1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcasts

Discussion in 'History & Literature' started by Adam, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I've recently gotten into podcasts via my iPhone and also via YouTube and wanted to share some of those I think are most interesting.

Personally, I like the long-form approach that can be taken via podcasts, as well as the uncensored content. Instead of 5 minute interviews, you can have interviews from an hour to shows going on for many hours that really get into the nitty-gritty. Podcasts seem to have really taken off in a big way as people perhaps move away from traditional media.

My personal favourites right now are as follows:

Dan Carlin's Common Sense - Politics, international relations, history, culture - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3As7170z7TsHZ7-ShaRe1A/feed
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - In-depth look at major conflicts/events in history - https://www.youtube.com/user/dancarlinpodcaster
    The Drunken Peasants - Topical, humourous look at the news and YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/DrunkenPeasants
    The Joe Rogan Experience - Interviews with comedians, fighters, characters - https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerfulJRE
    The Rubin Report - Politics, liberalism, free speech - https://www.youtube.com/user/RubinReport/featured
    Waking Up with Sam Harris - Philosophy, spirituality and interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJKyvZ7fStgRBOCIzLJjfFw

Suggestions, reviews, criticisms are welcome.

2. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
  3. Self_Actual_Eye

Self_Actual_Eye Be honest with ourselves

Supports:
    England
    Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is amazing. As discussed before – well worth purchasing the back catalogue but many of his early shows are short and nowhere near as good. But for £40 you cannot go wrong.

His current affairs show is always entertaining too. His political view isn’t 100% aligned to mine but the fact he detests the current set up and wants it completely overthrown sits well with me.

Sam Harris is phenomenally intelligent as well, his recent chat with Douglas Murray “On the Maintenance of Civilization” is well worth a listen. Now there’s two guys who see where the current world is heading – and it’s not a pleasant place.

Couple of others I can recommend off the top of my head:

Daniele Bolelli - History on Fire Podcast. Gives Carlin a run for his money. A proper historian, too – not just a “fan of history”. Only 3 podcasts so far. All very good.
    Dan Snow – History Hit – nowhere near the other two but a decent podcast nonetheless.
    Stefan Molyneux - Freedomain Radio Podcasts – Crazy guy. Very intelligent. A little bit of a right-wing nutter. Pure entertainment.

4. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Waking Up with Sam Harris has had a couple of cracking interviews in recent times.

One with a Navy Seal and another with a former SWAT member, discussing guns, violence, war, crime etc. Real eye-opening conversations.

5. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    Hardcore History is a staple, of course, and I'm a massive fan of Carlin.

Similarly, The History of WW2 Podcast with Ray Harris Jr. is great too.

Freakonomics Radio

Ted Radio Hour

This American Life

Radio Lab

Death, Sex, and Money

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast

Criminal

Hidden Brain

All Things Considered

Cheap Heat

Stone Cold Podcast

Wiretap (RIP)

And basically almost anything on the PBS station...

6. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
  7. Self_Actual_Eye

Self_Actual_Eye Be honest with ourselves

Supports:
    England
    Dave Rubin has had some decent interviews recently.

After listening to Milo Yiannopoulos it’s strange that I now find that my views are mostly aligned to two gay blokes – Milo & Douglas Murray as well.

Seems like the intellectual gay men realise the regressive left will destroy all they love and actually realise Western civilisation is worth defending.

Rubin’s latest interview with Tommy Robinson was also a good listen.

8. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's a terrific show, I think it's a little repetitive at times, but you there have been some great interviews with the likes of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, John McCain, Bayan Sami Abdul Rahman, Nick Cohen and Douglas Murray, it's a wide range of opinion and perspective on offer.

I have a love/hate relationship with Milo, I think he's right on free speech but on very little else. I think he's a showman, he's intelligent and funny, but utterly in it for himself and will turn on a large base of liberal support the moment progressives/sjws are defeated. He's a walking contradiction, a Catholic, conservative gay man, who had sex aged 13 with a priest telling me about morality and consistency...it's hysterical at times.

I think he has a role to play though and it's true that intellectual gay men have become a major force. The SJW mob has recently turned on gay, white men just as people like Milo predicted they would and it's important that they're there to point out how absurd that is.

edit: The Classicist with Victor Davis Hanson is an interesting podcast as well and I'd recommend the multitude of YouTube videos in which he's featured in general.

#8 Adam, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2016
  9. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Cognitive Dissonance is a pretty great podcast. Mostly taking the piss out of anti-science, religious conservatist BS.

Got into the (American) Civil War podcast, but found it too long-winded. There's like 8 episodes on one battle (no joke), the podcast is going to go on longer than the Civil War did. Had a great start but once it got into the conflict it slowed to a snails pace.

10. Purple Bananaa

Purple Bananaa Alienation

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Not a podcast but there is a Youtube channel called 'The Great War' which talks about World War 1 in great detail. He started it in July 2014 and is doing videos about every week of the war so it'll end in November 2018.

Very good for people who want to get a very in depth look at the conflict.

Adam likes this.
  11. Purple Bananaa

Purple Bananaa Alienation

Supports:
    Charlton Athletic
    Just tried out Dan Carlins Hardcore History Blueprint 1 and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I like his analysis at parts but I just wasn't into some of the more entertaining stories he was telling.

Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon has 7 factual errors in the first 20 minutes.

I also looked up the episode and this Reddit points out a few mistakes in the podcast. I know they are very nitpicky but all these mistakes can add up. I'd rather it be boring and very accurate rather than entertaining and fairly accurate.

I do however like they way he has got people into history though. From the things I read up it seems like he is a gateway into history for some people who weren't very interested in it previously which is very good. I will try one more podcast of his which will probably be Americans Peril to see if that is any better.

The Rubin Report is an excellent show btw. Thankful you put that in your OP.

Adam likes this.
  12. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I noticed a handful of errors throughout the series which I've been relistening to in the last few days. I think they're inevitable due to him not being a historian and the sheer wealth of information he goes through. One later episode for example is 4 hours 30 minutes long.

In the end though even total accuracy wouldn't account for personal taste. There are popular podcasts that I know are of high quality, but that I don't like for reasons as superficial as not liking the presenters voice :laugh: so I can totally accept that not everyone will dig the podcast. I really liked The American Peril in large part because it covered a period of history that I knew very, very little about.

Agreed on The Rubin Report, it's just been revamped with a new Sam Harris interview that I'm listening too later on.

13. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History yesterday. Really impressed with the pace and style of them and found myself chuckling at times as he adds in a bit of humour too.

Listened to one about Hitler and the Nazis and the first part about the Punic Wars so 2 very different periods of history but both were equally fascinating. He opens the Nazi one with 'I'm worried that this will come across that I admire Hitler'. Had my interest straight away

I'm a bit of a Rome nut too so I've listened to a lot of the history of Rome podcast which is similarly fantastic although it can become overwhelming with names and dates, particularly when all of the names sound or are the same (every man seems to be called Gaius something and the women seem to be either Livia or Julia).

Adam likes this.
  14. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    :laugh:

Naming conventions within the Imperial family is often a source of confusion. Like you said there's a bunch of Gaius', Julia's, Livia's etc, is becomes a blur very fast.

Gets worse later on when you have Emperors like Constantine, who named his children Constans, Constantius, Constantina and..Constantine :laugh:

Fo Shizzle likes this.
  15. Silas

Silas Fabulous patriot.

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Not a podcast as such but Dr Alan Brown has some fantastic historical documentaries uploaded covering 1900-1960.

YouTube

It's a gem.

16. Mani

Mani ¡Leeds Carajo!

Supports:
    Leeds United
    Last podcast on the left.

Covers subjects on mass murderers, cults, sci fi, nazis, 9/11

Got into it a few weeks ago and have listened to an episode every day. Currently listening to one about the Columbine massacre. Sounds weird but it's light hearted at points and the 3 comedians who do it take the piss. Not out of the victims but the perpetrators. Well worth a listen. Some of my favourite episodes have been Unit 731, Ted Bundy and there's a couple about 911 emergency calls which are pretty harrowing.

The Fuzz and Silas like this.
  17. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Very informative comversation on race and violence in America - Racism and Violence in America

I wish the media was capable of approaching these issues with the calm and clarity on display here.

18. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    I've been going through a re-listen of the podcast these days and have just arrived at Julian 'the Apostate'. Dude died an untimely death. Rome could've held out for longer if he had a long reign. It all goes downhill from here.

Adam likes this.
  19. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'm upto the year of four emperors, so a good 300 years before Julian.

Part of me wishes he'd lived longer so Paganism had maybe made a full comeback. He was a capable emperor, but a hopeless idealist as well. Lived in the wrong century to achieve his potential.

20. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    I Don't Even Own a Television is a good one where 2 guys just talk about bad books. They'll read a new one every couple of weeks and go through it in-depth so that we don't have to go through the torture of reading them ourselves.

Some notable names: Ready Player One, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, the novelization of The Force Awakens, the novelization of Doom, and The Rules According to JWoww