1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by T1G3R5, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Ravens have been awful the last two games offensively and won both!!

2. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Also WTF WFT?

8 points up. 4th quarter about 3:40 left on the clock 4th and 4 at the Seahawks 22.

Field goal and you are 11 points up (so two score game) with 3:30 left for the opposition.

You **** it up and you’re 8 points a head (1 TD and 2ptc) so one score game with 3:30 left.

Ok, they went for it and got it.
    Great.
    Got to 4th and 3 from the goal line with 2:20 on the clock.

Again, field goal puts you 11 up with 2:20 on the clock.
    They go for it, don’t get it and now it’s still only the 8 points.

I mean Seahawk’s offence has been crap all night but I don’t know why Washington just didn’t kick it (either time) and make it a two score game?!

3. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Seahawks got the TD.
    Didn’t get the 2ptc.

4. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    Kicker Joey Slye did his hammy when running back following the missed extra point, only punter Tress Way available to kick, but he's a lefty. Decision was made at half-time that no FGs or extra points were going to be attempted.

You have to remember that Tress is the first choice holder as well, so it would have been a back up holder, on the opposite side, holding for a back-up kicker - who told the special teams coach that he wasn't confident further than 35 yards out (and that's 35 yards total, not the 35 yard line) and also wasn't comfortable drop kicking it - having the first choice outfit already had a blocked missed extra point. It was the sensible way to go.

Letting a terrible Russ Wilson go down the field in 2 mins was awful defending for a defence that had performed admirably up to then.

5. Si Robin

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    Further to the above, Slye is out for at least 3 weeks meaning WFT will be trying out a 4th kicker of the season this week

6. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    I’m amazed Pete hasn’t been sacked yet. 3-8 with that squad is unforgivable.

7. Si Robin

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    There's clearly big issues there. Wilson doesn't want to be there anymore, I think that much is obvious.

8. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    ah, that explains it.

I guess he’s been there long enough and relatively successful there to buy himself some time.

9. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Deciding to throw when he had Lynch in the backfield should have been the end of him if you ask me. Not that I minded that play call, of course..

10. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Another day at the office for Tom. Brady is 20/26, 216 yards and 2 TD's in the first half.

11. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    As if the Lions won a game (…and ****ed up my accumulator)

Panja likes this.
  12. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    The Pats win again in windy Buffalo. Bill and Josh pounded out the ground game with Mac Jones throwing the ball just four times for nineteen yards and we now go 9-4, two games ahead of the Bills with a bye week still to look forward to.

13. SkyBlueMatt

SkyBlueMatt The failed escape attempt

Supports:
    Coventry City
    Half way through the tough run of games and a perfect record. Titans had a number of their star offensive players out and the Bills game was just madness. The Colts up next will show if they're real contenders. If they win that, top seed is theirs because I think they win the last three (even the bogey game to the Dolphins).

14. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC MLS All Star

Supports:
    USA
    So sad that Demaryius Thomas has passed away at age 33. As a Broncos fan, he was a part of some of my greatest memories for this team. Multiple time Pro-Bowler and one of the best receivers to ever put on the orange and blue. From the tributes I'm seeing he seems to have been beloved by his peers and community for his kindness and work off the field.

I don't really follow athletes much off the field, but I'm glad to hear he will be remembered fondly.

Rest easy. God bless. Go Broncos.

The Valiant likes this.
  15. Panja

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    700 career touchdowns for the GOAT. I see there was a member of the Tampa staff who quickly ran on and retrieved the ball this time.

#5615 Panja, Dec 13, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  16. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Packers are cooking at the moments.

Ravens are garbage and Jackson is injured which on his play in the last three weeks won’t be much of a loss. Shame we don’t have a decent #2 QB

17. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    He still came in and outplayed Baker though :laugh:

Usually I watch the game after the fact, but was following live text yesterday, buzzing at HT, thinking I'd watch it later and really enjoy it... but Cleveland even manage to make wins utterly uninspiring and draining. 0 points in the second half and hanging on, a hair away from losing. This has been a very common theme under Stefanski.

Have to say I thought the AFC N was probably the strongest division in football at the start of the season - and now I don't think there's a single truly strong team in it, but then this is the league as a whole this season. (I do really like how Cinci have developed over the last year or two though.)

18. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I forget, what happened the last milestone with the ball. Did the receiver toss it away to a fan?

Also glad we fot that win, after our defense failed again.

19. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    AFC North is weird at the moment.

It’s like all the teams are at a similar level but all at different points on their curve.

Ravens seemed to have peaked two years ago and are getting worse but still competitive

Steelers are in a decline and desperately need a change at QB but are still competitive

Browns have been upwards since they were the worst team in the NFL but it feels a bit like the Browns and Mayfield himself have hit their ceiling. They are competitive but not good enough to take that next step. I know Browns fans aren’t sold on Mayfield still but who else is there? No one in the draft and now the Browns are competitive they don’t draft in the top 3 every year now.

Bengels are definitely on the up. Burrows is better for having a year in the league and their wide receivers look decent. This season they are competitive within the context of the AFC N but expect them to be comfortably the best team in it next year

two on the decline
    one stagnant
    one on the up
    all kinda on the same level right now

20. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Yes, I can see the Bengals being the best over the next few years. There's a lot of talent there, and Burrow could potentially be the best QB in the division for a while. Pittsburgh seem a very tired team, but you always expect that baseline of tenacity and quality coaching - I was very annoyed that we managed to lose to them, but then the Ravens went and did the same.

I couldn't even say what's gone wrong for us - I think a lot of elements, and we're somehow still over .500. Playcalling has really not been good. Baker is undoubtedly a problem, and it'll all come down to next season, I suppose, but there can be no excuses. I think we're already past the point of excuses to be honest, and I say he's not the guy. I'd struggle to argue that he's materially better now than he was in his first season, just more cautious (and far less potent). I think it'd take true madness to give him a modern lucrative QB extension based on what we've seen so far. There are comparable QBs playing as backups, earning next to nothing.