1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Southend United magical mystery non-league tour

Discussion in 'Non-League Football' started by Kim Mitten, May 1, 2021.

1. GTFCfish

GTFCfish Registered User

Supports:
    Grimsby Town
    Aha we’ve been getting a new stadium since November 2000. :cry:

2. Kim Mitten

Kim Mitten Registered User

Supports:
    Southend United
    Kevin Maher, Darren Currie and Mark Bentley announced as the coaching set up, more important appointments to come in the scouting and recruitment people for me. I'm still of the opinion that with Ron in charge it doesn't particularly matter who comes in on the coaching side, they'll still have to deal with him, they still have to wonder if and when they are being paid and whether any of the budget spoken about is the realistic figure or fantasy.

It's up to Ron now, especially when other people take a step back, to either stop meddling and change his ways or just carry on the same and keep interfering in every facet of the club.

3. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Probably be like a home game for you guys at Daggenham today support wise plus the new boss thing could end up with a good away day !

4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Do you think this will actually happen @Kim Mitten ?

Probably means the chairman will stick around I guess..

5. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    Who knows. The plans back in 2007 or so were fully approved and we never saw a spade in the ground with those. It remains 'when I see it, I'll believe it.' We don't need a 21k stadium though.

Something bigger has happened since, Ron Martin appeared in court for a £5.5M tax fraud. It's been sent to the crown court on November 23rd. Could be a massive day for the club, if he's convicted he automatically fails the fit and proper test and will have to hand over the running of the club.
    Then comes the red faces of local and central government who have backed the above scheme with a £30M grant, already doesn't look great handing over that cash to a man who is being taken to court by the serious fraud squad.

Super_horns likes this.
  6. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    Grimsby away on a Friday night, had to be done even when we are utterly atrocious. Our team is slower and has less skill than the cargo ships I saw docked on the way into Grimsby.

Have to say though the away end was fun, saw some faces I haven't seen for years, some of the best singing in ages, broke out some old favourites and we've got the great new chant: 'you're shit, but we're ****ing worse, you're shit but we're ****ing worse.'
    Oh and we also started singing twist and shout for some reason, no variation of lyrics, just singing the song.
    Good times, if only the football was as enjoyable.

Most interesting thing from last night was the half time chatter. A number of people are expecting Ron Martin to step away from his role at the club next week, his son will replace him on the board.
    New Chairman won't be named until after his court case, in which he is now expected to plead guilty and spend some time under her majesty's pleasure.

This is both good and bad news for me. Firstly if and when he is convicted the FA and National League will get involved and he'll be removed from owning the club, but I've no idea if he'll be willing to give up ownership. If he isn't this division will be running with 22 clubs. Also I don't know if he can just transfer ownership, to his son, or some kind of formal process has to be followed.

Then comes the son, the only thing I really know about him is he has no interest in the football club and is as heavily involved as Ron in the housing scheme, I don't think he'd have any qualms about folding the club and building houses on Roots Hall. If only we could trust the football authorities to help us out in any small way they can.

Biff Tannen, NotsoPosh and Mowgli like this.
  7. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    The Mystery Tour continues with the news that 71 year old John Still has been appointed as Head of Football ( whatever that is ) ?

He's brought respite & Covid as well with the match v Maidenhead off , what a guy :D

8. Kim Mitten

Supports:
    Southend United
    Going proper non-league with Still! I don't know what to make of it tbh, where is funding coming for all these people, we don't seem to be able to pay any players a decent wage but we'll get in as many off the field people as we can, I've never known so many coaching staff at the club. And is Still's role so different from Collymore's?

Maidenhead were the cause of the postponement. Questionable at best, they say only 1 player has Covid. At the start of the season the league said games would only be off if teams couldn't raise a team due to Covid, they've had Saturdays game called off as well, they must know the right people.