1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Premier League rumoured to be withholding Solidarity payments from Football League

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Papa Francesco, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    £125m solidarity payments agreed as part of the plan to restart football back in June are now rumoured to be withheld by the Premier League. Fulham's remaining parachute payments (not due because of promotion) were also reclaimed by the Premier League, whereas they would normally be distributed evenly throughout the Football League (worth around £500k per club).

EFL waiting for Premier League help

Disgusting behaviour from a league that is still throwing around money for fun. If clubs die this years it's because your clubs chose not to help.

Link for the Fulham story.

Premier League reject's EFL's request for a share of Fulham's £34million parachute money | Daily Mail Online

Dickie Cooper likes this.
  2. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    The organisation itself are withholding it or have clubs in the league voted to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super_horns and Dickie Cooper like this.
  3. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    The Premier League's full of c*nts. Never would've guessed.

4. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    The clubs are meeting this week I believe, and are rumoured to be rejecting it.

5. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    If this happens, with clubs still spending hundreds of millions in transfer fees and offering half a million a week to players, then I will no longer watch premier league football. Absolute scum, the lot of them.

I will say though, I thought the parachute payments normally went back to the premier league not to other efl teams.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dickie Cooper likes this.
  6. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    If clubs die this year it's because the bubble has finally burst and years of irresponsible finances in football has finally hit its limit.

It's obviously not the right time for the discussion and I hope lower league clubs get the financial help they need in the short term but the very idea of things such as parachute payments is wrong. You shouldn't be financially dependent on a handout to survive. Clubs need to be self sufficient and if that means we stop paying players 200,000 a week then so be it.

Macclesfield went bust because they had debts of £500,000! I don't mean any disrespect to Macclesfield but they're playing in a small 6,000 capacity stadium. No club at the level of that size should be running with losses or debts of that magnitude.

Football shouldn't be in a position where clubs are going bust, with or without Covid. Let's not pretend the latter is the sole cause. Some of these were on the brink regardless and Covid will sadly be the thing that pushes them over the edge.

The football authorities have failed the hundreds of clubs in football by allowing the game to be so unsustainable financially. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the Premier League or its clubs to sustain other football clubs lower down the pyramid.. Any more than the local corner shop shouldn't be looking to the big supermarkets for a handout to keep their business afloat. The fact this is the reality is criminal.

If hundreds of clubs go bust it might be the wakeup call football, the FA and the government need to address the embarrassment that the financial state of the game is in.

7. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    its a disgrace t
    @SALTIRE and his ilk are to blame

njmcfc1894 likes this.
  8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    f*cking disgrace but ultimately no surprise is it? The premier league, since the day it came into existence was always about getting as much money as possible for the teams in it.

Biff Tannen likes this.
  9. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    It should be when it was an integral part of the agreement to allow football to restart. The Premier League agreed to make a large payment to help Football league and non-league clubs as part of the agreement with the government to allow Project Restart to go ahead. Reneging on that agreement is what is criminal.

10. Casanova85

Casanova85 Registered User

Supports:
    FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Brazil NT
    The irony of this thread being created by the Pope.

11. Papa Francesco

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Does the pope owe the Football League solidarity payments?

12. DeadlyDemon

DeadlyDemon Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    That's fine on this occasion and obviously it is a special case given Covid stopped football. I'm not suggesting the Premier League shouldn't be meeting any commitment or agreement made but at best it's a short term fix for these clubs.

Even with this payment, football clubs are still going to go bust. Your suggestion that Premier League clubs are to blame is comical to me.

The reality is the financial situation in football has been unhealthy for a long long time and that is the real reason these clubs will go bust.

The game needs a massive overhaul so that this isn't a common occurrence. We shouldn't be talking about Macclesfield this year and Bury last year and other clubs prior to that. As I said the Premier League or its clubs shouldn't be in a position where it has to sustain other football clubs. They need to be in a position where they're not reliant on anyone else to survive. The majority of Premier League clubs themselves are only a relegation away from financial trouble of their own. It's not sustainable.

It's an extreme extreme fantasy but I'd quite like 100-200 clubs to go bust and football to just completely start over. Whilst the Premier League need to meet their agreement it's still only a short-term solution, there needs to be long-term solutions to the disparity in football too. Covid might finally be the tipping point where we actually address how f**ked the game is.

The worst part for me is that some of those clubs that have gambled have actually reaped the rewards for it. There are numerous examples of clubs spending beyond their means and then reaping the financial rewards for success on the pitch to justify it. If you can spend a few million in League Two but get to the Championship or Premier League in a few years does it outweigh the risk of it going pear-shaped?

It genuinely baffled me seeing the money mentioned in relation to Macclesfield. £500,000+ debts. How is that sustainable for any league two club? Blame Covid and the Premier League all you like but the FA, EFL, Premier League and the government all need to take some responsibility for the absolute state the game is in.

All this payment is is a short term fix and lets a few clubs survive a few months longer before going bust.

BeeLz likes this.
  13. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Keeping my post short, but I agree with the points made here, shambles.

14. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Has other payment's to pay out but best not to get into that discussion

15. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Shouldn't have ever let the gate sharing be stopped back tbh.

PL should definitely help out the EFL and renaging on any arranged deal is ludicrous.

However the way clubs below PL have chased the pot of gold should not be overlooked imo.

The greed of the PL doesn't stop there.

FranniesTache likes this.
  16. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Yeah, its not just the "greedy Premier League" clubs, the whole of football have been over spending for the past decade or two, seeing clubs go bust hasn't stopped others doing the exact same thing.

Its ok slating the Liverpools, Citys and Uniteds for spending millions, but these clubs can afford to via the success and fanbase they have amassed over the years, its when, as @DeadlyDemon has stated, clubs like Macclesfield try and live way beyond what they are capable of sustaining only have themselves to blame.

17. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    500k debt could be a great deal of things,

stadium repair?

wages?

tax bill?

in the grand scheme of things 500k wouldn't exactly be massive if you had to borrow to pay for whatever.

I believe on the other hand barnet were losing massive money, 100k per month, before covid and were bailed out by the covid payments.

18. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    city?

That's extremely unfair.

Quite a few, Macc included, Bury, Chester, almost Bolton and Wigan etc., have been destroyed from within by immoral new ownership models, or blatant asset stripping, not because they've overextended their finances chasing rainbows. Most should have been better protected by the bodies that oversee the game below Premier League level.

Leivapool likes this.
  19. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    A fair point about certain clubs but I don’t think it’s fair to make such a sweeping generalization about all the football league clubs.

Some clubs in the championship in particular spend beyond their means to try and get to the premier league. But clubs like ours at Doncaster and many others certainly don’t do that.

We don’t spend big money on players or over pay on wages with the hope of getting to the championship, we run a very tight ship and have owners that are very reluctant to take risks and jeopardize the financial security of the club. Realistically we sell one player every 3/4 years for a nice sum and that’s us secure for the foreseeable. And despite all that we still post losses, but we have secure owners who are willing to cover the small losses we make

King_Kenny likes this.
  20. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    In a time like this the top clubs have an obligation to protect clubs in the lower leagues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk