1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Songs that shaped your existence

Discussion in 'Music' started by AlissonWonderland, Jul 4, 2019.

1. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    For this I thought it would be a good idea to link five songs from five separate milestones in your life and explain the relevance. It can be something deep, perhaps a song played at a relatives funeral, or it can be something innocuous like the first single you purchased. I will start with...

It's Christmas day 1995. A young Wonderland has not long started school and opens a present that contains this single and a spice girls pencil case. The moment is filmed on my dad's old camcorder. He can be heard speaking to my grandmother who kindly purchased this gift, telling her if I become gay this is a pivotal moment in my life .

Fast forward 6/7 years and a young Wonderland purchases RHCP's album "by the way." This is the first album I ever bought. It was around the time of my year 6 SATs and I remember bringing it into the schools post-SATs BBQ to show all my friends.

Most of my emotional formative teenage years was defined by Moz and Marr. I have the song title tattooed on my back and is still my favourite song of all time.

University years. I was surrounded by guys like @BleedsIsDead and would regularly end up listening to.something like this at 6am on a weekday shortly before the comedown kicked in.

Fast forward to the present day and a 27 year old Wonderland will be heard listening to this most days eagerly anticipating the latest tour.

2. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The Who - Who are you.
    - Keith Moon is my fave drummer of all time and the reason I learnt to play the drums. This was the first song I heard of theirs so always reminds me of asking for my first drum kit.

Elvis Presley - In the Ghetto.
    - reminds me of my dad every time I hear it and as my dad is my hero and the greatest man I know it makes me feel very happy.

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
    - reminds me of the best night of my life as a football fan. Nothing football wise will beat that feeling of Istanbul that night in 2005 I don’t think.

Coldplay - Yellow
    - First band me and my husband went to see together, had the best night and I knew I’d met my soulmate. So that song reminds me of that. It’ll always be one of our songs.

Paul Weller - you do something to me.
    - my first dance at my wedding. Greatest day of my life bar the days my kids were born.

3. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    This gets me out of finalising a Favourite Songs list for a bit longer.

We got given a cousin's Dansette "Portable" record player and a pile of singles Christmas 1964 when I was 11 going on 12. I know the year because Paddy McGinty's Goat was in the charts. The 45s were pretty rubbish but the record player was made good use of for 4 or 5 years.

[​IMG]

Eventually started playing it through a speaker we got from somewhere then, when mum got a transistor radio, moved on to playing it through an old Murphy Ekco valve wireless - which created a brilliant sound. This looks like the actual model.

[​IMG]

First records were bought for us and included the this Kinks LP along with various compilations of shit covers of the current hits. Music was a distant rival to cricket, rugby, football and books as an interest.

[​IMG]

There was an electrical (white goods) shop in Dalton that had ex-Juke Box 45s in a box on the counter for a few shillings. I've still got Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale/Salty Dog and T Rex's Ride a White Swan/Is It Love/Summer Time Blues.

Started buying LPs in summer of 1969 (age 16) , when I had earned some of my own money with odd jobs around the farm. In 1970, Fill Your Head with Rock lead to Chicago, Johnny Winter, Janis Joplin and, with buys over more recent years, I probably now have half the albums featured. Six Days on the Road (Taj Mahal) was one the songs that my musician mates, with me on washboard, did for a school assembly

[​IMG]

Only a select few mates were into music at school and eventually (Summer 1967 Radio 1 started) John Peel was our source of what was good and what was not but in 1965 Radio Caroline North was just taking over from Radio Luxembourg.

My 5 songs from that pre-Uni period (and that still sit on the shelves), would probably be:

• Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix. I saw Woodstock and Monterey at the cinema in 1968. Hendrix was the main man for the next 10 years and beyond. I have most of the albums. Those concerts also introduced me to Janis Joplin, Country Joe, Jefferson Airplane, the Dead and showed that the Who could hold their own with them. What a time to come to music.
    • Electricity - Captain Beefheart. Started a long love affair with the Captain and Zappa (bought Hot Rats soon after). Safe as Milk still gets a regular play.
    • Six Days on the Road - Taj Mahal (see above)
    • Parchman Farm - Johnny Winter. I eventually moved on from white guys playing the blues to the real stuff.
    • (Road House Blues - the Doors. Morrison Hotel got a lot of plays in the summer of 1970 and LA Woman, the summer of '71. - edit just realised I'd hit 6 tracks.)
    • Sunshine of Your Love - Cream. Disraeli Gears came out in '67 and went big in '68. I saw Farewell Concert at the Albert Hall at the cinema in late 1968.

#3 Habbinalan, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. Habbinalan

Supports:
    ....and the less long-winded version

5. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Leonard Cohen - Jazz Police
    The awful lyrics made me aware of how lyrics are important for the first time, and I started paying more attention to lyrics and what they meant. As I was six I hadn't yet realiaed that nearly all lyrics are about sex.

Gun'N'Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    My cousin had Appetite for Destruction, and when I told him I hadn't heard of G'N'R he played it for me. Instantly thought it was cool.

Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    This catchy song and hilarious video got me into rap and hip-hop, and inadvertently lead mw to meeting one of my best mates about 10 years later.

Pennywise - No Reason Why
    Heard this song, and within a month had found my "identity" as a laid-back, skateboarding "cool dude" who was into "alternative music". Still am today tbf (minus the skateboarding and cool haircuts).

blink-182 - Feeling This
    Came out during my last year at school, which I happened to enjoy, simply because I found school easy for the first time since I was about 8. Played the album a lot during that year and uni (it is my favourite album) so I associate it with much easier times.

6. Habbinalan

Supports:
    Songs from the Uni years.

I escaped rural South Cumbria (it was still Lancs in those days) to Reading University in the summer of '72. Over that year, I picked up a few albums that had been released in '71 but take a look at the '72 albums

Best Albums of 1972

The first term, we had the Who in Freshers Week and Roxy Music, Sandy Denny, Carthy/Swarbs Roy Harper and many more treats. I also went up to Leeds Uni to stay with my musical mates (who'd formed a band) and see Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick.

Stand out 5 songs would be
    • Baba O'Riley - The Who. Moon trashed the drum kit but it was fairly half hearted. He didn't get on with having to wear the headphones for this song either.
    • Ziggy Stardust - Bowie. Still a fave album.
    • Bananas - Man. Fave band of the time. Saw them live at the Students Union after returning from a wierd trip to Twickenham in the old landrover of a mate's scottish farmer dad who happened to be an RU member. We saw England beat Scotland. Man then blew Nazareth away - who refused to follow them on so the guys just did a couple more hours.
    • Mushroom - Can. I met my wife and soulmate to be at Reading. One of the few albums that was duplicated when we merged our record collections was Tago Mago
    • Seven Yellow Gypsies - Carthy/Swarbrick. Saw them 2 or 3 times a year at Uni and regularly since - as a duo, solo, in Fairports, Steeleye Span, Albion Country Band, with the Watersons and martin with Liza.

7. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United

Probably the song that most dominates my memories of music that I listend to when I was young and first really getting into music and arguably started me off on my obsession with rock and metal, RHCP were my first gig that I went too to with my Mum and Dad. They were shit :laugh:

Discovering this when I was 10 or 11 was like discovering a whole new world and was my first time dipping my toes into Metal whilst being in my indie phase and eventually leading me to discovering some of my favourite bands such as Blind Guardian, Epica, Dream Theatre, Symphony X and others.

A couple of years later and I discover this which fully kicked of my path down into becoming a dyed in the wool metalhead :rock: and lead my to discovering some of the more extreme sides of metal.

These were the first metal band that I saw live (I dragged my poor mum to see them with me for my birthday one year either 2007 or 2008) and they ****ing smashed it with that gig being a big reason as to why I'm mad about metal now.

First this song was the song that made me appreciate electronic music for the first time and secondly I was shown it by my cousin whilst visiting his place and it was not long after he had started working on his new speaker system which persuaded me to get my first summer job at 13 scoring cricket for my local club.

Marty_LFC and miss_lfc like this.
  8. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    BCFC, you know, the one in Birmingham
    When I was ten years old my older brother had just started working and he was buying albums like Every Picture Tells A Story, Imagine and Bridge Over Troubled Water nigh on every week. The Beatles had not long split up and my dad was taping their story off the radio, which was a three hour show every Sunday afternoon for about six weeks, playing practically every record the band ever performed.

So I grew up with music playing in our house at all times, which is why I drive my wife mad now when I have to be listening to some song or other.

I still can listen to The Beatles now but not with the same gusto as before, and I still love Rod’s very early stuff, but as I got just a bit older I had Slade, Mud and Suzi Quattro to listen and lust over, and then three years after that punk came out and it changed everything..

9. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja End Forced Debt + Fiat. Return to Gold

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Have you ever listened to 'The Shape of Punk To Come'?

10. Panja

Supports:
    I’d never heard of it until now, Red. I’ll give it a whirl when I get home tonight. I see it received some cracking reviews so cheers for that little gem..

RedDevilsShinja likes this.
  11. Habbinalan

Supports:
    I noted your Beatles attachment, with a strong Paul bias? I enjoyed them at the time but was much more into the Kinks, Stones and the US West Coast bands.

I have Every Picture Tells A Story and Never A Dull Moment from those days but he never did anything decent after them and was absoloute rubbish at the Reading Festival in 1973, when Status Quo and even Lindisfarne far outshone his latest version of the Faces. That Saturday was my introduction to Tasavallan Presidantii. I still have the two albums, which seem to be worth well over £100 now. Rory Gallagher topped the bill Friday night and the original Genesis Sunday night.

The Beatles Story would have been 1973, when I'd definitely moved on but was a big fan of John Lennon, not just for his music. I've still got a pile of C90 cassettes with "The Lennon Tapes" recorded direct from the radio (over 3 or 4 sundays, I think) in early 1981. The interviews, with Andy Peebles, were turned into a book.

That decade was pretty good but dying on its feet - then the Ramones opened a whole new world of Dead Kennedys, Ruts and Clash for me.

Panja likes this.
  12. Panja

Supports:
    I saw a million bands during the punk explosion. I must have seen The Jam seven or eight times from the early days of not filling a small club to playing a packed out Bingley Hall.

More a Lennon fan than Macca, but by 76 I’d ditched both for the new wave stuff..

Habbinalan likes this.
  13. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Origi 90+6

Supports:
    USA
    I wanted to start a thread like this but couldn't figure out how to frame it so cheers to @AlissonWonderland for thinking of this.

The Remedy (I Won't Worry) by Jason Mraz - Probably the first song that truly impacted me at a personal level. It was a big summer hit in the early 2000's when I was an early teen. I liked the song as it was, but the reason it resonated so much was that my grandmother was going through cancer at the time. She was given 6 months to live when she was diagnosed, and the chorus of this song "I won't worry my life away" sort of became her battle cry. It was years later when I found out that Mraz wrote it for his best friend who was going through cancer. My grandmother not only beat cancer, but she lived another 12/13 years after the original diagnosis. On my 25th birthday, those words became my first tattoo on my forearm. I was lucky enough to have visited her in the Philippines to show her the tattoo in the flesh and how she and the song continue to be a massive inspiration for me. Two weeks after I visited, she passed away, and not of cancer! I'm sure she'd have been happy with the life she led. Whenever I get bouts of depression and get suicidal thoughts I always look to my forearm and see "I won't worry my life away," and it helps get me through the dark times.

God Only Knows by The Beach Boys - I grew up listening to songs like this, and always liked them. What's funny is during the first time I did marijuana, I listened to Pet Sounds and it just opened up an entirely new world for me. The complexity of the words and music hidden in such a simple song was mind-blowing. The juxtaposition of once of such a pleasant melody and tone matched with words of longing and pain and such deep love. I'd say it's my favorite song of all time.

Merry Go Round by Kacey Musgraves - Wow. Just wow. I was always resistant to country music, but the first time I heard this song, I was just blown away and really saw how special the genre can be when done right. Musgraves paints a beautifully sad picture of a day in the life of a woman living in rural America, which comes with its share of baggage and expectations, and the tension for someone questioning the culture and beliefs that she grew up with. The lyrics are just incredible. "Same hurt in every heart. Same trailer, different park. It just cut right through me. I think the reason why it resonates with me because I didn't necessarily understand the context she sings about since I grew up in a very different world, but in the specificity of her words, the universal feeling of the struggle of being rooted to your identity while knowing that there has to be something more. Also, who knew the banjo could sound so pretty?

Brick by Ben Folds Five - Another song that just paints such an incredibly vivid picture of a scene while conveying the incredible gravity of hate. I was about 8 years old when this hit the radio, and I just remember feeling sad and empty after hearing it, without really knowing what it meant. Years later, and learning that it was a true story about having to drive his partner to get an abortion over the holidays makes the weight even heavier, but goes to show the songwriting talent Ben Folds has. The piano is gorgeous as well.

Secret for the Mad by dodie - This one is a bit more recent... by a singer famous on YouTube no less. Regardless this came out around the time I was truly in the worst part of my depression, and I felt that I was losing my mind/going mad, to hear her sing "I've got a secret for the mad, in a little bit of time it won't hurt so bad, and I get that I don't get it, you will burn right now, but you won't regret it." Just allowed me to hang on for a little bit longer until the storm in my head calmed down. Musically, her voice is gorgeous, and the fact that the piano only plays one note throughout the whole song is quite clever too. Music helped me through that time and it was this, Details in the Fabric by Jason Mraz, and You Will Be Found from the Dear Evan Hansen musical were all big parts of my playlist then.

If We Were Vampires by Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - This is another fairly recent one. I thought I had heard every take for a love song. This pushed the boundaries of what a love song can be. Haunting, tragic, romantic. A love song from the perspective of the prospect of losing the other person and making the most of even the smallest things like holding your significant other's hand.

Time for something happier? Sure.

Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty by Nature and No Diggity by Blackstreet - the two songs that really got me into hip hop and r&b. They are just so fun and turned my opinion from hip hop just being a bunch of gibberish to appreciating the form that I love until now.

Up Above My Head by Sister Rosetta Tharpe - This brought me to tears of joy the first time I heard this, and it still moves me every time I hear it. It opened up my appreciation for gospel music and I think it was the first time I just sat there and allowed music to carry me into a different world. Sister Rosetta Tharpe is one of my favorite vocalists and one of my inspirations for picking up the guitar. I'm not a religious person, but this song makes my spirit full.

14. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

Gaudete by Steeleyespan: Always reminds me of Christmas and I get nostalgic when listening to it, taking me back to when I was a little boy and Christmas was a more enjoyable time.

Blinded by the lights by The Streets: Reminds me of when I was at college and had a Sony MP3 phone, I used to listen to it walking home and it was when I started growing up (I also went to the same college as Mike Skinner, fun fact).

Set You free by N-Trance: I can vividly remember being pissed in Gatecrasher at the end of a night when this came on and it was awesome, probably one of the best moments of my life in a weird way, no worries or cares - just a student enjoying life

Crawling by Linkin Park: Probably the first proper rock song/band I liked and listened to as a kid, to this day their sound is pretty unique and their debut album was listened to by most of my generation.

Nothing Else matters by Metallica: I just love it as a song, it often makes me feel nostalgic and is probably the perfect song in my opinion.

Side note: Looking back this list makes me feel both happy and sad. It's good to look back at nice memories but also reminds me that life has gone too quickly and I now feel a bit weird.

Habbinalan likes this.