1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Tawes v Taffs

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Riverside, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Neither side looks in the best of form.

After a good run, we've gone off the boil evidenced I thought by Kieffer's performance last night when, though there was no lack of effort, he missed a couple of decent chances and generally looked a bit jaded. A lot of games with no rotation in his case has perhaps has just taken the edge-off.

Still, no excuse not to find a spark for this one. Swansea have the chance of the historic league 'double' (never happened before) so this must be avoided at all costs.

Public Information Service
    Tawetaff.JPG

#1 Riverside, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Doubt it's going to be the best game of football but obviously a huge chance to get the double.

They say the form book goes out the window for the derby, so hopefully that cliche comes true.

Chance of a grand slam just after, could be a messy Saturday night.

3. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    something something swim away something something

4. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I think it goes Swim away, swim away, swim away, swim away, swim away, swim away. Catchy tbf.

JoshBCFC likes this.
  5. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
  6. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Doesn't feel like a derby weekend. It's shite without fans.

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  7. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Apparently no one has done the double in this game.

Hopefully that run continues!

Riverside likes this.
  8. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Well, at least it’s a season that no true fan of either club thinks really counts :whistle

Super_horns likes this.
  9. Hugh Jerection

Hugh Jerection Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Can I take it you'll be rooting for us tonight? That'll be a first.

Super_horns likes this.
  10. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Sometimes it’s just about grit and resilience. Sigh of relief. On we go.

#10 Riverside, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Super_horns likes this.
  11. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Now the dust has settled.

I thought we were decent and imposed ourselves on Swansea for the first 30 minutes and looked the bigger threat. Kieffer really should have put us 2 up after rounding Woodman, or if he had gone over with the challenge he would have given the ref an interesting decision to make. Glad his instinct was to stay on his feet though and go for goal.

As in other games recently we couldn’t sustain this and 2nd-half Swansea were really in control. When you win like that you get praised for grittiness and determination, but had we conceded no doubt the team would have been criticised for inviting pressure.

One of those games where it’s all about the result I suppose. But if we’re to have any realistic chance of reaching and winning the play-offs we’re going to need a bit more over the 90 minutes than resolute defending.

12. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    It's all about the result, the performance doesn't really matter. It's a little bit easier when this happens behind closed doors, and with us winning the first one, but it's always hard to take. We've both been there virtually every season we've played though, with the nature of this derby but it's the biggest opportunity we've had to do the double.

From our side of it, I think we were generally poor. First half in particular we were very poor. Tactically it's not really working for us at the moment, and it's difficult when everything needs to go through your right-back for us to look like scoring. The five at the back change came in to success, but I think now it's time to drop it, it's gone stale, we're not having nearly enough control of games and we're now starting to make defensive errors quite regularly as well. The main frustration I've got with it is our midfielders go hiding, and don't look to find space when our defenders have the ball, which regularly leads us playing a long ball which is useless when we haven't got anyone who can win it in the air.

I thought we were the architects of our own downfall, inviting pressure on ourselves for the goal, and Woodman did his best to gift Moore a second. I'm not really sure what Moore was doing there, he seemed pretty complacent with his finish, a decent amount of power on that and it's a goal.

Second half was obviously better, but still not good enough. Morgan Whittaker's definitely making a good impression, and is a good signing for the future for sure, but we do lack quality going forward outside of Roberts and Ayew.

This season, I can't see us competing with Watford. We've got them final day, and I think we'd probably need to go in to that game four points ahead which isn't going to happen. Hopefully we look a new side after the internationals, but we've got a fair few away include Lowe who's now been called up for the Jamaican side.

13. Riverside

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    Kieffer looks tired to me. He plays every game and tbf works his nuts off. Difficult to rest as we don’t have a similar replacement and he’s such a focal point for the team, but he missed a couple of decent chances against Watford too. Probably could do with a short rest just to freshen up, but I suppose it’s a bit of a dilemma at this stage of the season when we’re running out of time to catch the top-6.

14. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    He was definitely tired, second half he didn't have any real sprint in him. We've had the same with Jamal Lowe who's run himself to the ground, playing '90 twice a week. Mick will keep playing him as he's a much bigger threat from set pieces and long throws even if he's not able to run like he normally would.

Be interesting to see whether he starts for Wales against Belgium, I'd start him vs Czechia at home regardless though.

Riverside likes this.