1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunderland ‘Til I Die

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by Adz, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Adz

Adz League One FOREVER.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    I would recommend this. It was a painful watch for me, but it’s very interesting seeing the behind-the-scenes of a club in turmoil, which is what we were last season. It’s in complete contrast to the Man City documentary that highlights all things wonderful about football.

They’re already filming a second series at the moment in our (hopefully solitary) season in League One and am hoping there’s a far more positive outlook at the end of it.

Anybody else seen this yet?

2. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Heard good things so will be checking it out at some point. I enjoyed the Juve doc on Netflix so hopefully this is similar.

3. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Ibra to Sunderland!

4. Godolphin

Godolphin Banned

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers
    Youth academy manager telling the CEO how the clubs transfer policy is going to be. Scouting team expected to draw up a list of potential recruits without being told the budget. What an absolute charlatan that CEO was. I could literally do a better job.

Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  5. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    I’m enjoying it less and less as it goes on, tbh. There’s a lot of little things that are really, really annoying me. The lack of dressing room access is a major sticking point. Makes it feel quite shallow.

However my biggest bugbear is how the games are edited. A lot of the crowdshots are taken from completly different games, and it becomes incredibly distracting.

• They’re away to Brentford; there’s loads of fans in gold shirts in shots of Grayson :confused
    • They’re playing Barnsley but then a player in a Reading shirt is shown
    • Players/Managers/fans wearing poppies over numerous games.
    • Shots from SoL when Sunderland are supposed to be away.
    • A lot of the crowd shots at Birmingham clearly being at Brentford.
    • Coleman reacting to a ‘goal being conceded’ whilst the game is still going on in the background
    Okay, it doesn’t really matter but I found that it really took me out of the documentary. Enjoyable but could be so much better.

johnnyT likes this.
  6. Adz

Adz League One FOREVER.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Yeah mate this is why people don’t like Martin Bain. The man talks a good game and that’s about it.

However, in some respects I know there was very little - if any - contact from Ellis Short (chairman) so I do believe his hands were tied at times.

7. WBArgo

WBArgo Registered User

I'm only just finished episode 2 and it's very interesting so far.
    I don't know how long the CEO was there for beforehand? But as said surely the scouts should know the wage/transfer budget and the U21 coach dictating the first team was bizarre. I think it's more understandable if he was new to the role and it's walked in on a complete mess but if he was there for even several weeks/months before hand then it's a bit of a joke.

It also shows Cattermole in a good light who seems to care for the club, as well as the dutch keeper who looks like a decent bloke. Funny moment was a pissed Darron Gibson saying how the players didn't care about the club, to which a fan says "well what are you doing in here drunk then?" :laugh:

8. BleedsIsDead

BleedsIsDead They Love You When You're Dead

Supports:
    BHAFC
    Thought Johnny Williams; despite being a Palace c*nt, came out of the show really well. Just seemed like a normal lad who’d been through a shit time and was really struggling with confidence problems and loneliness.

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Chris Coleman comes across well in it as well I think. Didn't have the best time there but certainly wasn't helped by not being backed in the way that I imagine he was promised.

10. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I'll get round to watching this soon. I didn't fancy the Man City one, they were great to watch and everything but it all sounds a bit too well polished and corporate. I never watched a minute of Being Liverpool either.

Fly-on-the-wall documentaries in football only really work out of chaos.

11. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    I watched one episode, and that was it in a nutshell. Like a glossy, annoying Manchester City advert. Massively disappointing, as I thought it could be really insightful seeing the likes of Guardiola and those top players with a documentary crew in tow. Normally I'd give something more of a chance than that, but one episode was enough - for a supposedly independent production it was embarrassing. The Sunderland one sounds infinitely more interesting.

12. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Binged watched this, it's a fascinating watch even though we all know how it ends.

13. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Season 2 out today, didn't think they'd top the last series but so far it's much better. This new chairman is the epitomy of David Brent :laugh:

14. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    Might watch this with my dad on the weekend. We're going to need to skip past the 3-3 game though.

johnnyT likes this.
  15. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Well can you can watch the first half when the Sunderland fans are so angry they manage to break the camera of the guy filming.

Probably surprised it took that long!

Then in typical fan style the players are great and Sunderland the best once the comeback is complete.

Tbf Sunderland had a decent on field season last year till Wembley.

Well from the outside anyway.

JoshBCFC likes this.
  16. MrE

MrE Registered User

Supports:
    Binged the second season.

Easy and compulsive viewing as most football documentaries are but good lord, I hope for nothing but disappointment for everybody involved in this show. (Sorrry to Sunderland fans on here x)

One big noticeable difference between the two seasons - Jack Ross took a back seat role with regards to the show compared to Coleman (and to a lesser extent Grayson)... I guess a bit of image management in case the season went to shit?

Good call.

17. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Probably just didn't fancy facing the cameras.

Don't think the previous 2 did either - particularly Grayson.

Seems this series was more about the CEO and chairman?

18. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Highlight so far has to be the Will Grigg transfer.

Donald initially in disbelief that Wigan wanted £1 million for him, Jack Ross telling Stewart Donald that he's worth no more than £1.25 million, and then going out and signing him for £3.5 million :laugh:

He actually comes across as a decent enough bloke, that's just hopelessly out of his depth and incompetent in his job.

19. Soup Ladle

Soup Ladle Registered User

Supports:
    Hartlepool
    Only seen the first three, not as good as season 1 but interesting viewing nonetheless. Pools have crossed paths with Stewart Donald when he owned Eastleigh in the National League. He bankrolled them to the hilt, but in this he comes across alright. I'm yet to see the Will Grigg stuff. I think a smaller lower league outfit is probably his limit in terms of scale of job remit and his own finances.

Josh Maja comes across as a sly **** though. Luke O'Nien a thoroughly decent lad, no wonder the Mackems love him. Refreshing to see how much playing for a club can mean to a player.

As for Charlie Methven - posh, sloany arsehole but to be honest, the club needed a shake up and some of his ideas were alright. Don't like how he talks down to the staff but you can see it from one side. He wanted his own people in. Club had underachieved a lot.

Super_horns likes this.
  20. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I think Maja has been harshly done by in all this. He's been interviewed saying he didn't know anything about a transfer, but that interview could have easily taken place before his move was in place given that they were filming throughout the season.

He wasn't obliged to sign a new deal, got an opportunity to play at a much higher level and the move's worked out for him. They've framed it in the way they have because the move hasn't worked out for him, but that's just the pyramid of football and when your in League 1 you aren't going to keep your best players. Sunderland will act in exactly the same way to clubs playing at a lower level to them, and will be looking for players running of contract to sign them.