1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pegasus Bridge

Discussion in 'History & Literature' started by finchel, Sep 6, 2007.

1. finchel

finchel Banned

Supports:
    Dover
    This is the best WWII book i have read. Thoroughly good read. Recommend it to anyone who enjoys this sort of stuff.

It really feels like a movie inside your head, easily read, made a very big impact on how i felt about D-Day too.

Book Descript:

In the early morning hours of June 6, 1944, a small detachment of British airborne troops stormed the German defense forces and paved the way for the Allied invasion of Europe. Pegasus Bridge was the first engagement of D-Day, the turning point of World War II. This gripping account of it by acclaimed author Stephen Ambrose brings to life a daring mission so crucial that, had it been unsuccessful, the entire Normandy invasion might have failed. Ambrose traces each step of the preparations over many months to the minute-by-minute excitement of the hand-to-hand confrontations on the bridge. This is a story of heroism and cowardice, kindness and brutality -- the stuff of all great adventures.

Editor reviews
    Los Angeles Herald Examiner

All the vividness of a movie, and all the intelligence -- in every sense -- of fine military history.

-

Drew Middleton

The New York Times Book Review

An illuminating account of an operation as strategically important as any fought on D-Day.

-

James Pitts

New Orleans Times

A little gem. One that will be drawn from by historians of the future.

-

Noland Norgaard

The Denver Post

The best war story this reviewer has ever read.

-

Noland Norgaard The Denver Post: The best war story this reviewer has ever read.

________

Really is a fantastic book.

2. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Sounds an interesting read,I will search out a copy.The original bridge has now been removed though but the famous cafe Gondree is still open for business (or it was last time I heard).

3. C-T-F-C Warlord

Supports:
    Cheltenham Town FC

That cafe been there for years....

4. crstig

crstig The ShowStopper

Supports:
    Southampton
    I had a brew in there last year.

The book is a great read, about such a daring attack.

5. LWR

LWR Officially Old Skool

Supports:
    wrexham.
    Just finished it and what an excellent read. Literally read it in one sitting. I love things all WW11, but isnt it amazing how with help from the French Resistance our intelligence was far superior to the that of the Germans.

Its books like this that make you respect what them brave men went through even more.

6. ShorhamBlade

ShorhamBlade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    I was at Pegasus bridge last June 6th

7. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Well worth bumping a decade old thread.

8. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The story of Pegasus Bridge is worth reviving again and again. The Cafe was the first liberated building on D-Day, and it was by a handful of British lads.

9. TLC

TLC There Can Be Only One
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    I've been to Pegasus Bridge a couple of times now - I highly recommend a visit if you're in the Normandy area

The Cafe is still there and open for business and it is still run by the Daughter of the family who were 'liberated' - It's a strange place full of dusty memorabilia with overpriced coffee and crap croissants.

The original bridge is now relocated down the road the the Pegasus Museum, you can go and walk on it. The replacement bridge is a very accurate replica and the gun positions along side are still there.

The incredible part about Pegasus Bridge is the short walk around the pond where the gliders landed 50 men in each and they were made of balsa wood - I have a book case that's made of more sturdy stuff than those gliders ......they landed so very close together with such accuracy an incredible feat and such an audacious plan. There are big stone monuments showing where each landed .... incredible to think that they managed it safely and only one person was lost before it all kicked off

10. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    I am currently researching the battle of Crete and met a lady a few weeks back who's husband landed with the first wave by glider near Maleme airfield and Tavronitis bridge. The glider broke up on landing and two of the paratroopers broke their kneecaps on landing.
    He said the fighting was brutal, years later he went back and showed his wife exactly where his glider landed.

Attached Files:

11. SALTIRE

SALTIRE SlĂ inte mhath!

Supports:
    Completing the season
    Necropost I know, but I have this book as well (a mate gave it to me and then we parted ways so I still have it!), and thoroughly recommend it.