1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Brexit Trade deal ( remoaners welcome)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    The narrative will shift now. The huge cost is all the fault of remainers for dragging it out, even though we lost.

2. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    There's been a 30% increase of our most skilled workers leaving to work in the EU since 2016.

shaka likes this.
  3. Soup Ladle

Soup Ladle Registered User

Supports:
    Hartlepool
    Stop it. You're not true patriots, you keep doing Britain down. We'll be absolutely fine. They need us more than we need them.

Dez and Flip Duckling like this.
  4. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    I presume you've heard of the balance of trade and are using that basic set of numbers youve heard spouted.

if you've not paid any more attention that that fair enough but I hope you have not missed the fact that the UK is actually smaller than the eu so in % terms its an 8% hit to our gdp and 2.3% to the eu.

so no they dont need us more than we need them.

btw corona has had a 20% hit on uk gdp during lockdown which is a total cessation of business.

shaka likes this.
  5. Soup Ladle

Soup Ladle Registered User

Supports:
    Hartlepool
    I was taking the piss mate.

6. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
  7. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
  8. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
  9. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
  10. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers

Crying about what's in the Withdrawal Agreement he voted through and he also voted against giving MPs time to scrutinise the agreement. Peak Brexit stuff this.

11. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    It would be hilarious if it wasn't us that will be screwed by all of this in the end. ****ing bellends.

12. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    I saw this.

What duncan smith has done there is told a bare faced lie.

the 39billion is not actually really about the EU budget. the actual gap there is about 10billion and the eu states are meeting to figure out who pays more to make that up.

"A single settlement to include: Multiannual Financial Framework (the EU's annual budget), European Investment Bank (EIB), European Development Fund (EDF) and European Central Bank (ECB) issues. (III-2.23-24)

Based on the principle that the United Kingdom must honour its share of all the obligations undertaken while a member of the Union, including pensions and contingent liabilities and the UK should pay the specific costs related to the relocation of the agencies or other Union bodies, paid in Euros on dates to mitigate the financial impact on EU27. (III.2.25-29)

EU obligations to UK beneficiaries after withdrawal date and rules regarding contingent liabilities. (III.2.30)"

So guess what. UK people who served in the EU parliament (brexit party, ukip included) and all the diplomats or what have you all get a pension.

Guess what. The EU had very important depts located in the UK. these have to be moved. ITs actually a massive loss to the UK to lose them .European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the European Banking Authority (EBA) have moved out. The EMA alone will cost the UK in pharma licensing a massive amount, absolutely massive.

then theres all the court cases that are in the european courts, the projects that were committed to. All signed up to by the UK government.

The fact that duncan smith can lie through his teeth about the amount of eu budget deficit AND what the 39bil is is typical.

13. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
  14. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
  15. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
  16. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    A shit meal is better than no meal I guess, but 'more control' is just an illusion, seeing as Japan isn't budging over stilton cheese. It's not unreasonable to assume the tories might make a hash of these negotiations and accept an unfavourable deal, given they've got form for undervaluing our public assets along with handing out bodged contracts to bogus companies.

Then there's still the border control elephant in the room. For all the frothing that went on before the referendum, it seemed better controlled then than it is now; which appears to be a total free for all if Britain First are getting involved. I appreciate papers like to embellish their tales for clicks & sales, but there's usually a grain of truth in these articles.

17. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I don't care about any of that. I was just pointing out that negotiating our own trade deals, successful or not, does mean we have more control.

And tbh the hysteria from the brexit side is matched equally by the hysteria of the remainers. I’m fckin bored off all of yous! Our lives are not going to be vastly different like people like to claim. There isn’t going to be reduced opportunities. There is a big wide world full of them inside and outside the EU

And if enough people want back in, in the near future, then we’ll have another referendum and rejoin.

18. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    It will be interesting but it is not a good prospect. Reduced opportunities? you bet there will be that big world is dominated by other players and being a player seems to means exploitation now. china is setting itself up as the debtor in chief of africa for example where its building all sorts of every kind of road etc. I'm not quite sure what the opportunities are.

anyway. going back in will be problematic as the UK have signed away all the get out clauses given through various past treaties such as veto etc. The price of going back in might be even higher than the cost of leaving in terms of sovereignty.

Once out that's it imo. The main opportunities will be in finance not in other sectors.

19. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Who is to say there will still be an EU in 10 years time with all the divisions we're seeing?

20. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I doubt very much that there will be a UK in 10 years either

Minty likes this.