1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RedDevilsShinja, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    This is an annual thing, and we are used to seeing temples being vandalised during Durga puja in Bangladesh.
    This year the intensity was much bigger and more violent because of this deliberate mischief.

2. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United

Scary stuff.

3. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Violence has continued and is now spreading in Bangladesh. Entire Hindu villages being burnt down.

4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    The Met in the news again:

The Metropolitan Police shared the full personal details of a woman who complained about a male officer’s aggression when arresting a vulnerable female with that officer – including her home address.

The 36-year-old, from Lewisham, south London, witnessed the caution and arrest of a woman and her partner following a suspected incidence of domestic violence in June.

She lodged a complaint through the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) after witnessing a male police officer repeated shout “f*** off” at the woman he was handling, and push her on the chest causing her to fall into the road.

“The behaviour of the police officer struck me as utterly wrong,” the woman, who did not want to be identified, told The Independent. “Regardless of whether he felt under threat, it was unacceptable to swear and use force against a vulnerable woman who may have already been assaulted by her partner.”

She told the IOPC that if the woman complained about her treatment at the hands of the officer, she would be happy to back up her version of events.

The IOPC passed her complaint to the Metropolitan Police to handle. The woman received a letter later in June confirming that her concerns would be looked into, and confirming that the force had “also sent a copy of our record to the police officer(s), who is/are the subject of your complaint”. That record included the complainant’s full contact details.

“I felt vulnerable and exposed knowing that he knew that I had complained and where I lived, and that I probably wouldn’t have complained in the first place if I’d known this would happen,” she said.

The complaint was eventually passed on to the Lewisham local police branch to investigate. The woman called to express her concern about the sharing of her personal data, but the professional standards officer at that office told her that standard procedures had been followed.

She eventually spoke with the officer’s line manager but said she was met with little understanding over her fears, and was reassured the officer in question was “a very reasonable guy”.

“This was about 10 days after Wayne Couzens had admitted the kidnap of Sarah Everard six miles away, so it seemed particularly weird that none of the officers I’d talked to seemed to understand why as a woman I’d be particularly worried about a potentially violent police officer having my address,” she said.

The Met Police admitted the personal details were shared with the male officer whose conduct she criticised, but said it believed the case to be “an isolated incident”. It added that personal information should be stripped from any document before it reaches the subject of a complaint.

Nevertheless, it has now overhauled its complaints form to prevent the same error happening again, and issued a reminder to forces on how to handle such personal information.

Jamie Klingler, a spokesperson for the Reclaim These Streets campaign, said the incident was “another example of the Met’s inward-looking approach to policing the capital. They continue to protect their own to the detriment of women and girls across London.”

A Met spokesperson said: “The complaint was referred to South East BCU’s Professional Standards Unit to investigate. During this process, the complainant’s contact details were passed to the officer who was the subject of the complaint.

“This was done in error – the form used has since been adapted to remove the details, and staff have been reminded of the importance of checking documents before despatch.”

The investigation into the original complaint concluded last month that the service provided by the officers involved in the arrest was acceptable.

Metropolitan Police handed officer personal details of woman who complained about him

5. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    Pennsylvania train passengers used phones ‘to record rape’, authorities say

Passengers on a transit train in Pennsylvania allegedly held up their phones to film the rape of a woman by a man for more than 40 minutes, instead of stepping in to help her, authorities said.

There were less than a dozen people present, “but sufficient to intervene,” who recorded the incident but did not help the woman, officials said.

While 35-year-old Fistor Ngoy allegedly continued to grope, harass and assault the woman, at least 24 train stops passed on the Market-Frankford line on the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Septa), the police chief for the transit body said.

Not a single witness of the attack bothered to call 911 and seek intervention as the man, believed to be homeless, continued to assault the woman, police officials said.

6. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Plane drops sewage on Windsor man in his garden

A man and his garden were "splattered in a very unpleasant way" when human waste was dropped from a plane, a council meeting has heard.

Speaking to The Royal Borough Of Windsor & Maidenhead's aviation forum, councillor Karen Davies said she was "horrified" to hear of the incident.

She explained how his "whole garden, and garden umbrellas, and him" were all "covered".

The dumping happened "fairly centrally" to Windsor in mid-July.

Plane toilets store sewage in special tanks, but their contents are normally disposed of once the plane has landed.

The councillor for Clewer East told the meeting she was contacted by a constituent about the "dreadful" episode, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

"I know a number of incidents happen every year with frozen sewage from planes, but this wasn't frozen and his whole garden was splattered in a very unpleasant way," she said.

"He was out in the garden at the time, so a really horrible, horrible experience."

She added: "Hopefully it never happens again to any of our residents."

John Bowden, the councillor for Eton & Castle, called it a "one in a billion chance".

He suggested the warm weather meant the excrement could have "come out as a more 'fluidy' item".

Whitfield parish councillor Geoff Paxton, who has worked at airports for 40 years, called the incident "very rare" and one he had not seen in a long time.

He said: "We used to have problems with blue ice [frozen human waste and disinfectant] on arrivals but that was because those toilets used to leak."

Vacuum toilets in modern aircraft were much more secure, he explained.

However, when there was less pressure below 6,000ft [1,829m], "it could well be that something came out of the vent at low altitude", he said.

'Had to take it on the chin'
    Resident Andrew Hall, who was present at the virtual meeting, said water companies were fined "millions" when discharging sewage into rivers, and "when an aircraft dispatches it onto people's heads I think that's more heinous, frankly".

Ms Davies said the resident had decided not to pursue an insurance claim.

"Obviously he wasn't going to do that for the sake of a couple of garden umbrellas, in terms of bumping up his premium, so he's just sort of had to take it on the chin," she said.

The name of the airline has not been shared with the BBC, though Ms Davies said it was "based a very long way away from here".

She added that the resident contacted the airline, which denied its plane was in the area, but later confirmed it when the resident was able to identify the aircraft via a route tracking app.

The BBC has contacted the Civil Aviation Authority for comment.

-----------------------------------------------------------

".....So he's just had to take it on the chin......" was a personal favourite line of mine from this gem :laugh:

SamB_SCFC, Zydus and StretfordEnd like this.
  8. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Motorist fined after CCTV confuses his number plate with woman’s T-shirt

[​IMG]

David Knight was baffled when he received a fine for driving in a bus lane in Bath – about 120 miles away from his home.

But the builder and his wife, Paula, who live in Dorking, Surrey, laughed when they examined the photographic evidence of their alleged infraction and saw a woman with the word “Knitter” on her T-shirt, which the computer had mixed up with Knight’s registration plate, KN19TER, the Daily Mail reported.

The private registration on his Volkswagen van is a nod to his nickname, Knighter.

The penalty charge notice, issued by Bath and North East Somerset council, includes a CCTV photo of Pulteney Bridge in Bath, where the alleged contravention took place.

A second photo shows an image of a woman wearing a protective mask, handbag over her shoulder and T-shirt declaring “Knitter”.

Paula Knight, a bookkeeper, told the Daily Mail she contacted the council to alert officials to their mistake and they agreed to cancel the £90 fine.

The alleged offence took place in June but Knight, 54, did not receive the penalty notice until last month.

Paula Knight, also 54, a mother of two, said the council call handler “burst out laughing” when she alerted her to the error.

“The fine had already gone up from £60 to £90 because we hadn’t paid within 30 days,” she told the Daily Mail. “Obviously no one had looked at the picture and it had been computer-generated.”

She added: “We’ve been laughing about it a lot. There was no way I was going to pay for a woman walking in a bus lane with a funny T-shirt on.”

SamB_SCFC, JTC77 and StretfordEnd like this.
  9. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    He was shit on from a great height..
    :laugh:

Tomohawk likes this.
  10. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    [​IMG]

SamB_SCFC and Tomohawk like this.
  11. SJ Mackem

SJ Mackem Red and White Army!

Supports:
    SAFC
  12. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
  13. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Should be whoever handed him a gun not filled with blanks.

14. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Apparently shot the director as well.

The @Muller rightly says, it's fault of the person responsible with handling the prop.

This is reminds me of the unfortunate death of Brandon Lee.

15. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I always assumed they were toy guns or harmless.

TLC likes this.
  16. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    It happened with Bruce Lee’s son, but he was a actor. Why is someone discharging a weapon at 2 people that aren’t part of the plot?.
    Something a bit off there.

17. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC

18. The Unbeliever

Supports:
    LCFC
    Is that supposed to mean something :laugh:

19. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    The camera often replaces the "people who are part of the plot."

20. The Unbeliever

Supports:
    LCFC
    Corrected for you. I doubt very much that the camera is actually anywhere near the people in the scenes you posted.
    As I said the full details haven’t emerged, it just seemed odd to me that’s all.