1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentaries thread

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by saddler_andy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Crespo

Crespo Registered User

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Nature documentaries for me mainly - I know some of the BBC stuff is said to have been done using sets but I still find it intriguing

Currently own:

Life
    Planet Earth
    Africa
    Blue Planet
    Under The Sea 3D,
    Life In Cold Blood
    March Of The Penguins
    Life In The Undergrowth

Want to see:

Grizzly Man
    Chimpanzee
    Kingdom of Plants
    First Life
    The Cove

Will try hunt some down in CEX I think

As I own several reptiles I love any documentaries about the, occasionally find some stuff on National Geographic

2. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Think the programme was called Angry Planet, described how earthquakes happen. Was very interesting and informative showing us how mighty Mother Nature is when she gets angry.

3. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I like nature documentaries, but I don't like watching animals kill other animals. I kow it's nature and all, the way of things, but I've turned off more than one because of some death scene. :D

4. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Aw ya wuss....... joking bud.

I know the killing can seem cruel but if the lion does not kill the zebra then her cubs go hungry.

There was a scene a few months back in a docu when a baby elephant collapsed from exhaustion after trekking for days in search of food and water and the mum was nudging her to get up but to no avail. The calf died in the early hours and the next morning mum was still standing over the dead body as she did not want her to become a meal for the lions that were waiting around. In the end she gave up and left, oh boy that was a sad scene. Was a real bottom lip wobbles moment.

5. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    That's exactly why i don't watch them,seeing animals being ripped apart is not entertainment. :(

6. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Hey mate, when it comes to the things you describe, I most definitely AM a wus. :D

I just can't watch it. I do realize that lions don't live in a semi-detached next door to a Lion Tesco, but it's all too much for me to watch death of any kind. :shrug

7. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Crocodiles are the ultimate killing machine. Don't watch any programmes with them in it as they don't miss out on lunch very often.

8. Saddlerrad

Saddlerrad Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Didn't think I'd see the day that I found other gold rush fans?! Brillant series. Is Todd Hoffman legitimately the worst boss on TV? The guy had the fortitude to stick his life savings into it, but seriously going to Guyana was a very stupid and costly move. Love the relationship Parker and his Grandad have, it makes good TV. Dave is a great addition to that group, as is Freddie Dodge. Wasn't keen on Fred at first, but he and Dustin work hard and they made the Hoffmans effort at the glory hole look sheepish. There's a 2 hour programme hosted by Parker next week on the topic of Gold Rush, may download it.

Also a sucker for Air Craft Investigation, the intrigue always gets me. Moonshiners is also a fairly entertaining show.

9. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    If you love stuff about sharks then tune into National GioWild next week for over 12 hours every day about them.

#49 Taffy, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  10. GDP

GDP Palace

Manhunt: The search for Bin Laden

Watched this a couple of days ago, a very interesting and detailed documentry focusing on a group of female CIA analysts and the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. If you've seen and enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty then this is an excellent back up programme that sorts the facts from the fiction.

11. saddler_andy

saddler_andy Jurassic Park

Supports:
    Walsall
    Well Gold Rush has finished for another year. Quite sad really, made even more sad by the fact Dakota Fred wont be in season 5! I think Dave Turin would make an absolute pile of money if he went on his own, I follow Todd on twitter and it appears they have gone back to the Yukon.

I am still infacuated by Ed Stafford, Naked and standed for 60 days - pretty good viewing.

#51 saddler_andy, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  12. GDP

GDP Palace

Dinosaur 13

In 1990 a group of paleontologists discovered the most complete remains of a T-Rex ever found. This is the story of how the excitement unfolded and then the troubles that followed it.

Very interesting and quite moving at times. Well worth a watch.

13. Saddlerrad

Supports:
    Walsall

Do you watch it in UK time? I tend to download it or watch it online when it's aired in American - which Ironically, the first episode is in mid October. Todd risked his entire future looking for a gold mine in a part of the world he had no real background on, didn't have the proper team, the proper equipment or proper mindset for. It really was a stupid risk especially when you consider Freddie Dodge had already found him gold filled ground in the north that Todd turned down and Freddie mined himself and found palm sized nuggets! Frustrating that Dustin/Fred couldn't agree a new deal with Discovery as I was really looking forward to seeing how Dustin was going to attack that waterfall, that really would have been quite a feat of engineering. There has been quite a few changes for the next series, I will link in the trailor below this post.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/g...k.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=GoldRush

14. saddler_andy

saddler_andy Jurassic Park

Supports:
    Walsall
    Yeah I have been watching it on Discovery UK. I may be doing the same as you, when it begins in Oct.

I agree TH tried Alaskan mining in Guyana which was never going to work. Was it a case that they couldn't agree a deal? That is sad, because I bloody love that pair.

I often think Discovery try to make Parker out to be an evil person, which is not true. I have a lot of respect for that lad.

15. Saddlerrad

Supports:
    Walsall
    Fred and Dustin wanted more money according to an article that I read, but Discovery said no thanks and cut them from the show. I also liked them and was really looking forward to Dustin trying to mine that waterfall, would have been some epic mining had it all come together. I did read that Fred/Dustin might be putting their own show together and sticking it on youtube, if it is - then I will be watching that. I think because Parker is young and quite fiery/inexperienced at times he comes across as a little bit in your face and demanding, that's a good thing because eventually his crew will get what they need doing - done. I like him, he and Grandpa John are one of the best things about the show, I hope he sticks around for a few more years despite his cancer!

16. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    9/11 : The Falling Man.

Photographs were captured of a man falling from one of the Twin Towers on that fateful day, was a case of either be burnt alive or jump. The poor bastard had no chance.

17. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I saw that a couple of years ago and it was hard to watch.The footage of others jumping while holding hands was heartbreaking.

18. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    I started watching it yesterday and resumed this morning and it sent a shiver down the spine watching people falling to their deaths. Even in real time it took ages for each person to hit the ground ( thankfully we never got to see that bit ) which gives you an idea of how tall them buildings were. Is one thing jumping from a great height when you want to die but these poor sods were actually in a strange way trying to give themselves a chance as though dropping many hundreds of feet would just result in a broken leg. The planes crashing into the towers and the skyscrapers coming down will always be at the forefront of peoples memories but seeing them men and women fall to their deaths is just as shocking.

19. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    #59 BeeLz, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  20. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I saw one programme that shocked me,it was an interview with a fireman at the scene and in the background you could hear those people jumping landing on the roads or cars but thankfully the cameraman stayed with the fireman,that's what will stay with me every time this subject is mentioned every year. :cry: