1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Brexit Trade deal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by johnnyT, Jan 9, 2020.

1. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I hope so, because there's not much meat on those Ballerinas if we have to eat them.

StretfordEnd and Andy like this.
  2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    How will we get there with no petrol/diesel though? :(

3. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I'm tempted to go out and buy a year's supply of toilet paper & pasta before the news channels start a panic buy on them.

FranniesTache likes this.
  4. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    But isn't there a shortage over Europe too? So it's not just this country alone, I don't think.

5. Riverside

Riverside Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    I think the argument is that Brexit has significantly compounded the issue so that in the EU they are not facing empty shelves etc. So that point is really a false equivalence.

#2785 Riverside, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  6. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    If there is a shortage in Europe why is our solution seemingly to relax post-Brexit visa rules to enable 'thousands of lorry drivers' to come to the UK?

Either this plan is going to fail because there are no spare drivers in Europe or all the talk of this not being Brexit related because there are shortages everywhere is utter bullshit?

7. Frosty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Either way, I don't think the HGV crisis is hugely contributed to brexit. Yes, it has contributed to the problem, but the whole problem is lying within working conditions, pay, and the pandemic. It's taken up to now for the government to realise that there is a huge underlying problem within that industry, that now it's finally being discussed.

I've mentioned it in other threads about the HGV crisis, so I'm not going to go over the same points here.

But I don't even know if it's worth discussing this matter here, but I've not seen it mentioned in other threads much so I'll mention it, if I'm in the wrong thread, then you could point me in the right direction lol. Anyway, my point, I do despair at the current British population who are clearly brainwashed by the media, and what has happened yesterday and have seen it with my own eyes, I was genuinely embarrassed at what people have really become. As soon as the media mentioned the words "Running on empty", "shortage of fuel", "running out", people flock like sheep to panic buy, without even reading into the whole context of what the problem is. The problem is within 2 establishments, BP and Esso, and it's not a shortage of fuel, it's a shortage of drivers, so stock will reach those forecourts but probably a few days later than normal. But people have read into it that fuel is going to disappear, and go out to fill cars, jerry cans, it's embarrassing. Common sense, has really gone out of the window with some people, and I do worry.

I pulled up to a Asda forecourt, and the que was out the door, it was onto the main road. Seriously. The problem is not with Asda, or Tesco or Morrisons, they are getting there fuel has normal, they aren't going to run out, but they have and will continue to do so, until the brain dead idiots who go out thinking there is going to be a massive crisis and fuel is going to become like gold dust because it can't be bought from anywhere, use common sense and actually think about what they are doing. It happened at the start of the pandemic with the absolute essentials, toilet paper etc, and now it's happening with the fuel when it's not actually fuel that's the problem, it's drivers. And I'm almost certain like it happened years ago, if there is a massive crisis and required desperate help, the army would step in again and help out, as they have more than enough HGV drivers capable of plugging the gap to get stocks back up.

8. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
  9. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    Absolute non starter, not only are the Armies HGV drivers not trained to the same standard as civilians, you also need an ADR licence to deliver fuel which I doubt many of them have.

10. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Also this tripe about issuing temporary visas to EU drivers so they can work over here for a bit? Why should they? I've heard countless drivers on the radio this past few days bemoaning the atrocious conditions for HGVs in the UK. Nowhere safe to park overnight, very few places where drivers can access decent food and showers, and treated like dirt when making deliveries, I'm not surprised so many are packing it in.

[​IMG]

11. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    Tesco’s and m&s have been ransacked for fuel near me . It’s ****ing infuriating . It makes you realise how many retards there are in this country .

portion of the blame has to go to the public . Their selfishness is exasperating the problem . There is no problem with the fuel , it’s the hgv drivers. It’s the start of the lockdown all over again .

Secondly our media and government carry blame too. When you lead headlines with “shortage of fuel “ without much context and tell people not to panic , you will get people panicking . Seriously , I’m some ****ing peasant who could see that happening, why can’t those higher up than me .

I eventually managed to find a rural petrol station and popped in 15 as running low, as I always do. There were arseholes making a scene with the poor cashier as they ran out of diesel , so I pretty much went to a few of them and called them selfish tossers. I’m not a person for confrontation , but I do see the red mist falling when I blatantly see people acting like ****s .You know some won’t be there because they are short of fuel. Had I not been able to get some fuel I seriously worry I wouldn’t have been able to attend uni this Monday .

12. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    They should just commission groups of youths to go steal fuel from people who panic buy.

13. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    Although all the above is true, the conditions haven’t got worse and they weren’t the reason 40/45k who were formerly working as HGV drivers here have left.
    As for the petrol shortage, although not 100% certain it has more to do with the pandemic than the lack of drivers other sectors are suffering from. Traditionally it is well paid with no long hours and no overnight stops. I don’t even think they’re allowed to stop in lay-bys and services unless in an emergency. All their runs are timed so that breaks can be taken a the point of delivery or at the depot they’re working from.

14. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    I managed to stick some in yesterday - got to my regular petrol station with the indicator telling me I had about 40 miles of fuel left. I had a quick glance at some other pumps while I was filling up and noticed sales values like £25.41 and £37.79 - we all know that anyone going to refuel in normal times wants to get to £**.00 (it's part of the fun of filling up) so it was clear that these people were simply just taking their tanks from 3 quarters full to full.

What really annoys me is seeing retired folk sticking £60 in and filling up jerry cans when all they will be doing with the car is driving to the local supermarket on Monday and then their local bowls club on Wednesday. That's £60 less fuel available that could probably fuel 3 essential workers for work next week!

And let's not forget that it is only months ago that they were told that they are no longer welcome in this country - that will hardly have slipped their mind and will undoubtedly happen again once the short term visa solution is no longer needed (until the next time). This isn't us kicking people out of this country because there is no work for them, it is us saying they are not welcome because of their nationality.

DonnyOsmond likes this.
  15. Frosty

Supports:
    Liverpool
    But the conditions haven't improved.

The pandemic has been a massive contributor with lots of lessons and tests cancelled.

It shouldn't have really taken a pandemic for them to realise how important the HGV are, and for conditions to looked at to improve on.

16. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
  17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I saw an ambulance driver tweeted that they were on shift and struggling to find places to get petrol since people are being arseholes and panic buying it to then park it up and go in the house to play in their loo roll fort.

18. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    Why is there a shortage of lorry drivers? The HGV crisis explained

According to this , we’re short of hgv drivers by 90,000. 12,500 were eu nationals , so it has had some impact .

the biggest nationality we’ve probably had from the eu is Poland . According to this , Poland is short of drivers by 123,000 so they have it even worse than us.

19. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    There were only 25K new HGV licences last year compared to the usual 70K due to the pandemic, and the DVLA has been on strike too. Media reports that drivers are waiting 2 months to have their existing licences renewed too, the whole thing's a shambles.

20. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
    The local Sainsbury’s near me was closed to anyone but emergency services and critical workers yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLC likes this.