1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Rate the Home Support

Discussion in 'Championship' started by AVA, Oct 29, 2021.

1. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I often see questionable 'rankings' of home support flying about on twitter so thought it would be interesting for people to actually rate home support after they go to a ground as an away fan.

I've only done one away game this season so I'll lead with that:

Bristol City: The home support was very, very quiet however I'm going to hold back slating them too much. They haven't won at home in so long it must be disheartening, also (without being arrogant) they had nothing to cheer that day. It felt like the ground could get rocking if they were up for it.

2. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I think everyone's home support is a bit crap, including ours, and including every away game I've been at this season (Forest, Hull, Cardiff, Peterborough, Bristol City). I would struggle to pick any one of those as being any better or worse than the others.

Despite how well we've been doing I've often sat at home and thought why is it this flat? Our younger vocal support seems to have switched stands, and the average age of those around me these days is more middle age and pensioner. Night games are usually better for some reason.

Return of J likes this.
  3. Return of J

Return of J Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol C
    Very fair assessment, played off the park and no home win in 16 games. It was as quiet as I've ever heard it, left after 55 minutes or so and went back to the pub.

Of the away games I've done this season:

Forest Green - few lads behind the goal spent most the game goading our end and ended up getting a reaction at full time, almost respect it in some ways :laugh:
    Middlesbrough - not too bad as always behind the goal, they have a drum though.
    Cardiff - predictably shocking as they are every year, got scattered outside the ground as well in that park.
    Millwall - usually one of the better grounds I've found, I went the other year when they were on that run for the playoffs under Harris and it was absolutely rocking but it was horrific this year, was midweek but there was barely anyone there.
    Peterborough - I was so smashed I can barely even remember.

No home supports really impress me in this league now Wolves and Leeds have gone up, as said Millwall can be pretty good and Coventry I believe too (though I'm yet to experience it when I've been to the Ricoh). Blunts and Blues can be lively too both inside and outside the ground.

AVA likes this.
  4. SpongeParr

SpongeParr Registered User

Supports:
    QPR
    I haven't been to an away ground this season so I will comment on QPR support this season.

I think our home support has been fairly good, for the most part. We have 2 sections that sing and seem to have got larger. There are a couple of blocks right near the away fans (where I stand) that is fairly vocal. Most singing seems to be about the away fans though, which can be good but get's a bit tedious.

We then have the QPR blocks in the far right (as you look out of the away section) and the Loft where there is also signing. Before the cheap seats were a thing, this was the only place where you would hear noise which means the away fans never heard it, as noise doesn't travel very well down the actual stand.

I think a Bournemouth fan on here went to QPR vs PNE and thought that it was fairly good for atmosphere there, which I will take. It's certainly better than it was a year or 2 ago.

5. Return of J

Supports:
    Bristol C
    Were our fans any good at your place? I had my ticket and train booked but went a bit heavy on the Friday night and slept through my alarms.

Sounded like we got smashed in all but scoreline, was amazed when the Bet365 "QPR 1-2 Bris C" notification came up :laugh:

6. SpongeParr

Supports:
    QPR
    Sorry to say, I didn't make that game. But yeah, by all accounts, we would have won 3 games normally but you guys stuck in and Wells of all people goes and does what he does in the last minute.

Return of J likes this.
  7. AVA

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Yeah that was me. I was at Luton vs Hull last weekend (got a Hull supporting friend) and QPR's support was better. The only thing though was that at QPR I was in what felt like your vocal section, and I know at some grounds (ours a good example) the sound doesn't always travel well.

Hull definitely had the most negative fans I've seen though, they were singing 'we get battered everywhere we go' after about 18 minutes :laugh:

8. Return of J

Supports:
    Bristol C
    Can have Wells back if you like - not done it here.

9. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Only away I've done this season has been Blackburn, and their home support was really poor. It's been a disappointing atmosphere every time I've gone there, although this was the worst.

I guess at the time of the game (first of the season) there wouldn't have been much optimism around the place, I think it was their first game back for 18 months and there was something like 9,000 home fans. I don't know if some are staying away with the owners or not. They didn't really sing at all despite winning the game, seems odd for a club that's significantly bigger than us, and have had historical success and big crowds either side of Jack Walker's spell there.

10. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    WBA's was fairly decent but everyone started leaving at the 70th minute, Reading's was shit, Cardiff's was shit.

11. tiltontrev

tiltontrev **~Key Worker~**

Supports:
    Small Heath Alliance
    I’d say pretty much all home support is shite these days unless it’s a local derby or your team is giving someone a pasting.

I often sit there with a sardonic grin as some 800 odd no marks are singing how our “support is ****ing shit” knowing full well they’ll be sat in their seats the following week at their home ground having it sung back at them.

I’m not a massive singer anyway, but I never join in singing about any support being shit, I tip my hat to any football league supporter getting their arses to a game and support their team in this day and age, it can be very easy not to bother.

JoshBCFC and Richard like this.
  12. SpongeParr

Supports:
    QPR
    Cooper said it was a good atmosphere fro both fans at LR last night. I'll take that.

13. TomPNE94

TomPNE94 Registered User

Supports:
    PNE
    I hate to say it but Blackpool’s is excellent most games.

14. AVA

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Are there common trends that has killed off home atmosphere?

Ours was quite good from 2013-2017 (IMO) but the malaise and repetition of the Premier League seemed to really kill it. It became much, much quieter and everyone around me seemed to get fatter/older/grumpier. It's picked up a bit recently thankfully, but I think our club don't help- they don't make any effort to 'foster' the atmosphere and play droning crap music at every chance too.

AFCB-Nutter likes this.
  15. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    Matchday prices, a lack of competition, less physical play and a sense of entitlement with fans are all contributing factors for me.

AVA likes this.
  16. Pubclown

Pubclown Play Off Kings

Supports:
    Blackpool
    That's gotta hurt.

We do seem to get right behind the team these days and create an excellent atmosphere.

Some songs do get repeated a bit too much though, but it's better than sitting in silence.

TomPNE94 likes this.
  17. TomPNE94

TomPNE94 Registered User

Supports:
    PNE
    Yeah not great haha.

It’s not too bad, my brother plays for you so I have to be at least a little supportive.

18. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    Ours is on the whole (and i’m sure thoroughly unsurprisingly to all) pretty shit.

That said, even on the occasions it is actually good (Derby for the playoff semi final a few years back being a prime example) away fans can’t hear us anyway so not sure it’s particularly easy to judge

19. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Can't really do aways through illness but ours has remained the same for years , a slight splattering of noise at 2.55 & pretty quiet most of the 1st half but tend to get behind the team in 2nd half especially if Adam the drummer is there & if the 2 sides of seated fans join in .
    I left after 94 of 95 minutes QPR & it sounded raucous outside of London Road .
    Of the 3 away teams I've seen at London Road this season , Birmingham were the loudest & with different songs , QPR & Brizzle quite poor trouble with all fans they seem to sing the same songs with Status Quo being the " newish one " probably be sung by our lot my next visit on Saturday .
    Not sure what to expect from Fulham fans next Saturday , I expect 3.800 , I hope they leave them plastic fans things they have at home , f*cking tinpot that is !!!

20. Pubclown

Pubclown Play Off Kings

Supports:
    Blackpool
    Interesting, 1st teamer?