1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer signings 2018

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Lisbon 67, May 1, 2018.

1. Lisbon 67

Lisbon 67 Registered User

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    I'll let that one go Tommy :laugh: :thumb

2. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Goldson has signed for them today.

3. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Centre back pairing of Goldson and Katic.

4. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    Think he's a decent signing tbh.

5. pvm66

pvm66 Registered User

Can't say I know that much about him but he seems to be reasonably well thought of and imo he's the kind of signing that club need. If he does well he could have a sell on value as he's still a decent age.

6. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    I think he'll do well tbh and like you said, if he does then he'll have a good sell on value.

7. Celtic Symphony

Celtic Symphony Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic
    Reports the Celtic deal for Edouard should be concluded shortly.

8. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    £9 Million the fee will be for Edouard and talks are going on with the player in London today.

9. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Has he even been that good? Heard a lot about Dembele and Sinclair over here the past few years but not really heard this guy has been doing mad things...to break your record on him seems excessive tbh.

10. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    He was originally brought in as a third choice striker and looked a bit raw at times as you would expect from a 19 year old striker but he grew as the season went on and finished it very well. I expect if Dembele stays we may see Edouard take up Sinclairs position.

It's a big fee but realistically we can't buy finished articles and it's very hard to find gems like a VVD and Wanyama especially upfront as we have had a right few £2-3 million duds over the past few years, the difference in this deal is the manager has seen the potential and ability he already has and thinks £9 million is a good fee.

The boy has been excellent at every youth level for France upto u19s and is expected to get into the u21 side this season along with Dembele and Ntcham.

I personally think £9 million is high but potentially he could be worth a lot more, its a risk we can afford to take tbh as we are being quoted £6 million for strikers down in League 1 in England so value for money is very hard to come by.

11. Muller

Muller Fun Bobby

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fair enough just haven’t heard him raves about like Dembele was.

12. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    And to add to that there is rumors the Scottish TV deal will be Increasing by quite a bit in 2020 so maybe more money might start getting spent up here soon again.

13. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    Delighted a club record fee (around £9m) has been agreed for Eduoard, the guy looks like another one that can go all the way, in the same mould as Dembele.

Hopefully Dembele stays another year but if not i have complete faith that Edouard will be a very capable replacement and another who will go for big money in a few years.

It's a fantastic model to have. . . . We know we're going to lose some players but the club has tried and tested successors in to soften any blow of losing a player if that happens.

14. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It's a massive outlay for us to spend on a player who hasn't featured too often for us over the piece, but if his performance in the 5-0 game against Rangers is something he can bring to the team regularly then it will be very good business.

Personally, I never thought I would see us spend that sort of money on a player, but Brendan sees him every day and I think we just have to trust his judgement on this.

Now if we can just spend similar money on a right back and a centre half....

15. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    I would be happy with spending £9 million between a CB and RB and that being our business done.

16. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    With Robers gone we need a wide player.

We should be in the market to buy a centre back and maybe loan a right back and wide man.

17. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    I think Rodgers will get a proper look at Morgan before he goes into the market for a winger and we have Johnstone breaking through.

The.main priority is getting that defence sorted.

18. Lisbon 67

Supports:
    Glasgow Celtic
    He's not going to be turning to youngsters in Europe mate, with Sinclair struggling I think he'll definitely want a quality wide player in along with a centre back.

I think we do need a right back but I wouldn't prioritise it before the two positions mentioned above, Luistig can still do a job but he's going to be in need of a rest after the world cup and also needs competition if not replacing.

19. Caesar

Caesar Registered User

It is absolutely the main priority and I hope Brendan sees it that way too.

Get the quality in and try and play the same guys back there as often as possible to get that stability and solidity within the whole back line.

It seems ages since we have had a defence which hasn’t chopped and changed after every few games.

Consistency of selection back there will breed confidence throughout the rest of the team.

20. Celtic Symphony

Supports:
    Celtic
    My point being that Morgan may be good enough already to challenge Sinclair so he might not see the need to buy another.

I actually think Edouard can play on the left hand side up with Dembele.

For Europe it wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers goes the extra man in midfield in McGregor like he was doing at the end of the season, would probably give us a better chance at that level.