1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

PPV Matches

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Tornado, Oct 9, 2020.

1. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Just gonna post about that. We had an old Black and White portable with a dial on it. Mum had made marks with pen so we could tune straight to one of the 3 or 4 channels available.

Remember watching a Chelsea v United match (must have been FA Cup or the Big Match) but for some reason wasn't on Granada (ITV for North West) but you could get it on Yorkshire TV (ITV for Yorkshire).

Only problem was it had the bad picture you used to get like it was snowing. :laugh:

Not sure you soft southerners enjoyed those experiences:p :laugh:

2. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    So as it stands we're on PPV the same amount of times as Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City put together?

Man City fans have to pay £15 to watch six games whereas we have to pay £75?

Well I never.

It's almost as if modern football is run by absolute c*nts.

#142 Kirby, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Swirly Steve, RM and FranniesTache like this.
  3. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Remember vertical and horizontal hold ffs :laugh:

You'd be wtching telly, picture would be fine, next minute telly would take a johnny wobbler and you had to mess about with the two knobs (easy fella) at the back of the telly horiz and vert hold. You'd miss half what you were watching whilst doing this :laugh:

Imagine the young ones of today having to cope with all this, they'd smash the telly in :laugh:

<cough>get IPTV</cough>

Sky are asking for it now with these PPV games, scandalous. Its exactly what they did with the boxing. They stole all the boxing from terrestial channels and threw it on Sky Sports...then as time went by started moving them to PPV and then on to the current situation where you are still paying Sky Sports subs, but have to pay PPV for all boxing apart from a odd few fights they throw on main channels.

4. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    And if someone plugged in another electrical device too close to the tv, like a hoover, you’d get interference on the tv too :laugh:

We always assumed you northerners didn’t have tv as you hadn’t got electricity yet :whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Doc and King_Kenny like this.
  5. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Don't worry I'll be watching and not paying a penny.

That's not the point though.

King_Kenny likes this.
  6. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I won't be watching.

My internet is really shit so streaming isn't a great option for me until I move to virgin in a few months time.

Not a ****ing chance I'll be paying to watch a game. They could have the North London Derby on PPV and I'll just go out on my bike instead. **** the box office bullshit.

Kirby likes this.
  7. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    It's not really a new revelation though is it? We know the bigger clubs are televised more often.

The only difference here is that instead of not usually being able to watch it, you can for a fee.

Once / if the box office games are scrapped they'll go back to being untelevised games.

In a normal season I'd rather have less televised games and more Saturday 3pm kickoffs.

8. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Don't know what you mean mate. Our first TV was coal powered.......:laugh:

FranniesTache likes this.
  9. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    No but you know exactly what's going to happen. The smaller clubs will end up never being on 'normal' TV so the only time you'll be lucky enough to see them without paying extra will be if they're selected against one of the big sides.

Again, it's not the point though. No fan should have to pay £15 extra per game on top of their existing subscription just to watch their team (when they're already being denied the chance to watch them live). Many of us have laid out hundreds on season tickets already so to ask for such a high amount per game on top of that is just a piss take. I think most would've reluctantly stomached it at £5 a game.

10. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon ENIC out!

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I see it going the other way.

If PPV proves to be successful you'll get your 'smaller' teams televised and they'll make the 'box office' games PPV.

If Fulham fans happily pay £90 for 6 games of football, how much are you going to make selling Tottenham v Arsenal, Liverpool v United.

Football fans have to be united in boycotting PPV. Give an inch, they'll take a mile.

Don't pay the £14.95, don't pay the fiver.. Just don't pay it. As you said, people pay enough to follow their team already.

I have sympathy in the short term for the smaller clubs but long term it'll impact us all. Nobody outside of West Brom v Burnley will have bothered with the box office game last week. This is essentially a trial period to introduce more and more and bigger PPV games.

Additionally my other fear is they'll keep the staggered schedule of games. There's no reason why the box office games have to be on a Friday night or Saturday night. The box office games could all be played at the same time but they want 10 separate kick off times that can all be televised. There's no real fuss at the moment but I reckon this is the norm now. One Friday, four Saturday, four Sunday, one Monday.

Geeza1985 likes this.
  11. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Yeah, grim.

12. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Absolutely. I refuse to pay PPV on anything, inc boxing as its simply a rip off, as I said earlier, when Sky took all boxing, etc away from free to air channels they had them on their main channels which was fine, they then started throwing a few on PPV the real big fights, then a few more, now pretty much every fight including a top boxer is PPV...meanwhile you still have to pay for Sky Sports.

The trouble is thousands pay the £15/£20 so they'll carry on...I wish people would just outright refuse to pay any PPV

13. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Fear is the mind-killer

Supports:
    The end of stupidity
  14. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Sadly enough I doubt the message will be received, it's literally a free cashgrab for them. Those games are recorded anyways and it costs them almost nothing except some bandwith to stream them so as long as there are people paying for it they will view it as a succes.

15. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    The fact viewing figures haven’t been released is telling, if they were high they’d be screaming from the rooftops about them

16. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    This.

I read that as well. Hope it will be a massive flop. They'll lose out big time.

17. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Swirly Steve and SALTIRE like this.
  18. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    So it looks like my assessment was wrong.
    Sky and BT don't want PPV and aren't making any money off it, just bad press. They don't have the rights for these matches normally but record them for highlights so the Premier League made them an ultimatum, don't show them or put them on PPV for £15.

19. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Sounds like the clubs are at least thinking of dropping the price to below £10 like the EFL clubs charge .

20. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    F*ck it, they could make it a quid and i wouldn't pay it on principle

King_Kenny, CPFC2010 and DeadlyDemon like this.