1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier league clubs to cut wages?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by kloppbeliever, Mar 31, 2020.

1. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    I don't want to be accused here of being a wum but this is a topic thats going to heat up in the next few weeks.

I am not sure exactly but it seems Newcastle put everyone on "leave" I don't know what that means.

Spurs have just landed a 20% pay cut across the board on non playing staff from levy down the the tea ladies.

Are clubs that close to the bone that the missing revenue form games and loss of tv revenue is already impacting?

Or are these clubs just the one preparing for the cancelling of the remaining games an inevitable cut/rebate of tv?

In other leagues Barca are saying 70% wage cut agreed for players so non playing staff can be fully paid.

Is it a bit cynical to be cutting the non playing wages now when players contracts get fully honoured?

2. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Just put this in the Spurs section. I think it's ****ing disgraceful that we're cutting the non-playing by 20% (and then trying to piggy back on the government 80% scheme to pay them) whilst the playing staff are continuing to get full pay.

Anyway, a few clubs will be fine, some are going to be absolutely ****ed. When the tv money doesn't come in as well like they've done in France it's going to get even worse.

I would like to say I give a shit but honestly I don't. Greedy money grabbing wankers in charge of most of these places, bottom of the list of my concerns at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if Levy is currently selling latex gloves and masks out of our medical supplies at the club for 10x their value to the NHS supply chain.

3. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    the spurs section? I think every club is going to do this or some version fairly soon.

The french thing seems like they are expecting a huge wipe out of clubs and are shrugging shoulders.

they might be left with PSG and PSG reserves!

I don't want to make it about spurs cos I really think every club will have to do something but i'm kind of surprised its happening so soon.

I can understand sending people on leave and work form home as players etc, I saw wages cuts at the lower level already where match day money is missing and its understandable.

4. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    It is bad from any club giving non-playing staff cuts but not the playing staff. The person earning £20K a year needs his wage a lot more than the person earning £100K a week.

The Doc, miss_lfc and JoshBCFC like this.
  5. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Doesn't add up at all. The 20% cut alone that Levy is taking would go a long way to shoring up the wages of many non-playing staff.

In the same week as well when Barcelona players agree a 70% wage cut and Juventus players accept a 4-month pay freeze. It's indefensible that a club of Spurs size would do this.

JTC77 and DeadlyDemon like this.
  6. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    barnet immediately laid off all non playing staff but its the players contracts that are the issue.

Something like juve and barca must be voluntary? I don't know but I'd assume the contractual obligations of the club would be said to be met if the players are available for work but there is none? Who knows.

My guess is we will see the clubs that are closest to the bone hit first. spurs might have stadium payments or something? I don't know?

7. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    If you want to see just how bad the money grabbing nature of the Premier League is just realise that when Brighton promised 1000 free tickets to NHS staff and asked other clubs to follow suit there was more clubs who complained than followed our lead.

1000 tickets.

What, 40k of lost revenue?

In a league with this much money?

:laugh: F*cking disgrace.

Quentin_Alcock likes this.
  8. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    They all sell out their stadiums TBF.

DeadlyDemon and Adam like this.
  9. BleedsIsDead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    You really don’t like the fact we’ve done something for NHS staff. But when you support a club who have gone in to Admin multiple times and screwed over St.Johns ambulance twice then it’s no surprise you’re not used to a club doing something positive for the NHS. :whistle

Also;
    E6ACD45F-A920-49F9-86BC-34BDD827F9A0.jpeg

E5FCB157-CA52-477A-90BA-E1E7C4E510E7.jpeg

Maybe it’s time to put your tickets on f*cking Groupon again :laugh:

StillHurts31, kloppbeliever and Adam like this.
  10. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I think if clubs could do that they would but it's probably more to do with different types of employment and contracts than the willingness to do it.
    Still messed up though.

11. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Common As Muck !

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    If there is or should be when back on track a salary cap introduction world wide then it's now !

How much does that Sanchez who plays for Man.U on loan at Inter earn a week ? It's obscene whatever it is !

12. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It really is bad.

:laugh:

Kirby likes this.
  13. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    £20 million a week

Taffy, The Doc and Richard like this.
  14. Kirby

Kirby Wilf, Andros, Meyer Your defence is terrified

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    So all those thousands of empty seats are season ticket holders who jumped on the new stadium/promotion bandwagon and are no longer turning up?

Well I never.

As for 99% capacity...

20200331_172412.jpg

Did they all come dressed as blue seats? :laugh:

#14 Kirby, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    We'll be able to offer 20k tickets every week when Harry Kane leaves in the summer.

16. Pagnell

Pagnell MISERABLE C**T

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Any club that cuts non-playing staff wages whilst paying the players full whack are a bunch of c***s. The vast majority of top flight players losing 20%-30% of their income would see little to no difference in their lifestyle, whilst saving clubs millions a month. You can't say the same about low paid non-playing staff, a lot of who are on minimum wage or not much more. It could be the difference between a roof over your head or being on the streets.

The Valiant, Dan, Chrysalis and 9 others like this.
  17. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'm going to assume that they would like to cut the players' pay but aren't legally able to do so. That's why I think Spurs have cut the non-playing staff wages, to pressure their players to take a voluntary cut.

kloppbeliever likes this.
  18. BleedsIsDead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    Be interesting to see how it plays out, WWE athletes can only compete for them but are deemed independent contractors exempt from US workplace safety and discrimination laws. They don't get paid annual leave, pensions, worker's compensation insurance, or basic employee-sponsored health coverage for example.

You'd hope players here would be club employees just as much as programme sellers.

20. damo79

damo79 Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    the millionaire footballers should be doing this voluntarily imo , as was said before the vast majority would not even notice the difference