1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Points deduction

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Stan_Drews, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Coldhands

Coldhands Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    For what? We've not breached FFP.

2. Coldhands

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I'm not sure.

The EFL said "Birmingham City the only Club found to have breached those requirements".

A year on, we have not breached them. We will naturally have to shed cost, but when that involves paying non-contributors like Jedinak, Richards et al 40k per week, it's coming anyway.

Being promoted would help.

This is what happens when you're run by a bloke who helped design the rules and are owned by two chaps who could pull a stunt like the KLF everyday for 40 years and not run out of billions. As opposed to a group so incompetent they tried to make a virtue out of it in defence and mitigation at their hearing.

Aggravated by ignoring an embargo, misleading the EFL about their finances and ignoring the EFL plan.

But in true Nose fashion, they crack a semi over a ridiculous and utterly speculative Daily Heil article as it means they can talk about their raison d'être; da Vile.

JaseTheVillain likes this.
  3. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    On the point of Villa - 2017/18 - Lost £22.7M; 2016/17 - Profit £1.7M. So for a point deduction next season they'd need to lose £19M this season, possible but if they are close to the wind some player sales (before June 30th) will cancel it out surely.

Onto this nonsense anyway, the entire rule. Who came up with the £39M over three years? I'm all for sustainability in football but surely the amount of losses has nothing to do with it. I support a club who are so utterly unsustainable in the current form it's laughable. We only lose £2-3M a year, I don't see any points deductions coming our way.
    We take the piss out of the tax payer, constantly in and out of court clearing up unpaid HMRC bills - surely this behaviour is more worthy of a points deduction?
    Who decides on these deductions, is there some kind of sliding scale - go £100K over and lose half a point, be a £100M over and lose 100 points.
    The FA, PL and EFL remains laughable in the way it handles poorly run clubs, inept owners and teams spending way beyond their means, but hey at least Sky are bunging them 5 billion quid.

4. xMiss_BCFC

xMiss_BCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City & England
    So you're in denial then. The facts are coming out & we already know now how the EFL are dealing with breaking FFP. You'll have to be deducted points or else they'll not be being consistent. Something to look forward to. :cheers:

Stan_Drews likes this.
  5. Stan_Drews

Stan_Drews Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Is the car park in Aston still up for sale?

6. Coldhands

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Nope. We're compliant.

Reading is a challenge and it appears counting is too. Take your shoes and socks off and have another go.

Dont take my word for it. Or our accounts. Or the EFL. Try this Lecturer in finance at Liverpool University. I know he's a reader, and they're normally sacrificed to make sure the sun comes back up in Yardley, but give it a flick through. Let it permeate that cranium.

As the https://t.co/V8NbbQ5qMT website has crashed, here is the summary of Aston Villa's financial performance in 2017/18 and the calculations that show how they may just have sneaked into complying with FFP Pages 1-8 #AVFC PriceOfFootball on Twitter

So dry your tears salty Nose. In your moment of yet more failure, you cannot help but talk about da Vile. Good luck staying up.

7. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Always a fun one, that. The only club found guilty of breaching FFP thus far is Birmingham. Our CEO is satisfied with our accounts and he helped write up the rules ffs. We could easily break even with a sale or two or some serious cuts to the wage budget, the latter of which will happen regardless.

We'll be fine, but it's nice to see everyone, especially Small Heath fans, wetting themselves at the possibility of us losing points.

8. Sean4393

Sean4393 Registered User

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Let's just hope there isn't any room for a conflict of interests ay...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. RiccardoPiccio

RiccardoPiccio Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Spot on. Couldnt agree more.

Yes i know my club Wigan were recipients of parachute payments in the past, however we managed our finances accordingly (sold players to cut costs like McManaman, McClean and others) and also employed a sensible pay structure with likely relegation release and relegation wage cut clauses written into contracts when players sign for us).

Villa should imo face sanction if they have broken the rules, they have made looking from the outside little attempt to comply with FFP. They have 5 goalkeepers in the squad all over 23 years old with none of them academy players if ever you needed proof of this. Plus daft wages for loanees such as Bolasie earlier on in the season.

Clubs like Preston and Huddersfield have shown that you can manage your finances well, not pay stupid transfer fees and wages and be competitive.

Personally it must be stressed though that the bigger issue here is the gulf between the PL and FL financially. I honestly am coming to the idea now that it is for the best if the Big 6 and the likes of Real Barca Juve etc take their money and form a Super League. Then the rest of football can return to a more level playing field as these huge losses by clubs 'chasing the dream' are not healthy for the sport.

McKenna's Wand likes this.
  10. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Not sure where you got these numbers from but they aren't correct. Their last set of accounts show a £32m loss with the year before being a £7m loss, meaning they'd have to turn a profit this year (whilst their parachute payments have gone down by about £20m) to sneak through FFP.

11. xMiss_BCFC

Supports:
    I'm not from Yardley so not sure what that has to do with me? Bit ironic when you're trying to make out that I'm the one who has trouble reading.

You've obviously convinced yourself that you're squeaky clean, but nobody else believes you. As normal the Vile thinking there's one rule for them & one rule for everyone else. Tick tock for the points deduction, it's in the post & deep down you know it.:thumb Good luck not bottling the playoffs again.

12. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    That was for last year. Unless you have miraculously turned your finances around (Bolasie's 70k a week wages for 6 months say otherwise) then you will fall foul this year.

13. xMiss_BCFC

Supports:
    But then we'd never get another Leicester happening? And getting to the Prem wouldn't be the same if you never had trips to Old Trafford or the Emirates etc. Hate the idea of a Super League tbh, that's what the Champions League is for.

14. Coldhands

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Why would I know where you're from? I chose a spot in Brum that had a Nose infestation.

I dont need convincing and neither do the EFL. We're compliant. If we don't go up, to repeat, we'll likely need to cut expenses, but the wage bill and squad would look dramatically different regardless.

Typical Small Heath mentality. You've been docked 9 points, you're awful, in awful form, have the Albion, Sheffield United and Leeds coming up, a relegation battle to lose...yet all you can think of is da Vile.

If we didn't exist, Small Heath wouldn't, as you'd have no purpose.

JaseTheVillain likes this.
  15. RiccardoPiccio

RiccardoPiccio Registered User

Supports:
    Wigan Athletic
    Dont get me wrong, i hate the idea of it too, i certainly hate what modern day football has become at the elite level. However the only viable looking solution is a breakaway league at present.

Whenever you attempt to wrestle back control from the top clubs they kick up a hizzy fit and eventually get their own way. Leicester winning the league was incredible and a marvellous achievement, sadly what it has also done is mean the top clubs are now even more determined to push out any upstarts. Talk of Champions League wildcards, B teams in football league system as two examples.

Trying to get them to accept rules which are designed to prevent this monopolisation of football seems impossible at present and all in the meantime clubs are racking up long term unsustainable levels of losses, wages and debt.

Id love to negotiate with the big clubs to avoid a Super League but sadly they seem determined to push through concession after concession to avoid it happening. The other 99.9 per cent of clubs should not have to keep accepting such concession after concession from the elite.

16. Coldhands

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    For those struggling;

word-image-16.png

Our permitted losses are £61m as the rolling 3 year period includes a year in the Premier League, where the permitted loss for the purposes of FFP is £35m.

Nothing in the post. No deductions forthcoming. The Dail Mail has given then Small Heathens semis over nowt.

17. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    If it's rolling, would it not include any January spending?

I know nothing about football finances, nor do I really care if i'm honest.

18. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    I got them from here: ASTON VILLA LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House) - if you click on the PDF for the full accounts to May 2018, page 2, it clearly states the operating loss for the financial year was £22,772,407.

If the rolling FFP does include Premier league season and £61M is allowed then Aston Villa will had to have a hideous financial mess this year to get any sanctions. Nobody will know until this time next year though.

19. BoroWill

BoroWill Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    How strange, they report different figures later on in the same accounts.
    They seem to have *just* passed for the last reporting year according to that finance expert on Twitter.

It’s next year I’m talking about, unless their finances turn around dramatically (highly unlikely with them only having very small parachute payments for the coming year), then there is no way they pass FFP.

20. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    We won't need to worry about them next year mate. ;) :gotcha