1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Butterfly Effect

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Flip Duckling, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Post any personal or famous instances where a seemingly insignificant event led to something big happening.

A pretty famous case is Hitler, for which there are three events that could've saved millions of people from dying:

He was saved from drowning when he was a kid by a preist.

He failed his entry exam to Vienna's art acadmey. Twice.

He was spared by a British soldier in WW1 because he was injured.

2. AlissonWonderland

AlissonWonderland Slumdog Mignolet

Supports:
    Liverpool
    If I hadn't eaten that dodgy fry up this morning ar a service station in Gloucestershire I wouldn't be as close to shitting myself as I currenrly am.

3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    It’s quite a deep subject really when you think about it.

Like chance encounters with people. Had you not decided to pop into the shop or had you missed the train, your timeline would have been totally different and as a result your life could have been totally different.

Like not meeting your current partner for example, due to something seemingly insignificant like missing a train.

4. Flip Duckling

Flip Duckling Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Donald Trump is President because of how much a television network was paying Gwen Staffani.

5. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not that I really get the butterfly effect, but I assume it means something happening that wouldn’t have happened if not for a previous event happening?

I’m sure there is one about a Cuban boy getting in a boat that led to George Bush becoming president, if that boy had not got in the boat then Al Gore would have been president not Bush. I remember reading it vaguely.

It’s mad when such small decisions/events can have such big impacts on your life isn’t it.

Flip Duckling likes this.
  6. Leo

Leo Guest

Being dumped a few months before getting married many years ago. Turned out she was shagging a guy from her work. Glad it happened then as it would have been a nightmare going through separation & ultimately divorce. So all was good as it turned out.

Monkey likes this.
  7. johnnyT

johnnyT Banned

Supports:
    Everton
    sorry mate she was fit though

If a Nintendo was bought and delivered on time i reckon 20-30 odd people wouldn't be here on FF.

Weird.

8. ONEDUNME

ONEDUNME Registered User

Supports:
    None
    They should make a film about that. Maybe call it something like “sliding doors”

JimJams likes this.
  9. Leo

Leo Guest

:laugh:.....She was Johnny, she was.....not too hot for the kitchen shift though. Lucky escape.

SALTIRE and johnnyT like this.
  10. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Always blows my mind when I think deeply about these things. One tiny change in history and I’d bet the majority of people on this planet wouldn’t be here.

Just to think I/we beat 100s of million of other sperm cells to be here right now, play that scenario out 1 million other times and I probably never would have existed. ****ing mental

11. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Its something I tend to think about when letting people go at lights, or not letting people go. I wonder will they end up in a movie or will they be slightly early for their tesco collection. Serious bollocks.

Too many drugs will do this

12. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Must be a hard one to take for those who let people go in front of them when buying a lottery ticket and that person is a winner.

Or those people who made decisions that lead them to not be on a plane before it crashed or go into work on the day of 9/11 etc. They must feel like the luckiest people but must be quite haunting too thinking of the what if’s etc.

13. Leo

Leo Guest

Would really know though (unless you knew the person personally) ?

Me and my mate were at Ibrox Jan 2nd 1971....Celtic scored in 90th minute to go 0-1 in front. We made our way through the crowd and left by stairway 13 just after hearing the roar as Rangers equalised about a minute later then made our way down the steps. Missed being caught up in the fatal chaos by about 30 seconds or so. Never knew about it till I got home. That date every year is a very emotional day for me. There but for the grace of God.......

14. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Or had Einstein successfully travelled back in time to remove him from history.

15. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    You would know if you seen them in the paper or news etc, you’d surely recognise them.

I can’t imagine how you feel knowing you missed being caught up in it, must mess with your head a little?

I’m sure it’s @King_Kenny who knew someone or it was him himself that had a similar situation as in was meant to go to Hillsborough but didn’t.

Leo likes this.
  16. johnnyT

johnnyT Banned

Supports:
    Everton
    unreal that Leo fair play.

i was at Villa Park at the other semi that day, had 3 good mates at Hboro though luckily all got out safe........2 havent' been to a match since.

Leo likes this.
  17. StillHurts31

StillHurts31 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    My dad missed hillsborough due to the birth of my sister the week before, his best man handed the ticket to a mate instead and both passed away :no:.

18. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Very good to hear that they got out safe and to be honest I don’t know if I could’ve returned to a match had I witnessed that first hand, it certainly wouldn’t be easy.

19. miss_lfc

miss_lfc Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Oh :no: lucky for your dad but not for the other two. So sad and your dad must have found it hard to process.

StillHurts31 likes this.
  20. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Indeed.In November 1995 I visited a Stranglers gig in Hildesheim simply because it was on a Saturday. I met Ulrika and I'm still f##king well here. She isn't, moved to Hannover years back.

RM likes this.