1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Conservative Party - What a total mess?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by brewer, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Copacetic

Copacetic Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    I certainly agree with that. Once the referendum had been decided there wasn't really an option other than to support to the decision to leave.

I actually think the timing of the referendum benefited Labour. If the GE went ahead prior to that vote then Labour would have still maintained a formal pro-EU position and those Labour seats which voted leave would still have harboured that anti-globalist stance that led them towards UKIP and the right. The referendum result and Labour's commitment to carrying through the Brexit process removed a major bone of contention.

The next election is surely a key test. The Tories are looking tired and will have been in power one way or another for potentially 10 or so years. The natural boredom swing away from the incumbent has begun. If Corbyn can't win a majority then they obviously have to come back to the centre.

Adam likes this.
  2. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    As I say a lot of politics is timing. I think Ed Milliband would be in a great position now as leader because he was a centre-left Labour leader with fresh ideas and wanted to change the established way of governing here from the post-Thatcher consensus. Every speech May has had they've lifted loads of his manifesto and ideas (although it's empty rhetoric with them.

The problem with 'centrism' is when the reality of it just means more of the same (which New Labour was). It's a discredited, failed consensus.

Also, surely the country voting to leave the EU is a very bad legacy for New Labour and Blair's globalism. Yes, Labour won a 3rd term in 2005 but it was a heavily reduced majority against a Tory party led by the hapless Michael Howard. The Tory party in 1997 and 2001 was at its lowest ebb and Labour had an open goal at that time.

brewer likes this.
  3. Chrysalis

Chrysalis deleted

Supports:
    Leicester City
    agreed pretty much, as I said if the tories came up with a set of proposals I would read them and consider them seriously. Regardless if they right wing or centre.

4. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    mays cabinet.png

And people say Labour are a shambles :laugh:

Chrysalis and brewer like this.
  5. Hooped

Hooped Registered User

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    How are Boris, Leadsom and Patel still in the cabinet? I mean seriously? These are all clearly incompetent, hugely unpopular with the electorate and just in general extremely low grade nasty human beings.

Although I suppose Abbott and McDonnell could also pretty much fit in that category as well, apart from McDonnell who I think is scarily quite competent at coming across as very moderate on television.

6. Never Alone

Never Alone A Dull but Constant Drone

Supports:
    No
    That's what happens when you go about a referendum and Brexit the way we did.

Very few people voted to leave the EU in order to elevate the careers of the likes of Boris, Fox, Leadsom, et al. That's just been the unfortunate consequence of an historically bad decision from a portion of the people of the U.K..

7. brewer

brewer Registered

Supports:
    Liverpool, Queen of the South
    Boris, Leadsom & Patel have to stay in the Cabinet because if they are confined to the back benches in disgrace they will plot Teresa's downfall, so she is covering her ample arse by keeping them where she can keep her eye on them..

It is like incompetent buffoons trying to interpret Machiavelli, nothing is ever done for the good of the country or the people every action is intended only for self engrossment

Chrysalis and King_Kenny like this.
  8. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Like Gove last year who tried to be too clever with the leadership bid. They think it's all an episode of Game of Thrones and one big joke.

It's all about power and money, nothing else. A bunch of born-to-rule elitists who want the top jobs so they can grease more palms to aid their retirement fund. That's basically what privatisation has always been about too, the more they can sell off of the NHS the more money they can make.

Cameron has plunged the country into chaos just to win the 2015 election after running scared of UKIP and their one MP. He resigns as one of the country's worst ever Prime Minister's and he's free to go and make his millions like his mentor Blair.

brewer, Chrysalis and King_Kenny like this.
  9. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    How the Hell has bonehead Johnson stayed in post today? I've just seen him lie in the House about his comments regarding Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe's reason to be in Iran, claiming he was sorry if "any words of mine have been taken out of context or misconstrued". He actually told the Commons Foreign Affairs Select Committee on 1 November: "When I look at what Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was doing, she was simply teaching people journalism as I understand it."

People's lives and futures depend on this clown but he can't be arsed doing his homework before opening his stupid gob in front of cameras - since he clearly doesn't have the balls or integrity to resign he should be sacked. Now.

brewer and King_Kenny like this.
  10. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    He's the most detestable man in politics in this country. I used to sit here and shake my head in disbelief when many (and yes many of the regulars on this very forum) used to champion him as being clever, bright, humourous and a potential great prime minister. The man is a gormless buffoon, always has been always will be. One snide ****er he is, the epitome of a self serving tory.

They truly knock me sick mate. How anyone, absolutely anyone thats not a multi millionaire can be so naive to vote for this collection of scumbags and think they're in it for them.

If there were a GE this week, Labour would walk it by a landslide.

#130 King_Kenny, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    brewer likes this.
  11. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    He's such a good laugh though isn't he? :rolleyes

He's always been a lazy buffoon and managed to get ahead by playing on it and people lap it up.

I've always found him a nasty piece of work rather than a comedian masquerading as a politician.

At least Eddie Mair is one interviewer who'll put him in his place and sees through his shit.

King_Kenny likes this.
  12. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Indeed, I've never bought the loveable rogue tag many have given him. He's a smug pompous buffoon who has conned his way to the top.

13. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Not really keeping an eye on Patel who just wanders around doing what she wants then bats her eyes at Tory big wigs, who all cream their pants and say run along now my lovely. The only reason she keeps them by her side is so as to detract from how utterly hopeless May really is, if people are slating another Boris gaffe or some other front bench moron it gives her breathing space.

brewer likes this.
  14. cumberland SHD

cumberland SHD Registered User

Supports:
    Carlisle United
    Conservative party = The nasty party

15. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Cut their knobs off!

cumberland SHD and Adam like this.
  16. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Lib Dem for life!

17. brewer

brewer Registered

Supports:
    Liverpool, Queen of the South
    Tonight the Prime Minister Teresa May & half her cabinet (& anyone who is anyone in the Conservative party) will be attending the "celebrations" of the repulsive Paul Dacre's 25 years as editor of the disgusting Daily Mail. A non-dom non tax paying oligarch who is obviously the "kingmaker" within the party & obviously the policy provider for them in this our United Kingdoms democracy.

18. mapperleyred

mapperleyred Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    You got an invite?

19. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    "Obviously" kingmaker and policy provider :laugh:

20. ritchie_50

Supports:
    Liverpool
    The pathetic figure of May desperate for dirty Dacre to go easy on her in his coverage.