1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RedDevilsShinja, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur

Lets see... a post about police, an equals sign, and police brutality.

2. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon hour. back. GET IT?

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Lol, that was clearly a joke. I even put a whistling emoji to show I wasn't being serious.

3. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    sure

4. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Lol, is that all then? A post of me clearly being facetious.

5. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Totally normal day in a totally normal country.

6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Seems odd that we can't go on holiday but are accepting 8,000 tourists a day into the UK. :hmmm

Thousands of tourists are still being let into the UK every day even though Britons have been banned from overseas trips - with recent arrivals including a holidaymaker from Peru who wrote on a visa form that he 'wanted to visit Big Ben'.

Of the around 20,000 people arriving in the country every day, some 40 percent - or 8,000 - are tourists, figures compiled by Border Force staff revealed.

This rises to 80 or 90% at Gatwick and Eurostar terminals, while at Heathrow the proportion is around 20 to 30%, according to data gathered by whistle-blowers.

Hundreds are arriving on tourist visas issued by the Home Office, The Times reported, in a revelation shadow Home Secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds called 'outrageous'.

Despite overseas tourists continuing to enter the UK - provided they have a negative Covid test - international holidays for Britons will be not be permitted until May 17 at the earliest and anyone trying to leave for a holiday can be hit with a £5,000 fine at the airport.

Passengers have also had to have a form declaring that their trip is allowed under lockdown rules from early last month, but Border Force staff said they had no powers to deny them entry as long as they had followed testing and quarantine requirements.

8,000 foreign tourists are allowed into UK every DAY | Daily Mail Online

7. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    Any measure to forcibly educate teachers is ok with me, particularly if it involves getting whacked with a cane across the backside. :D

8. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Pictures of the new standardised blazers for every kid to wear at school have been leaked as well.

If you are too poor to afford one of these, our caring Government will provide for you. However, you will have to work off your debt for 12 months at one of the new British hard labour camps now producing all union jack merchandise. [​IMG]

Riverside and JTC77 like this.
  9. 83royal

83royal Registered User

People are intimidated by the union jack now? This whole union jack on every building idea stems from the BBC incident when they commented on the size of the flag in the background. The government now getting involved in a childish tit for tat trump style back and fourth with the media. And social media. Just leave it alone. I don't mind the flag on government buildings, or on ya house if you want to for that matter. Just cant stand seeing a childish back and fourth between the media and the government. Just keep the flag in your interviews and let the "terrified of a bit of cloth" brigade keep talking about it.

10. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I bet Trump wishes he could have done this.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law that could keep him in office in the Kremlin until 2036, the government said on Monday.

The legislation allows him to run for two more six-year terms once his current stint ends in 2024. It follows changes to the constitution last year.

Those changes were backed in a public vote last summer and could allow Putin, 68, to potentially remain in power until the age of 83. He is currently serving his second consecutive term as president and his fourth in total.

The reform, which critics cast as a constitutional coup, was packaged with an array of other amendments that were expected to garner popular support, such as one bolstering pension protections.

The law signed by Putin limits any future president to two terms in office, but resets his term count. It prevents anyone who has held foreign citizenship from running for the Kremlin.

The legislation was passed in the lower and upper houses of parliament last month.

Putin signs law that could keep him in Kremlin until 2036

11. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    83royal likes this.
  12. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Bus set on fire in Belfast on sixth night of unrest in Northern Ireland
    Bus set on fire and photographer attacked in disorder in Belfast ahead of emergency meeting
    [​IMG]

This doesn't seem very good.

13. 83royal

83royal Registered User

Limits any future president to 2 terms, also resets his term count. Handy that lol. Nothing surprises me with him though

14. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
  15. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Protests and riots are different things.

If you can find any posts of me supporting protesters beating up innocent bystanders or destroying a bus then have at it, that went so well last time x

16. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    You were more than happy to give the riots and borderline domestic terrorism a pass at the Kill the Bill riots.... sorry protests, and say that the violence there was just an unfortunate byproduct of heavy handed police responses:

I'm shocked that you are simultaneously disgusted by attacking a bus but do not condemn the burning of an occupied police van by 'peaceful protesters' .

[​IMG]

From what I can gather any protest that leads to violence from people you don't agree with politically is not ok but riots from those you do agree with politically is completely necessary. The hypocrisy here is staggering, but unfortunately completely expected from an ideologue such as yourself.

Further evidence of this hypocrisy can be found in the US election thread.

Mowgli likes this.
  17. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    @Guyett lol. I don't know what is going on in Belfast at this current time to cause this flare up, hence why I said "this doesn't seem very good"... feel free to educate me on the backstory.

The problem is you seem borderline obsessed with me at the moment, and painting me as a one size fits all ideologue.... so yeah feel free to go fine times when I contradict myself, you'll find plenty as you will with anybody who is just reacting to world events as they see them.

I've said numerous times in relation to what is going on in England that if police choose to take heavy handed approaches to peaceful protests then you will end up creating tension and giving way to violence and then eventually rioting. That is my viewpoint.

But you already failed to show that I just hate all police and every police officer and then scampered off, unsurprisingly you've come for another dig... But rather than hashing up old feuds for you to get a stiffy over, why don't you tell me the background for this current issue?

#917 MrLeeLemon, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:17 PM
  18. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Looks like it is a combination things. There was a strong feeling of resentment over the current border issues created by Brexit and the subsequent backtracking and misinformation from No 10. Then the PSNI were cracking down hard on Loyalist paramilitary and drug organizations, but the straw that broke the camels back was the inaction from the PSNI over a large number of Sinn Fein party members attending the funeral of Bobby Storey, and then almost every main player from the Unionist parties calling for the resignation of the PSNI chief over this. This all kicked off the protests, which has resulted in many members of the police being assaulted and injured (I think latest number is over 50), and the scene has turned progressively uglier and uglier. I'm kind of shocked with the lack of reporting on British media about it tbh.

As for you, I find you to be a hypocritical condescending ideologue arsehole if I'm being honest. Just because you have not outright said that you hate police doesn't mean that it doesn't come across in your posts. CharlieBigPotato is a massive racist, yet he managed to get away so long posting on this forum as he rarely actually posted outright racist material that was worthy of a ban.
    I've said my bit, I'll stop sniping now and just add you to my ignore list.

19. MrLeeLemon

Supports:
    Eng-land
    Yeah, it has barely been getting a look in until yesterday... and it has been brewing on for days. Boris Johnson is going to have to get involved more than just showing "concern" you imagine.

20. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Deciding to leave the EU wouldn't automatically kick things off, or provide the excuse to do so, depending on how you view things. A soft, single market Brexit, would have worked, and a customs union type soft ish Brexit, would have probably allowed the Irish border to remain open without checks in the Irish sea. However, it will be difficult, with the current deal to avoid pissing off one side or the other.

There are valid reasons why we would not want to be in a customs union, but by the same token, hard Brexit politicians should not have burred their heads in the sand, and pretended that such a deal wasn't going to create this issue. Johnson stood in front of NI business people and flat out told them there would be no border in the Irish Sea. I can understand why there is resentment there.

British media and politicians are reluctant to confront the issue, and I don't think the EU want to either, as it is a tough one solve, but it shouldn't have come as a surprise. The UK left the the EU so it could protect its borders, and if we aren't in the CU/SM then the EU would want to protect the integrity of their market. You rarely get benefits without any consequences, and this is a real problem.

SamB_SCFC likes this.