1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six Nations 2020

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Jezza, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Opening Weekend

Wales vs Italy
    Ireland vs Scotland
    France vs England

Wales and England favourites. Ireland under a new coach.

2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    We're also under a new coach, and face England and Ireland away this time round so I wouldn't expect us to win it.

The bookies don't have as down as favourites at all, with us at around 6/1 to retain the Championship.

3. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    This is just ridiculous already. Wales nearly at a point a minute and I think Italy have only had the ball to kick off - truly pointless match.

There has to be question marks about letting Italy continue in this competition as it's just defeat after defeat for them. If not revert back to 5 nations then at least have the 6th placed team have to have a playoff against another lesser nation (in rugby terms) to see who becomes the 6th nation the following year?

4. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I don't think it'll happen for financial reasons, Italy generate more revenue than Georgia and that system would risk a side like Scotland dropping out which would be a big blow financially.

Yeah it was never really much of a competition today, but really pleased with some of the rugby on show.

5. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    The fear of a bigger nation like Scotland managing to get themselves relegated was something I'd thought about when I was typing my previous post. It's just a bit of a no contest whenever a nation plays Italy and I'm bloody annoyed that, having been looking forward to the 6 nations for weeks, I've been left with such a no contest which I've already switched off in favour of the football scores.

I should also add that my ranting is not to detract from the Wales performance. They can only play what is in front of them and they did it to perfection in the opening 20 minutes

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  6. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    It's a shame really that Italy have never really progressed, if anything they've gone backwards in the last decade. When France were first admitted years ago they were shit but gradually improved and eventually became a force. Ireland also used to be one of the weaker nations but over the last 20 years have been consistently one of the stronger nations while Scotland have regressed in an almost parallel manner.

Relegation will never happen for the reasons already stated, financial. The other teams like Georgia who would be competing for promotion don't bring anywhere near the financial revenue that Italy bring. And as has been said the established 5 would never want it just in case they have a bad period and end up getting relegated. Scotland being the obvious most likely candidate.

The idea behind Italy's admission was that they were in a bit of a no man's land where they were clearly better than the other minor European teams, but not quite up to the level of the Five Nations teams. By elevating them into the competition and giving them the additional prestige of being a member of the club and the regular games against top quality opposition, they would be able to bridge the gap and eventually become a competitive side. And with Italy's population size and love of sport there was an obvious financial incentive for trying to get them up to speed too. It hasn't really worked out though and after looking on the verge of breaking through for a while in the 2000s they've regressed badly this decade and are nowhere near the required level these days. I'd give them another 5 years or so but if it carries on like this I can't see any harm from throwing them out.

Tomohawk likes this.
  7. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    **** sake Scotland, playing as well as I've seen them for a while and just can't help but ****ing things up. Hogg somehow managing to drop the ball when over the try line just the latest in a line of howlers :laugh:

8. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Like a training game for Wales!

Who will win the big one tomorrow?

9. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    Who knows? You can never know what sort of France side you are going to be coming up against

10. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    They've made a habit of that in recent years. Played well a lot of times, been on the verge of some big results and breaking through to the upper echelons of the Six Nations but somehow contrived to bottle it and lose games they should have won and end up finishing fifth yet again. Looking like this campaign will follow the same pattern.

Tomohawk likes this.
  11. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Very bad start for England here. Getting overrun. Big statement from them if they win in their chase for a first title in a decade.

12. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Really need to get a try back ASAP to put pressure on a young French side.

13. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Toys out of the pram from the English

14. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    We've always been a side that has quite a few errors in them but that was a ****ing joke. :laugh:

15. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Great start for us then, big game next week in Dublin. If Ireland offer us as many chances as they offered Scotland, then we've got a great chance. Should be a good game.

16. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Great win for the French, poor defeat for England. Grand Slam gone already and an uphill battle to win the title now where we'll need someone else to beat France while we'll need to beat everyone else.

The French are notoriously flaky. Can this young side keep the level up and find some consistency? If they can play this well every game then a first title for a decade could be on the way.

Super_horns likes this.
  17. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Quite - Wales in Cardiff on week 3 will be the real test for them.

18. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Week two

Ireland vs Wales
    Scotland vs England
    France vs Italy

Reckon Wales will beat us. Scotland vs England should be great. The Scots are improving.

19. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I didn't see all of the England match last weekend but from what I did see it just looked like a carbon copy of the WC final against South Africa. Seems to me that teams have realised that if they up their physicality against England then they have a chance and let's face it, Scotland will be physical.

I always felt that Wales would win this competition at a canter and it's looking like their biggest threat will be France, providing this isn't that typical French side that will be amazing one week and then worse than Italy the next.

My bets for this weekend would be Wales to beat Ireland by at least a try, England to just edge a spirited Scotland by the odd penalty and France to absolutely rinse Italy with at least a 30 point difference

20. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I fancy us tomorrow, based on the performance's last week. Ireland have been struggling for a little bit now, and they'll need to up their game for sure from what we saw last week. They're definitely capable of doing that though, so it'll be a great game. I like the selection we've gone with, with North back out wide and Tompkins in at centre for this game in particular. With Tompkins and Rees-Zammitt we've got really good options now in that back three with bodes well for us going forward.

Also been really impressed with everything we've seen from Wayne Pivac, and hoping for a repeat of the impact Gatland had initially for us in his first Six Nations campaign in 2008.

I do think Scotland have a decent chance themselves, they're going to have to be much more effective in England's 22 but they've done well against them recently, and with home advantage I think they've got every chance.

Tomohawk likes this.