1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Talent everywhere

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Rampant_Lion, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Rampant_Lion

Rampant_Lion Registered User

Supports:
    Dundee.fc
    For myself as a coach i have had the chance to do some work down in England working with a lot of youngsters. There just seems to be so many promising stars coming through your ranks. The question i have to the English supporters here is what position do you think you lack in when it comes to a next superstar?

Your midfield is covered in class with the likes of Wilshere and Chamberlain but is there more youngsters ready to step in or dont you see it happening?

2. Leivapool

Leivapool Arrogantly inferior.

Supports:
    Liverpool
    "Talent everywhere"

Except Scotland.

3. Spook

Spook Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Definitely strikers although you could say every area could do with an upgrade if we are to even compete.

4. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    I wish that were true! That's our biggest weakness, if Wilshere is injured our midfield looks old fashioned and predictable and we're talking about Wilshere who is always f#ckin injured. So we need some technical midfielders who can handle the ball. And a new striker wouldn't go amiss although Sturridge should suffice for now.

Just as well, we can't claim their good players in football! But if they ever get any I'll be campaigning to bring back that GBR team. As things stand I would like to amalgamate Wales as their teams play in our league we should be allowed Gareth Bale.

5. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    Sturridge is literally the only talented (young) striker we have at the mo who you could see doing well for England. In the 90's we were spoilt for choice for quality strikers to the point where strikers banging the goals in like Fowler and Cole couldn't get a look in, but now, once you get past Rooney, Defoe & Sturridge, the rest are well sort in being good enough to realistically help England progress/achieve something/anything of note. The area where we are spoilt for choice is centre half and right back, lots of decent players to pick form in these positions, just lacking the fire power really.

I want to know/understand what Belgium are doing/have been foing from grass roots up to u21's because over the past few years and looking ahead to the future they are producing some real talent out there, and this from a country with a smaller population than ours who's top flight league is considerably worse than the Prem.

6. Rampant_Lion

Supports:
    Dundee.fc
    We could still beat Croatia, no bad for the skirt wearers.

Maybe i have been mistaken. Is there any players coming through?

7. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I'd imagine it's the legacy of Euro 2000.

8. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    :laugh:

9. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Probably just luck. We have a few good youth academies like Anderlecht, Genk and Standard de Li├Ęge and I they just recruit all the talent in Belgium. I guess it's better to develop when you're playing with the best of your age category every day. A lot of our players also went to Holland or France when they were still young.
    But I think the most important thing is that they actually started playing at senior level at a very young age. Kompany, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazard, Courtois, Witsel all featured for their clubs at the age of 16 or 17, played CL or EL matches. In England there's very few players who actually get a chance of playing before they are 20, at best they get loaned out to a lower league team but in most cases aren't succesful there because they are only loanees and don't have time to settle in. As long as youth players aren't given a chance, aren't allowed to make mistakes at the highest level you aren't going to have a lot of talent coming through.

10. boyd_88

boyd_88 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    A generation of players doesn't suddenly come good with a couple of years' first team experience. All those players you mentioned will have been most drastically improved from the ages of 8-14. I'd imagine Belgium have simply belatedly adopted their neighbour's approach to youth development.

Teams don't give youth players first team experience to turn them into good players, they give them first team experience because they're already good players.

11. Rampant_Lion

Supports:
    Dundee.fc
    Not always the case

12. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I think a lot of technically gifted players aren't given a chance because they aren't "strong" enough. It seems to me that most youngsters that get a chance in English football are either speed merchants or very physical players. The only one I can think of that doesn't fit in that category is Wilshere.
    From what I've seen of U18 and U21 it looks like they are trying to emphasize on technique rather than Pace and Strength so that should improve the quality, the only concern is that a lot of those youngsters aren't English

13. Texas

Texas Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The standard of midfielders is improving (for the future) and the immensely gifted Ravel Morrison is belatedly about to explode onto the England scene. (And a notable mention for Will Hughes of Derby).

14. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    Indeed, 20-30 years ago players weren't even given a chance in the first team until they were 21/22 most of the time, and yet world class players were still produced.

15. saint_clark

saint_clark Up the Saints

Supports:
    Southampton
    Wilshere and Chamberlain have at least another decade of football ahead of them, what's the rush to find the next big youngster?

16. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    Ravel Morrison who is 20 yet has only made 1 appearance for West Ham since Jan 2012 and was booted out of Man Utd due to his attitude/lifestyle outside of football. No, he wont be anywhere near the England senior team, not now not ever. He's never even played for England u21's either.

Without including wingers, the only current England midfielder I rate is Wilshere. The future? Chalobah has the potential as he's only 18, not sure about any other young midfielders tbh.

#16 Mitch_wfc, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  17. Texas

Texas Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Be TOLD! Rav is ready to GO!

18. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    Sterling and Ibe will be quality.

19. Mitch_wfc

Mitch_wfc VIP

Supports:
    Watford
    Ready to go to jail maybe. Ready to go sign for a Championship club - most probably. Dont know why fat Sam signed him as he clearly doesn't rate him.

20. Texas

Texas Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    He signed Rav because of his immense talent.

Now he's stopped listening to rap music he should be fine.