1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Next Manager to be Sacked

Discussion in 'Championship' started by RedDogChris, Aug 19, 2021.

1. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    But he ticks boxes of bringing through youth and signing young players. He'll probably turn us down anyway, I don't think he would have left Swansea to join a club in our state and risk an early relegation on his CV

Sent from my 6025H_EEA using Tapatalk

2. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Apparently he's still on the wage bill at Swansea and so requires a compensation package to be agreed as well

3. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    It looks like Cooper will be highly likely now

4. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Already splitting the fans on Twitter because of his generally pragmatic style, which seems to be built on defence. Already feels like it will only take a few defeats for some fans to turn on him.

Certainly not an appointment that is exciting me, but then again I was very excited at the appointment of Hughton

5. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I thought Cooper played very boring football at Swansea but it's undeniable that he did well overall. Certainly seemed to make the most of not having huge resources at his disposal which may suit Forest considering the mess they're in.

If he's smart he'll bring Arter back in January to give them all a kick up the arse.

6. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Yeah I'm not exactly enthused either but it will be good for the likes of Mighten and Johnson as they've already worked with him at youth level and quite a few more as well

7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    What's this mess we are in, in terms of resources?

And as for Arter, that little **** is more than welcome to stay in London

8. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    'The fans on Twitter' always worrying! Read one tweet about Eddie Howe from a Forest fan. Classic.

Put it to my Forest mate (ST holder of 35 years) and his response..'F**kwit' :rofl:

We've all got them. Not as many as Watford though I grant you.......

9. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    The problem at Forest is that the toxic atmosphere on Twitter (which included those who admitted to going after Hughton the minute his appointment was announced) really spread to the CG and that is exactly what will happen again once enough people realise that Cooper is just a younger Hughton

RednBlacklife likes this.
  10. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Not in terms of resources, in the sense of your team is generally a mess, so it could be beneficial if Cooper is scrappy and can work with what he's got.

Poor Harry :(

Tomohawk likes this.
  11. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Ah, got ya. Yeah he does seem the sort who can make good with what he has available. I don't know what sort of system he will go with, but he seems to favour 3 at the back and to be fair we have 3 solid centre halves in Worrall, McKenna and Soh so he could make that work. There has been some varying reports on what he tends to then do ahead of the defenders, whether it is a simple 3-5-2 or some weird and wonderful variation on it, but the biggest piece of the puzzle to solve with our current lot is bridging the gap between defence and attack. We either seem to be stuck trying to pass it around the defence, or launching it forward for Lyle Taylor to not compete for whereas we need to find a link in the middle of the park. I think that if he cracks that we will suddenly look a lot more threatening in attack - albeit with a forward line lacking a goal threat :laugh:

And don't worry about Harry, he is much happier away from Forest - he never liked it at the CG anyway!

AVA likes this.
  12. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Arter will never be coming back, the signing symbolized everything that's gone wrong under the Greeks really and that's finally led to a switch in strategy

Tomohawk likes this.
  13. Ooh-to-be-a...

Ooh-to-be-a... Registered User

Supports:
    Huddersfield town
    I've just seen something amusing, it was a list of possible Forest managers and Carlos Corberan was 2nd favourite behind Chris Wilder! upto a few games ago a majority of Town fans (and I hold my hand up!) would be queuing up to drive him there, I reckon the car park would have been fuller than match day, fickle! :laugh:

14. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Coopers officially appointed, good luck to him I hope finally we have a manager that's part of a longer term project but he has to hit the ground running as well starting with three points against Millwall over the weekend ideally.

15. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Cooper seems like a solid decent appointment, but then I thought the same about Hughton!
    Very hard for any manager to succeed anywhere unless the fans buy into it and give it a go.

16. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Hughton could have still worked if he was given full control of transfer(which I'm glad he didn't btw), I think he was going through the motions though after the summer of change.

At least Cooper fully buys into this new setup I already think a couple of players may have already been brought in for him now I think about it (Lowe and Spence have worked under him before)

17. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    The entire Summer transfer window was devised entirely around a different formation to the one Hughton stuck with. I wouldn't be surprised if contact with Cooper has been ongoing for months now and he was having his say in who we signed

RedDogChris likes this.
  18. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Which is abit morally wrong but management is dog eat dog full of hypocrites (Hughton jumped into Lamouchi's grave who jumped into MON's etc etc)

19. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    It is wrong but to be fair the route Hughton was heading down was pretty obvious from very early on in this season - the sacking was very inevitable. If Murphy has been in contact with Cooper and brought in players he wanted, then you could argue it is a clever move if both parties knew that an appointment was unlikely until after the window had shut.

Not sure if it is clever enough to be classed as having people on strings though....... ;) :D

20. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    An interesting one. I don't think the style will particularly change too much. Cooper's strengths are defensive ones, and he's a bit limited in terms of setting up in a way that will create a lot of chances outside of set pieces and individual quality.

I think regardless of whether he plays a 3-5-2, or a 4-3-3, he's shown he's definitely capable of setting up well defensively and he's certainly developed and improved a lot of the defenders he had here - Guehi, Cabango, C. Roberts, Rodon, Bidwell. Another key strength is his ability to bring in players he knows in the transfer market, James Garner would be one he'd have wanted to sign regardless, but I'm sure he'll be keen to get a window under his belt.

Weaknesses really a lack of creativity, a reliance on the individual quality of the likes of Guehi, Ayew, Connor Roberts, and that he actively didn't particularly want his midfielders to show for or want the ball.

RedDogChris likes this.