1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tennis Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by nazzac, Dec 27, 2012.

1. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    I'd been really looking forward to this Aus Open, but do wonder how the air quality is going to impact things.

Didn't watch any ATP Cup. Djokovic's dominance over Nadal on hardcourts is just a joke at this point. Some are desperate to anoint him as the greatest ever and yet he can't get a set off Novak on the most prevalent surface, going back years and years now.

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  2. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I'm not sure how they're going to get around this air quality issue. It doesn't look like the fires will be going away any time soon and the smoke will be lingering around for at least the first week. There's literally nothing you can do to mitigate against it and equally nothing realistic that could have been done in advance to plan for this scenario. You can't play at a different time of day because the fires burn 24 hours a day and it's impossible to play the entire tournament on just the covered show courts, it'd take weeks.

Could we have the possibility that the tournament will have to be cancelled? I can't really see how they'd be able to rearrange it later in the winter or spring either. The conditions at the moment certainly look like they could be dangerous to the players' health.

3. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  4. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  5. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    No doubt if the top players go out early, the excuse will be lined up.

6. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    I think even on some indoors courts there have been issues. I don't know.. if it's significantly better, as you'd expect, I think most outer courts matches should just be moved indoors, and certainly those qualifiers should've been indoors.

Very unlikely they'll be able to move it later, as there's just no room in the calendar. The organisers get major headaches over periods of a week at a time when they're making changes and fitting everything in, as the calendar is very finely tuned. Can't really move a two-week tournament without compromising multiple other tournaments. I think they'll certainly try to play through, and see how it goes, as cancellation would be a disaster.

7. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Can't see it being cancelled or moved. If the majority of Matches are played indoors, some scenarios will have to be considered.

1. Starting matches early morning.
    2. Potentially playing more matches over 24 hours, so the first 2 or 3 rounds are completed within the first 3 days.
    3. Playing best of 3 sets with the Final Set being a shoot out.

Then again, can't see any of the above happening either.

8. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Have they got enough indoor courts to do it? I don't know enough about the set up there apart from the main courts. The early rounds of the singles, particularly the men's, can be difficult enough to schedule even with a full range of outdoor courts. Never mind if they're trying to shoehorn everything into a limited number of indoor courts.

I can only see them trying to bulldoze through and play the matches outdoors and just pray no one suffers an asthma attack. They would lose so much financially if they moved matches onto indoor courts with practically no spectator space.

9. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I believe they have 3 courts with a retractable roof.

10. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Eight indoor courts I think I read, so not enough without other arrangements. And I would imagine spreading out from the Aus Open facility, there may be more in the immediate area, but how many can there be, realistically.. As you suggest, there are so many matches in the first round, so depending on how many indoor courts they could get in operation, it would probably mean pushing the schedule back a few days. I suppose you're also approaching another awkward scenario where indoor courts in other cities are considered... it really is a cluster****.

Regardless, think it'll be a case of pushing ahead and hoping conditions aren't too bad for most of the first four days or so. Those indoor courts plus the show courts could probably cover everything from R16 onwards, but prior to that it's a logistical nightmare. Challenging first week - will certainly be interesting, in an ugly sort of way. A bad few days to start could really sink the tournament. Not just on logistics, but from the pressure generated by the media, and people crying about it on social media.

11. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Yeah I can't see them going down the indoor route. There wouldn't be enough courts, they'd lose a huge amount financially because I'd imagine these indoor courts will be training courts, maybe even public hire courts and would have limited or no spectator facilities. And then there's the question whether the courts would be of sufficient standard to play Grand Slam tennis. The indoor route is a guaranteed nightmare and a big financial loser, the outdoor route is a possible nightmare. They'll go the outdoor route and cross their fingers.

If they do play outdoor, they should open the roofs on the show courts to ensure a level playing field though. It wouldn't be fair for the top players to be shielded from the conditions while everyone else suffers outside.

12. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Seems like loads of games have been suspended- is that due to the weather?

13. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Yeah it's been raining. Which should help the air quality issues.

Super_horns likes this.
  14. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    In a way good news really!

15. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    Kyle.... :fail: I find it difficult to root for him. Got more time for Norrie, who doesn't have his firepower, but will actually fight and claw his way to wins.

Super_horns likes this.
  16. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Kyle has had his high. Seems like the run he had at then Aussie Open in 2018 has got to his head and just gone downhill.

17. The Valiant

The Valiant **********

Supports:
    Port Vale FC
    I agree - it's actually pretty mad that he made a slam SF. There are far better players who never made a QF. Not that he isn't talented, but then so are so many players. He's not got the mentality for it. Just lacks any kind of fire. You see what he can do in team competitions at times where he's got a bunch of teammates and fans to fire him up, but when he's on his own.... no, just hasn't got it.

18. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Konta'a lack of matches showed up but least Dart did well beating Doi.

19. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Haven't seen any of tournament yet. Is the air still causing trouble for the players?

20. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford

Think it's more the rain!