1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promotion and Relegation.

Discussion in 'Welsh Football' started by Leekbrookgull, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Leekbrookgull

Leekbrookgull Registered User

Supports:
    Brighton and Hove Albion,plus an interest in the WPL
    From the WPL is it a straight two down and two up or rearranging the deckchairs.

2. islandranger

islandranger Registered User

Supports:
    Bangor, Holyhead, Llangefni
    depends on licencing
    1 up from North and 1 from South or runners up if top team doesn't have a licence
    North looks like Caernarfon who got a licence last year but if not Airbus who also have one
    Denbigh may be in top 2 but not sure if they after a licence yet, but ambitious for the future.
    South Haverfordwest (if they want to come up and still have a licence) or Llanelli
    Goytre may be top 2 and have never wanted promotion.

Could be interesting in coming seasons as Conwy are looking to get back from tier 3 and Brickfield (Gary GAP's other club) from their tier 3, both ambitious clubs

3. derynglas

derynglas Registered User

Supports:
    Haverfordwest County FC
    There is now a new statement on the Haverfordwest county website dated December 1 which
    states that the directors have reconsidered the decision not to seek promotion to the WPL.
    Talks about the air of optimism and positivity within the club and the success of puting out
    a squad of predominantly local players and the success of the academy.
    Also improved benefits of being in the league and some proposed changes in the structure
    although I dont know yet what those changes might be.Im only aware of some changes being mooted
    below step 2 and off course club licencing coming into the second tier next season.
    This is great news to me as although I agreed with the club pressing for a increase in membership
    of the WPL I was against refusing promotion and thought we could influence things more by
    being in it and you might as well try to play at the highest level you can even if your
    relegated the next season.
    Un fortunately soundly beaten at Pontypridd in the cup yesterday the old cliche of concentrating on the league
    now.Perhaps the most damaging aspect is captain and centre half Sam Rodon being booked and then getting
    a straight red late in the second half after quite a large melee mostly pushing and shoving but will now
    miss 4 games.
    As for Pontypridd a good side but dont think they can get promotion from division 2 as they are now playing
    on the college ground in Trefforest no floodlights etc.
    So back to the OP a straight fight between us an Llanelli for promotion then.
    Personally I hope its not to long before were both back where we belong!

4. Jasper6

Jasper6 Registered User

Supports:
    Rhyl
    Carmarthen look dead certs for the drop, so if you get promoted your derby would be with Cardiff Met (and Barry if they stay up).

5. derynglas

Supports:
    Haverfordwest County FC
    Aber as well probably be our main derby who looked to be really struggling but
    seem to have turned it round completely now, particularly with their win against
    Bala on Saturday .

6. Jasper6

Jasper6 Registered User

Supports:
    Rhyl
    The wheels have come off at Bala this season and they may struggle to make the top six at the split.

Aber are one of only three founder members of the League of Wales in 1992 never to have been relegated, but there's a first time for everything. If they were to go down, could they be placed in the Welsh League, where they played for a number of seasons, switching in and out of the Mid Wales League before the formation of the LoW?

7. derynglas

Supports:
    Haverfordwest County FC
    This was discussed on the Welsh league forum last year and I remember
    somebody confirmed Aber would deffo be placed in the Welsh league
    if relegated.
    Also Aber play in the Southern section of the Welsh premier development
    league,an 11 team division which interestingly includes teams from Swansea City
    and Merthyr Town.

8. Jasper6

Jasper6 Registered User

Supports:
    Rhyl
    That would suit most of the clubs in the North as Aber isn't the most accessible place and the 7.45pm Friday evening kickoffs are unpopular with visiting players and fans.

9. islandranger

Supports:
    Aber should survive Prestatyn for the drop with Carmarthen.

10. Jasper6

Jasper6 Registered User

Supports:
    Rhyl
    On what grounds, other than your often evident soft spot for Aber?

11. islandranger

Supports:
    I don’t have a particular soft spot for Aberystwyth other than it’s a ‘nice’ town and as you know I am not a grest fan of Nev Powell, but they have more quality imo at this level.
    Having watched all other teams Prestatyn, after Carmarthen, are the worst footballing side imo and are not well equipped to survive . January could prove me wrong if they splash out on some better players particularly defence and midfield as they have options up front