1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plymouth Argyle thread

Discussion in 'EFL League One' started by green75, Oct 7, 2018.

1. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth
    Not one yet so I thought I would get one started. Nice to get a win yesterday even though it was scraped but 3 points none the less.
    More importantly the parasite will be handing over to the new owner at the end of this month.

Thoughts and match posts welcome here even if you are a (cough) Brent supporter.

2. Connor.

Connor. Up Town Ryan Brunt

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
    Big enough for our own thread :drink:

Hoping last Saturday is the start of a bit of a mini-run that lifts us out of the relegation zone. I wouldn't change the XI from Saturday for the Oxford game, even with Sarcevic, Ness etc returning from injury. Midfield three of Songo'o, Fox and O'Keefe seems to be the best way at the moment to protect our defence, which has been, er, feeble... at times this season; in the same mould it was the Diagouraga, Fox and Songo'o midfield three last season before we were ready to come out of our shell a bit more.

We are obviously very reliant on Carey and Lameiras to produce anything going forward, but I don't think that's a particularly surprising piece of information. I think as long as those two retain a semblance of form we'll stay up this season at least.

3. PreedyPride

PreedyPride Mediocrates

Supports:
    Barnsley
    After our game last week I overheard two of our fans debating the result of the game and the quality of your team with one suggesting "you never know though, Plymouth might win their next five games" to which his mate replied "if they win their next five games I'll eat my underwear, in fact I'll eat yours if they win five in a row". So if you lot could go on a winning streak that'd be great.

4. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth
    Any hope of building on that scraped win against Wimbledon last Saturday was quickly extinguished on Tuesday when we were destroyed by Swindon reserves in the Checkafraud trophy.
    Oxford will never have a better chance on Saturday to kick start their season and 24th place will rightfully be ours again come 5pm.

5. Connor.

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
    Who cares how we play/what the result is in that competition? :laugh:

The only important story was the return of four injured players and getting minutes under their belt.

6. Connor.

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
  7. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth
    To be fair I'm surprised it took you so long to see which way the wind is blowing under the reluctant bidder.

Since day 1 the property (non) developers intentions have always been clear. Land grabbing.

I await Mr Hallett and what he intends to do to change the 7 year Dynasty of underachievement and austerity.

8. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth
    Heard a rumour were 100k short of the next wages.

Second administration looming. Hope we go bust this time and start again from scratch.
    If we had went pop the first time we would probably be knocking o the door of the football league without the Brentmare.

9. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I can't see why anyone who would want that to happen to their team to be honest mate,i understand your disagreements with the way the club is run but you really want that?

10. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth

You see Mowgs if we had went pop 7 years ago and started again I reckon we would probably be there or thereabouts back in the football league by now, clear of debt, clear of hangers on and clear of the parasitic chairman who has used the club as an excuse for his nefarious land grabbing activities.

As things stand Brent is about to hand the club over to the new owner Simon Hallett at the end of this month. Many Argyle supporters with their heads in the sand will tell you that Mr Brent saved the club.

My answer to that would be look at the mess he's leaving us in. A Grandstand in bits with still NO planning permisssion, rumoured to be struggling to pay players wages AGAIN, the complete basket case on the pitch, bottom of the league, I could go on and on.

You know where I stand with the clubs off field politics so I wont bore you all.

Good luck Simon Hallett, you are going to need it because you are inheriting a total shit cake.

11. Camblius

Camblius Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You guys looked really bad yesterday tbf...

Godolphin likes this.
  12. Connor.

Supports:
    Plymouth Argyle
    Like 99% of 'rumours' that end up on PASOTI/ATD/Free-Chat, I'm going to assume the 'we can't afford to pay the wages!!!' is nonsense. Not that I'm saying everything is hunky dory financially, but come on. I think it undermines the genuine arguments that can be backed up against Brent when stuff like that is spread as gospel; but you're right, he doesn't have much of a legacy to look back on.

Derek Adams hasn't turned into an awful manager in the last twelve or thirteen games but it's likely the realities of the budget he has to work with has caught up this season. He's done fantastically well getting the very best out of some, lets be frank, very average players over the years - I've lost count the number of times we've signed somebody and been told by supporter of another club on here how crap that player was for them - maybe getting the likes of Niall Canavan, Scott Wootton, Tafari Moore, Fred Ladapo and Conor Grant (this list goes on for a while...) is a step too far, even for Adams. I doubt any of the outfield players he signed in the summer would have been signed if he had a better budget. That *is* Brent's Argyle legacy and I think he's been bailed out over the years first by a no-nonsense manager who turned around the whole mentality of the club (Sheridan) and second a manager who has been over-performing for three years (Adams).

Yesterday was properly bad. Possibly our worst performance of the Adams era. Macey flapped at everything, the fullbacks just cannot defend and their contributions going forward do not even come close to making up for that. Ryan Edwards had his worst game in an Argyle shirt; after everything he's gone through physically and mentally, I feel sorry for him thrown completely in the deep end. The midfield were passengers and never looked capable of controlling the game, topped off by Stuart O'Keefe's first half sitter that was more of a threat to the car-park than Oxford's goal. All of this against Karl Robinson's Oxford!! Everything seemed a bit half-arsed and that's incredibly frustrating after looking like we might have turned a corner after the Barnsley and Wimbledon games.

My only hope is the players and management feel so chastised and humiliated by their own performance and the reaction of our supporters that they come out of the blocks flying with a point to prove for our next two matches, both at home. I don't think changing the manager is the answer. It won't solve the structural problems at the club that have undoubtedly contributed to the mess on the pitch. I don't think we'll find another manager who has the CV or skill-set to get the best out of a bad-to-average set of players. We might get a 'new manager bounce' but we won't get a manager capable of getting more points at this club over the next 6 months, 12 months, 2 years etc... he's stubborn, he's made mistakes this season but Adams, for me, remains our best hope of getting out of this mess.

My advice to Simon Hallett when he takes over is work out how much money it would cost to sack the manager; take that money and give it to Adams to spend in January. More than ever, he deserves and needs your backing - especially financially - after the job he's done at this club.

13. green75

green75 Registered User

Supports:
    plymouth
    Cant argue with any of that fella .

What a good post.

(apart from some of the stuff in the 1st paragraph)

14. Cheesy-Chips

Cheesy-Chips King Of Spunk Trumpets

Supports:
    P.A.F.C & West Ham United.
    Bad? Bad? We weren't that good! We were fooking dire. LG 2 here we come.