1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Puzzle/escape rooms

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Canary Fairy, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Anyone done one?

We’ve just been with my two and their partners. It was for my sons birthday, March 2020.. just as we went into lockdown!

it was great fun and really needs you thinking. We got out with 3 minutes to spare. Found the diamond, which was the point of the exercise

Would definitely do another

https://puzzlescape.co.uk/

TLC likes this.
  2. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Did one here before the pandemic. Was fairly challenging. It helps if you go with your friends. In fact it's more fun that way. The silliness from your mates is more fun than the puzzles.

On a side note, the Room series, Fire Maple Games make similar kind of puzzle games for phones. Add Rusty Lake Games if you enjoy a bit of strangeness with this kind of games.

Yeah, but playing it in real life is a different kind of fun.

3. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Yeah we did one a couple of years back.
    Bought vouchers at Christmas presents so we go back and then lockdowns meant it’s expired technically…

We got out with a few minutes to spare. Think to tackle the harder ones we could do with a bigger group rather than two of us but alas it’s finding people to join us.

Not quite the same but gonna plug the murder mystery weekends now they are back http://www.murder.co.uk

4. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I wouldn't mind doing things like this because over the last year I haven't really exercised my Brain. I need to get into the routine of problem solving and solving in a good time. I'd like to do it myself to get that sense of achievement too. I've really slacked over the last 12 months and fatigued when doing nothing.

5. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I've never done one but have been wanting to for ages. The is a Game of Thrones themed room in Belfast, so I might give that a go some time.

I do like puzzles and quizzes. I currently spend a lot of time playing Geoguessr and Sprocle. They're both a good way to test your brain @Tornado

Canary Fairy, Leivapool and Tornado like this.
  6. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    If anyone genuinely wants to test their brain and is into mystery stuff I can highly recommend the two ‘online murder mystery’ cold cases Joy put together during lockdown when she couldn’t put on the actual weekends.

£5 each (or at least was when they came out) and if you buy one you are under no obligation to buy the other one.

I get they aren’t for everyone and despite recommend and encouraging people for 8 or so years now (both online & irl) I don’t think I’ve got anyone else to give either a go, which is a massive shame because they are excellent.

https://murdermysteryinvestigations.com/

StretfordEnd likes this.
  7. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Only once, a couple of groups of us did one a few years back. Was good fun, we got out with half an hour left and the other group didn't make it out which did amuse us. Iirc we did get a room where the puzzles were largely science based and I was in the group with lads with postgrad degrees in chemistry so got a little fortunate I think!

I'm a big fan of both geoguessr and sporcle, spend a lot of time on both. Certainly increased my knowledge of Kyrgyz number plates.

8. PorkchopExpress

Supports:
    Manchester United
    You have to keep at it though. Some timwa I don't play for a few weeks then forget what cou tey has double yellow plates, which country has yellow outside lines, and white inner lines etc.

A key one is to know the difference between Korean, Chinese, and Japanese writing. They are very difderent, so easy to recognise. Much easier than telling the other south east asian writing styles apart.

I still can't get the hang of the african countries though.

9. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Yeah I’ve done a few in my time and I’m a fan. Couldn’t do them too often or I’d lose interest, so doing one as a one off event every year or two is just enough

Beat the record for the fastest time on the most recent one I did with some friends :duke

Canary Fairy likes this.
  10. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    The rooms certainly exercise your brain and I must have used part of it that I’ve never used before :laugh: it’s not all about being clever, though, but thinking logically and being creative. Interaction with others is good too, with no phones or other distractions

If you can’t get along to a room, @PorkchopExpress has provided you with some great alternatives

Tornado likes this.
  11. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Played Trivial Pursuit last night and managed to get to 4 Pies. Nice warm up.

12. PorkchopExpress

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I hate Trivial Pursuit because it relies too much on dice rolls. I've played games where I ha e answered 50 questions correctly and lost to somebody who answered 7 correctly.