1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentaries thread

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by saddler_andy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
  2. Rich_Le_John

Rich_Le_John In exile

Supports:
    Manchester United, Team Le_John oh and Liverpool
  3. Wolves n Proud

Wolves n Proud Registered User

Supports:
    Wolves
    Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State.

Obviously we all know about the horrors of the concentration camps but watching and listening to exactly what happened and in some cases from victims first hand tales was incredible and really brought things home. Listening to SS officers denying responsibility for wrong doing stating they were "following orders" was particularly tough, as was listening to what governments like France did, bombing Jews out on trains into Germany and Auschwitz. Tough watch but I think essential viewing. Never forget.

4. Milk

Milk Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United
    [video=youtube;aC0ppODA9eQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0ppODA9eQ[/video]

5. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Once I Was a Champion (2011)

I'm not really up on MMA, but this documentary is about Evan Tanner, a former champion. It's a familiar tale in many ways with a life wrecked by alcohol and mental issues. It plays out with many testimonials, and comes across as a big farewell where everyone gets together to say their goodbyes to a guy who apparently could be the nicest guys around at the time.

He died by going for a walk in the desert. Without water. I think it was something to do with Hermann Hesse.

Probably worth it for MMA fans - although there is virtually no fight footage in the film. This is a talking heads piece.

6. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I watched a good one on Yesterday last night called The Last Day Of WW1. Shocking to see American officers forcing the men to go over the top so close to 11 AM.I know it was a repeat and made in 2008 but it was still harrowing to learn the details of mens deaths when they had so nearly got through the conflict.

7. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Trevor McDonald - Inside Death Row.

Have seen the two part series before ( think it was about 12 months ago ) but it did make very interesting watching.

How anyone can slit the throat of a woman and her four year old I will never understand why.

8. m.oneillAVFC

m.oneillAVFC Registered

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I just can't watch stuff like that .I have no interest in these animals.I would deny them the oxygen of publicity if I had my way.A bit of a throw the key away chap if I'm honest.

9. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool

Genuinely fascinates me of life in a prison. I certainly do not want first hand experience I can assure you.:laugh:

Some of the men are doing 50-100 years and 50-100 really does mean that time to be served.

10. Osgood

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Thanks for that, I'm going to give it a watch. I'm anti-death penalty, but can certainly see that some people are beyond redemption and should never get out of prison.

Gasland Part 2 (2013)

Depending on your point of view this is either an exposé, or a propoganda campaign against fracking. I know which side of the fence I'm on. Given what has happened with fracking in the US, it beggars belief we're doing it......

Just finished watching this. I also thought it was interesting, though not surprising. It's a straight portrayal of life behind bars for these guys, without sentiment or bias, imo. There really are no answers, solutions, or resolutions. Anyone who thinks these guys get it easy might be surprised. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather be put to death than sitting in a small cell, alone for 23 hours a day, for decade upon decade........ Thanks for bringing this one up.

#30 Osgood, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  11. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Kids Behind Bars - A 17 year old lad doing 65 years for murder. No doing what normal chaps his age do for the rest of his natural life.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Who's fault is that? Don't tell me you felt sorry for him?

13. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Absolutely not fella. The victim does not have the chance to do things normal every day things. Was just thinking what a life he has got to look forward to. We all have a choice as to whether or not we want to be good or bad people. I don't buy this crap that a child should not be tried as an adult especially when it comes to killing someone.

14. Osgood

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Have you seen the documentary? If not, aren't you jumping to conclusions?

15. Thomas WBA

Thomas WBA Boing! Boing!

Reminds me of a documentary I watched about this girl she was 16 at the time Cyntoia Brown.
    She was prostituted out at 13 by her 'boyfriend' who was in fact a pimp he was in his mid twenties, used her so he could pay for his drug habit.

She killed a 43 year-old Real Estate Agent who picked her up at a fast food car park in America. She was there crying as her pimp and just badly beaten her. I think she said he offered her a lift to his home and she ended up at his house she said he said he would take care of her for a few days. Others had the opinion that it was a sexual transaction gone wrong between a 16-year-old girl who was desperate for money and scared.

She claims he came onto her and went about raping her after she refused to sleep with him. He got violent and so she picked up his gun and shot him out of desperation.
    The guy died and was found in his bed, naked and shot in the back of the head and 16 year old Brown was tried as an adult, convicted and is now facing life in prison.

The whole thing made me think it was messed up and I really felt for the girl. Yes she shot him and killed him but who knows what happened. And what she has had to put up with for the last few years of her life. In that moment she wanted him to stop and the gun was there.

16. Wolves n Proud

Supports:
    Wolves
    Sounds intense but therein lies the problem. Prostitutes are seldom seen as victims by society, their word is worthless and until that changes the law will always be lopsided against them.

17. Osgood

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Nice post. Far too many people simply can't get their head around extenuating circumstances, that it's only by trying to understand people are why they do what they do, that a truth can be arrived at. Just locking people up is the easy solution, but it's not always the best for society. In the case you mention the most guilty (the pimp) is off scott free because he wasn't at the murder/death.

18. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Weirdly fascinating.

19. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Seems a nicer bloke now than when he a MP and he's quite watchable while learning about local history wherever he goes.

20. Wolves n Proud

Supports:
    Wolves
    Just finished a Dispatches piece on Supermarkets and the labour who supply the supermarkets with their fruit/fresh produce and their working conditions.

Bernard Matthews had on their recruitment page that there were no current vacancies told in foreign languages how to apply. It was then revealed that these staff were treated at best with contempt with no regard for their well being. Proper eye opener.