eddie, you know you want to....

16. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Gutted we sold Tammy this summer now. Could have got £50m+ out of Howe I reckon.

17. Billwill

Billwill Restoration

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Ha ha very good.

I rate Dubravka as worth a bunch of points and he's been out injured. He's now fit.
    But I still don't know exactly why we can't win a game this season. Willock isn't scoring but last season he got us up the table almost on his own with goals.

We should have been OK without a takeover and keeping Bruce. But what's that stat about Bruce's wins? 7 in the last 37 games? That means he should be fired, even for ultra low achievers like us.

I'll be surprised if that isn't in the ball park of transfer fees we're offered.
    It'll be show-time in January. Let's see who blinks first...

18. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Wilson much less so than Fraser. I know for a fact that dressing room fell apart and Wilson definitely was only playing at about 70% effort in 19/20 however I expect they'll move past it.

However I think Fraser will get bombed out asap. His behaviour that season was appalling and unlike Wilson, he definitely had a massive falling out with Howe. A shame really as I think Fraser is just thick & was poorly advised but there's no excuse for what he did.

The main reason I don't want him to fail is because if they go down you'll be on the point of self combustion, considering they'd have parachute payments and Saudi money!

Kirby likes this.
  19. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    You will because you’ll need deals done as early as possible to get through January.

20. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    TBF I understand sacking Bruce. I don't understand replacing him with Howe though, especially given your ambitions.