1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2020 USA General Election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Marty_LFC, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    It's over a year away, but as is the political calendar here in the USA, the primaries are a big part of it.

President Trump will be the incumbent for the Republican party. Jeff Flake was said to be planning on challenging him in a primary, and while Flake said he wants someone to challenge, it would not be him.

Over on the Democrat side, it is going to be an interesting race with a diverse group of candidates. We are seeing more representatives that lean closer to the Sanders wing of the party, and likely, Bernie Sanders himself may consider another shot at the nomination.

Here's a run-down of the candidates, including those who have officially declared their candidacy. I will provide links to relevant sites from when they declared candidacy if you are interested.

Those who have declared:

Bernie Sanders, Senator, VT
    Cory Booker, Senator, NJ
    Elizabeth Warren, Senator, MA
    Kamala Harris, Senator, CA
    Kristen Gillibrand, Senator, NY
    Amy Klobuchar, Senator, MN
    Jay Inslee, Governor, WA
    Julian Castro, former Mayor of San Antonio, TX
    Tulsi Gabbard, Congress, HI
    John Delaney, Former member of Congress, MD
    Pete Buttigieg, Mayor of South Bend, IN
    Andrew Yang, Entrepreneur, NY

Those likely or rumored to run:

Joe Biden, former Vice President, DE
    Sherrod Brown, Senator, OH
    Jeff Merkley, Senator, OR
    Michael Bennet, Senator, CO
    Steve Bullock, Governor, MT
    Terry McAuliffe, former Governor, VA
    John Hickenlooper, former Governor, CO
    Beto O'Rourke, former Congressman, TX
    Eric Holder, former Attorney General, NY
    Michael Bloomberg, former Mayor, NY

Rumored, but ruled themselves out:

Tom Steyer - businessman, Trump impeachment advocate

Then you have a couple of possible third-party wildcards:

Howard Schultz, former Starbucks CEO, WA

The race is on.

#1 Marty_LFC, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    JoshBCFC likes this.
  2. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool Football Club & Joel Matip
    Ben Shapiro 2020 #politics

3. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Sherrod Brown, Amy Klobuchar, Steve Bullock and marginally, Beto O'Rourke are the only ones who can defeat Trump. Unfortunately, the first three don't stand a good chance of getting past the primaries.

Joe Biden can **** right off as well. He's criticized young people for thinking they have it too tough and saying that his generation "finished the civil rights movement in its first phase." Joe, you were only 22 and the oldest Boomers were only 19 in 1964. Your generation did **** all, it was the WWII generation that pushed through and voted for the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Your generation inherited a world of prosperity and peace from said WWII generation, a generation who actually lived through scarcity and violence, but you guys then proceeded to piss it all away. You need young voters to win the election Joe, god only knows why you think chastising them pointlessly is going to help you or the Democrats.

4. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    People of that generation have a habit of doing this, on multiple different issues.

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  5. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    Considering the massive irony that they "worked so hard" to make life better and easier for this current generation. While in some aspects it has, in many others, we are dealing with a completely new set of pressures and difficulty. This theme will just repeat with every new generation.

6. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
  7. Burg

Burg Registered User

Supports:
    Fulham
    I certainly agree that this group are best placed to beat Trump (with Hickenlooper in the mix here too, I’d say) but you seriously think they’re the only group that can beat Trump?!

8. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    Sanders remains the most popular politician in the country, but he's wild old, and I think is damaged goods.

I don't know yet who I'd vote for even at the primary level for the Democrats. All I know is that I will not vote for Gabbard or Gillibrand. I have a ton of reading for the others. Policy-wise I'm closest to Warren, and I think she has a real shot at beating Trump, but I just worry about optics for all of these candidates in debate situations against him. Biden has the most bite, but he's a one-term candidate, I would think, and a little too Clinton-like policy-wise for my taste.

Beto has been a little exposed into not being versed in policy in recent interviews (although with the current President, who needs to be)... Kamala Harris is an interesting one, and if asked today, I'd probably vote for her.

9. Thunder Gunner

Thunder Gunner Here we go...

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Hopefully the fellow Progressives brethren don't lose their shit if the outcome doesn't match what they want, the future is pretty bright for them (as it stands) with AOC. They should focus more on making the moderates/centrist dems actually vouch for some of their policies if they want their vote like how Kamala Harris now supports Medicare for All (Although I don't really like her). Sometimes politics is the long game and for Progressives this will be one of those cases.

Marty_LFC likes this.
  10. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    Also I do think progressives are needed at the legislative level because then they can really dictate the party agenda (and vote them through) while they can have a bit more moderate Democrat in the executive branch helping to sell in these principles in a way that won't seem too radical.

11. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Honestly, our life's easier because of technology more so than anything. Boomers actually had a fledgling welfare state and booming economy that saw them fall upwards in their career. They proceeded to nip it in the bud as soon as they got power but they think they had it harder/we have it easier because we have the ****ing iPhone and they didn't. Honestly sums up just how narcissistic and materialistic that generation is. I also think that the argument that this just repeats with every generation, while true, still gives people a convenient excuse to be dicks. Besides, the WWII generation managed to do some long-term thinking at least, so it's not like we don't have examples to follow.

To be more fair to Biden though, his generation, aptly named the Silent generation, have always been dwarfed by the sheer number of Boomers. But at least they managed to prop up the global order that the WWII generation had built after the end of the Cold War till Iraq and Bush Jr. Boomers have been absolutely shite at both domestic and foreign politics on the other hand.

Yes. Let's run through the list...

Those who have declared:

Warren - Like @Marty_LFC , when it comes to policy, she's probably one of the closest candidates with my own views. She'd do well in the Midwest had her opponent not been Trump, who will eviscerate her in debates
    Harris - A Californian Senator is unfortunately simply not going to be palatable to the Midwest and South. She's like Obama when it comes to policies, meaning she's basically Obama without the charm
    Gillibrand - She'd do well against Trump in debates and she'd be palatable to the Midwest too. However, her associations with the Clintons completely spoil her chances
    Castro - No profile, no policy, no charisma
    Gabbard - Questionable foreign policy actions (supports Assad), past positions on gay marriage end her chances of doing well in primaries. You can throw in her being Hindu as well, her opponents will crucify her for having apparent ties with India's right wing. Just too many issues even if she somehow manages to get past the primaries.
    Delaney - :zzz
    Buttigieg - The guy has quite a lot of potential, but he's just a mayor still. He's using the campaign to build a national profile and I really doubt he has enough money to have a long lasting campaign. Excellent VP candidate though for the likes of Harris, Booker, Warren etc
    Yang - Non-starter

Those likely or rumored to run:

Biden - The man makes too many gaffes and his time is gone now. Plus, there's always a favorite in every Democratic primary who gets taken down (see Hillary 08, Howard Dean 04, Jerry Brown 92, Gary Hart 88 etc etc)
    Sanders - His time has passed too. Russia's specter hangs over him as well. Also, it was easy for him in 2016, to be the alternative because he was the only alternative. In a 10+ man field though, Sanders isn't going to have it easy. He's also not polling well given his profile.
    Booker - Won't make it out of the primary due to his big pharma ties. Even if he did, if his 2016 convention speech is anything to go by, he's not capable of "inspiring" voters.
    Merkley and Bennet - For both of these guys, what's their USP? They have none, how will they beat out 10+ people in the primaries? Both of them won't do any good in countering Trump's rhetoric either.
    Inslee - Had he not made climate change his central plank, I'd have thrown in him with those who have a shot, because he's one of the only strong Democratic governors along with Bullock and Hickenlooper. But mate, coming from Washington state and going on about climate change against Trump of all people isn't going to be a winning strategy.
    McAuliffe - Milquetoast neoliberalism ain't winning anyone the election. Also lacks the charisma to win even if he gets the nod.
    Hickenlooper - Won't be able to stand up to Trump's rhetoric.
    Holder - Fast and furious scandal.

#11 Tshabs, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  12. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
  13. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
  14. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    It'll be whoever Steny Hoyer decides is the most popular centrist candidate. After that all votes will just be lied about for the primary, much like what happened to Sanders. It's not a democracy, so it's easier to work out. It definelty won't be Warren, she's too left wing for the Democrats.

I wouldn't be surprised at Beto O'Rourke. He's statesman material like Obama, and probably just as loyal and serving Democratic funders. Good at doing what he's told.

JTC77 likes this.
  15. Thunder Gunner

Thunder Gunner Here we go...

Supports:
    Arsenal
  16. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Democrats have to look tough on crime because that's what their leadership wants. It's their way of appealing to moderates.

17. Jockney

Jockney Bomber Jackett

Supports:
    Millwall
    Donald Trump live debate nickname sweepstakes. Factoring in likelihood of winning candidacy into the odds:

BetA O’Rourke 2/1
    Boring Bernie 3/1
    Elizabeth ‘Pocahontas’ Warren 4/1
    1% Biden 5/1

Accepting additional nominations as the contest intensifies.

Oh and it’s gotta be all the way Bernie as the Dem nominee, surely? Harris is already rolling back on her M4A support, O’Rourke is Pinocchio, Warren’s Accountable Capitalism Act is half water, half Diet Coke. There isn’t anyone else who can drum up the enthusiasm necessary for independents and floating voters to turn out in the right states that I can see.

18. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Does it really matter who is president? To an extent, of course, but it's an increasingly impossible job.

Obama was thwarted at every turn in office by the House (and bought off by Wall Street when he'd initially campaigned on a change platform) and Trump getting nowhere with his main campaign pledges after running on a change (drain the swamp, build the wall) platform.

Last time around Sanders ran on the change platform and the Dems rigged it for the ultimate establishment figure in Clinton which handed the keys to Trump who is powerless and will go down in history as a useless president.

19. Flip Duckling

Supports:
    Manchester United
    It matters if a non-establishment candidate got in. Other than Warren and Bernie, the Dems don't have that, and neither of them will ein nomination. Hopefully Ocasio-Cortez runs in 2024.

20. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Won't happen though. It takes big money to run a campaign, the system is rigged. Obama was meant to be the non-establishment candidate and sold out to Wall Street to finance his campaign.