1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post here if you’re bottom of the table

Discussion in 'Championship' started by RM, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Madejski

Madejski Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Never have I seen a player regress so much from an injury.

Did his knee ligaments in 2007, missed 9 months and came back looking lost.

Pre-injury he was immense and probably the best defender I’ve seen in a Reading shirt. An uninjured Sonko and no way would we have been relegated from the Prem.

Still shocked we got £2m from Stoke for him given how poor he was when he came back from injury.

2. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Matt Holland on Talksh*te saying that Evans is looking at other managers. Who knows, doesn’t look good for PH though.

3. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    [​IMG]

4. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    I would like this post but I really, really can’t ;)

5. JaseTheVillain

JaseTheVillain Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    :laugh: He's a likeable fella, our Steve. Just never worked out at Villa, though I fear if he came to Ipswich you'd see similar football to Mick's, and he'd not get by for long unless he massively turned your fortunes around. The thing at Villa was the football was shit but results kept filtering in, then the results stopped and we turned very quickly.

6. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    He’s a decent manager at this level but will always be a bit too yellow for us, I would imagine. His header against us in the Milk Cup semi is still a sore point.

Mind you if Evans wanted to unite the fan base then he’d be a decent choice. It might not be in the way he wanted, though:)

JaseTheVillain likes this.
  7. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Bruce wouldn't go to Ipswich...not enough money there!

If I had to guess his next destination it would be Stoke.

JaseTheVillain likes this.
  8. ITFC Jez

Staff Member

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Any perks to League 1? Any at all...?

9. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    You get to experience a different league after two decades stuck here. ;)

You'll play Southend and possibly Colchester rather than Norwich, meaning you could finally win a 'Derby' game

New grounds, new experiences, and teams relegated from this division tend to do ok there since the gap is fairly wide between the two divisions.

Of course not going up right away might mean you are stuck there for a while.

If we go down the thing that will be fun is the amount of Yorkshire teams down there. Not to mention we'll play Scunthorpe again which is something I'm looking forward to. Need to put them in their place again ;)

screescree likes this.
  10. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Similar for us. Luton, Charlton, Peterborough, Southend, possibly Lincoln, MK, Stevenage, Colchester, all nice convenient aways. If it happens, so be it.

11. No-One Likes Us

No-One Likes Us Super Neil Harris

Supports:
    Millwall
    The only consolation of relegation (and it's a small one) is ticking off new grounds. There's only two I haven't been to in League One; Accrington and Bradford. One could quite easily go up, the other are looking like going down.

It's all a struggle.

12. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    Still here, now a small gap beginning to open between us and Hull and the others. Millwall, Preston and Reading up next, all from the next group above us.

On the evidence of the last couple of non-performances we need to change manager sooner rather than later as the players have thrown in the towel. Should have a big following at Millwall on Saturday, if we don’t turn up again then Hurst will know about it.

13. Old codger

Old codger Registered User

Supports:
    Leeds United
    Funnily enough the masocistic side of me enjoyed League 1 where I ticked off a few new grounds so as an anorak it was alright. Here's the grounds I went to Leyton Orient, Hartlepool, Cheltenham, Northampton, Crewe Alex, Port Vale, Swindon, Yeovil, Carlisle, Oldham, Tranmere, Exeter, Colchester ( although I had previously done Layer Road ) MK Dons, Gillingham, Bristol Rovers, Wycombe, Wallsall, Charlton, Southend, Coventry ( although I had previously done Highfield Road ) Doncaster, Luton & Peterborough. A lot of our younger fans stood on terracing for the first time. Generally we received large allocations so in a lot of cases we outnumbered the homies. Enjoyed our time there but don't want to go back.

14. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    League One is a laugh for a year or two, any longer and its ****ing miserable.

15. Sheffsteel

Sheffsteel Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    Speaking from experience here.

Positives
    For the 1st year or 2, there’s a big novelty factor, loads of new grounds to visit for the 1st time.
    ITFC will be favourites for promotion, a big fish in a small pond and some away games will be massive games for the opposition.
    You’ll win more matches than in recent seasons. If you’re up at the top attendances and interest might increase.
    Experiencing the hard times in the lower leagues teaches humility and makes you appreciate the simple things in life.
    Supporting a crap team in the lower leagues sorts the men out from the boys, at least you’ll prove that your a hardcore genuine supporter and not a glory hunter.

Negatives
    The standard of football is much lower compared to the Championship but when you’re playing these teams your standard will decrease to nearer your opponents standards.
    If you’re not involved in promotion all season then you’ll feel like crying when you play some home games on a Tuesday night when there’s 11,000 home fans and 80 away fans. (Remember Portman Road is a fairly big ground so 11K gates will look terrible). The atmosphere will feel like non league, you might hear the players shouting to each other and you’ll despair how your club has fallen.
    Relegation means a restructure of your budget, meaning your better players are likely to be sold.
    Regards buying players, you’lll be shopping at Aldi, think Sky money reduces from 6 million in the Championship to less than 1 million in league 1, you’ll probably become over reliant on the loan system to bring in good players.
    National media publicity is almost non existent in league 1 and league 2. Spend an amount of time in league 1 and you’ll become a forgotten club.
    There are some several big clubs in the Championship but in league 1 most clubs are minnows. They’ll raise their game trying to claim the scalp of Ipswich Town, so it will be tough.

A big issue for me is if Ipswich continue in the bottom. 3 then you would expect the manager to be sacked BUT the current manager knows league 1 so well and it’s ironic that Paul Hurst would probably be an ideal manager if Ipswich were relegated to league 1.

#75 Sheffsteel, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    McKenna's Wand and Old codger like this.
  16. No-One Likes Us

No-One Likes Us Super Neil Harris

Supports:
    Millwall
    I see Hurst made seven changes last night, that's not a good sign. Reminds me of our days under Holloway. With that in mind, we have to win on Saturday.

17. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    We were down to 11000 anyway with Mick last year so god knows what we’d get after relegation! At least it wouldn’t be too much of a shock in that department as we’ve been at that level a few times over the years.

In terms of players, we’ve been shopping in the bargain bin for years, but we do at least have a good academy and some decent players who you hope could deal with that level. A good few of them could deal with this level as well, which was supposed to be part of the plan until Hurst binned them off in favour of his lads from the lower leagues.

Maybe we could put Hurst on gardening leave for the rest of the season, give someone else a go at keeping us up and then bring him back if the worst happened? :laugh:
    It will be interesting to see how Evans reacts, he’s normally patient with managers but if it looks like we’re in trouble then he has acted in the past. With so much of the season to go I wouldn’t be surprised if he chucks everything at it to try and keep us up. Especially if Hurst has lost the players, as rumour and performances seem to suggest. I can’t see us struggling on till May like this.

18. Thijssen

Thijssen Registered User

Supports:
    Ipswich Town
    I know it’s a cliche but it really does look like he draws names out of a hat most weeks, unfortunately it’s nothing new and is the most worrying sign imo.

Saturday should be fun, although maybe not for us in terms of the result.

19. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I'd be amazed if you went to both those grounds and didn't catch any horrific contagious disease.

20. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    7 unbeaten now, I might be being naive but I just can't see us being down here at the business end of the season with the players we have at our disposal.