1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Scariest experiences of your life?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sandsy, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    We had a large earthquake here the other day which got my partner panicking and likewise a few of my friends here seemed to have felt the same. The earthquakes don't bother me that much now (though my first large one had me going a little) but it got me thinking of things that have scared me over the years and how others would have reacted to them and vice-versa.

Not sure if I have shared this story on here before, but a few years ago when North Korea were testing missiles in the Japanese Sea at 6am, I was having a morning dump when my phone started blaring out a warning signal. For those who don't know, Japan has a system where mobiles can be sent warning signals for things like earthquakes.

This warning was different to the earthquake one so I was a little confused, but the warning message was in Japanese so I had no idea what was going on. About 30 seconds later I get a badly-translated message which said something along the lines of 'North Korea has fired a missile at Japan. Not yet sure if it is nuclear. Get to your nearest emergency evacuation point.'

After cleaning myself up I poked my head outside and it was as quiet as any other morning, and none of my neighbours had rushed out their front door in a panic, so I just went on my day as normal like everyone else. Turns out this wasn't the first time for the Japanese to get this message, and if my message had been translated properly it would have said ' North Korea has fired a missile over Hokkaido and into the Japanese Sea. Please be ready to evacuate incase another missile is fired later.' :laugh:

Also had a few cases with snakes in Australia which scared me as usually they appeared in my peripheral which gets your lizard brain going haywire. The two experiences I remember most vividly both occurred on the same job in NSW. The area we were working on had a lot of old, burnt wood lying around from a fire decades ago. They were white by this point and I think that years under the sun had pretty much removed the charred colour, or something else had anyway. One day while on the quad, I was driving pretty quickly, and generally you avoid running over sticks because they are very brittle and end up putting a hole in your tyre. I went past what I thought was a white stick only for it strike at my foot. Thankfully I was going too quickly so it didn't get me.

A few days later I was rolling up some wire (black) and with the way and speed I rolled it I could always see the wire flicking up each time in my peripheral. If I was in a rush it wasn't uncommon for the wire to be flicking up 5ft+. This day was a busy one so I was rushing it but in the corner of my eye I noticed what was too thick to be my wire flying in the air and it turned out to be the snake in the pic I attached. Thankfully he seemed as distressed as I was and got the hell out of there.

Other than that, my terrifying experiences are all road-related. Thai drivers were by far the scariest but they don't pretend like they follow any rules so you know where you stand with them. Japanese drivers are not as terrifying but they pretend like they know what they are doing which makes them more unpredictable in a sense. They also have a tendency to either not look where they are driving or focus only on where they are driving and not notice pedestrians, cyclists and sometimes other cars. My Grandma was in general a much safer driver than all of Asia, but she had her moments too.

Attached Files:

2. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    I think I told this one on here at the time, was many years ago now. Must have been late 2008.

So me and 5 other coaches had done a taster session at a school - We’d done in two cars. Pod drove one and Johnny (nicknamed Trigger) drove the other one, he’d not long passed his test.

Anyway, we are on our way back and I’m in the car with Trigger and the rest are directly behind in Pods car.

The route back, a lot of it is a two lane A road, relatively straight.

So Trigger decide try and over take the lorry in front of us. We get along side it so are on the other side of the road, there is a slight bend in the road - then on the other side of the road a big army jeep thing comes round the corner.

Now logically I’m thinking the obvious course of action is to slow down and get back in behind the lorry.

Trigger floors it, it’s little Citroen something or other which is basically made of plastic apart from the bonnet and the engine isn’t even a litre if I remember correctly.

So we are along side this lorry towards the cab and army jeep coming straight at us and I’m expecting a horrendous collision and death. It feels like we are sitting ducks.

Trigger gets along side the front of the lorry cab and cuts in front of it, the right front corner of the lorry cab hitting the back left corner of triggers car - on impact I’m expecting us to massively spin either in front of the lorry or across the road into the jeep.

None of that - we are in the correct lane going straight, absolutely fine. I look in the wing mirror / behind me - expecting to see the back corner of Triggers car caved in, noting I can see.

We stop at a petrol stations to get out and have a look, no dent, just a bit of scraped paint.

One of coaches behind me in Pods car text me to say he’d already dialled 999 Expecting the worse that’s how precarious our situation looked.

I’m not a car expert or a physics expert but the way things unfolded seemed at the time to defy the laws of both or maybe that’s too many over the top car crashes in films.

Either way I never got in the car with Trigger again.

3. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Doing CPR on the old man.

To this day, I don’t know how I didn’t completely panic and break down. He effectively died in front of me, I knew he died but I still listened to man on the phone and administered CPR.

It was only for 10 minutes before the paramedics arrived. It felt like 10 hours.

Thankfully, he survived.

Gloria Lestafan, TAFKAP, Sme and 7 others like this.
  4. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    The mighty Newcastle United
    Being raped by a man who could be extremely violent.
    Knowing I should be fighting back trying anything to stop it happening, but also knowing if I did I would end up in hospital with far more serious injuries and still have been raped.
    So I lay there crying saying no, please stop over and over again and when it was over I ran away.

It's been 30 years and I still have panic attacks to this day if someone is overtly aggressive towards me :(

5. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    ****ing hell. :(

6. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    No words.
    Sorry you had to go through that :(

7. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    For me its my kids being born.
    People may remember why i ran the marathon. Not that i mentioned it much...
    Both my kids were born in stressful circumstances and both times there were moments i thought we'd lost them.
    Sounds funny now, but i was sent into a room to put scrubs on and i was in such a state i tried to put the same XS top on about 5 times. I kept putting it back to look for another and everytime it was the same ****ing top i picked up:laugh:

8. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Can't imagine the terror of not knowing if your kids will make it :(

9. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I've never got over it i dont think.
    Even had therapy after the first. She suggested that my mind was trying to process losing him even though we didn't.

TLC likes this.
  10. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Makes perfect sense, the mind doesn't just go 'well it turned out all right in the end' and just move on.

Richard likes this.
  11. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    OMG that is shocking. Sorry you experienced such a horrid thing :(

When I had my first baby, I lost a lot of blood and doctors were flying around all over the place. Thankfully I didn’t have a blood transfusion, but it was close. Second birth was fine, although I worried constantly about it through my pregnancy.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Bloody hell Tracy you've been through some shit over the years that you didn't deserve. :eeek

13. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    That sounds awful. So sorry to hear that you had to go through something like that.

14. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    To slightly lighten the mood a bit.

When I was 14 or 15 me and a few mates were doing the usual teenage weekend activity of drinking in the park. It was pretty late and very dark. The park had a playground next to a busy road at one end where kids would drink as it was light and then probably half a mile of grass with some more entrances right at the top and a little creepy alleyway halfway up.

On this evening we were walking to the top of the park incase the police turned up. One of our mates starts telling this story of the ‘midway murderer’, a serial killer who lurks in the alleyway midway up the park and had killed 5 people. It was one of those where you know it’s bullshit but you’re young, half cut and its so dark you still get creeped out still.

About an hour later we’re walking back through the park and it’s pitch black. Someone mentions the murderer again and despite all of us hiding being the macho bullshit it’s clear all of us are bricking it.

As we get closer to the midway alleyway we start to hear this rustling sound and whispering. Just as we reach the alleyway a person bursts out of a bush and screams something. In that moment I was 100% convinced I was going to die :laugh:

All 5 of us absolutely bomb it down the park, out the front gate and halfway down the road. Running like our lives depend on it. Found out a few days later it was a bunch of kids from the year above us who were smoking weed in the park but needed a lighter and were coming to ask us for one :slap:

JoshBCFC likes this.
  15. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    This reminds me of another one from me, in the more light hearted, can look back at it and laugh category.

In Tenby with my Geography class. End of year 1 so most of us are 17 (it was my 17th the birthday the day we came back but that’s irrelevant)

So were in, what I guess is a youth hostel type place and all the lads in my room (8 of us) decide we are going to go off site and find a pub.

So we leave the actual hostel and there is a big long ass drive way/entrance we walk up till we get to the road out where you can either go left (down hill) or right (up hill) the road you turn onto his a small country lane, there must be passing bays somewhere along it because there is no way in hell you’d get two cars down there.

Anyway we are walking up hill and then over the top of the hill a great big Texaco Oil tanker. Obviously taking up the whole width of the road, no paths, no roads off it. Can’t even get through the trees/hedges to get off the road.

We all kinda freeze wondering wtf we are going to do then we all just instinctively turned and ran as fast as we can back down the hill to the turning into the hostel.....and give up venturing out at that point...

I mean no doubt the tanker driver could see us and there was very little chance of him running down 8 college kids on a country road but still...

16. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Once drank 2/3 of a bottle of pink gin, 2 haze cans and a few shots of vodka. I am stick-thin and extremely lightweight.

Scary bit was waking up the next morning being told what I'd done after 12 hours of being blacked out.

#DrinkResponsibly

17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    The mind is crazy sometimes.

#EatSomeMeat

Stevencc, JoshBCFC and Richard like this.
  18. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Not scary in terms on me being in danger, but about 3/4 years ago my mum got a call from my grandad at around midnight, he'd had a call from the hospital that my nan, who was in for a routine diagnostic procedure, had taken a turn and that he had to get there as quickly as possible. Both my mum and Grandad had had a drink and couldn't drive, so I drove me and my mum to my Grandads to pick him up then on to the hospital.

Well when we got to the hospital I don't know who was laying in the bed but it wasn't my nan, she didn't recognise any of us, she was screaming at us and the nurses to leave her alone, wouldn't let the doctors or nurse put her IV line back in. Already one of the most surreal and scary experiences of my life looking at someone I love more than anything in the world acting in a way I have never seen her act before. Then the bleeding started. Only a little at first, and the doctors thought it would stop on it's own but it just kept flowing faster and faster. Before I knew it there were multiple doctors in the room and we were all asked to go to a family room just down the corridor. At this point it was about 2 am, time passed slowly at first but before I knew it it was 6am, at that point with no word from the doctors my only thought was that she must have died, 8am rolls around, I remember that I have a job interview at 10am and call and cancel. Me, my mum and my Grandad had barely said a word to each other the entire time.

Still no word from the doctors, 8:30 finally someone comes to talk to us. She's alive, stable and behaving normally again. They'd had to activate some emergency protocol that gives them access to all the bags of a certain blood type in the hospital. She had needed 9 units of blood in the 6 hours from when we were asked to leave until then, probably more than she has in her entire body as a small woman. But she was alive, and is still living a happy, healthy life. I will be eternally grateful to the nurses and doctors from that night, as well as the wider NHS, because they performed a miracle that night, they brought someone back from the dead.

JoshBCFC likes this.
  19. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Bloody hell. What actually happened?

20. TLC

TLC FF's OverWench
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Good grief that must have been really worrying all the way through

Thanks guys, it's the first time in all these years that I've actually 'said it out loud' on here - there have been hints in the mental health thread about the causes of my panic attacks ... xx

Shane and Mowgli like this.