1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentaries thread

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by saddler_andy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Shane

Shane Registered

Supports:
    Southampton FC
    The short game.

It's about 7/8 year old world championship golfers. Anna kornikova's little brother is in it. Really good insight to what it takes from a young age to become a professional golfer. You need money to start, a lot of money!!

2. GDP

GDP Palace

Hubble

Leonardo DiCaprio narrates a cracking documentry on the repairs and upgrades to the Hubble telescope. Very enjoyable, only downside is it's only on for 40 odd minutes.

Restrepo

A journalist following American soldiers on their tour of Afghanistan, focusing mainly in the Korengal Valley and the camp they set up in the name of one of their fallen comrades. Very interesting and obviously very sad at times.

3. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Fed Up (2014)

I thought this was an excellent documentary about obesity. It tackles many points - but the highlights are that the ultimate evil is sugar, and sweetners. It also shows that the myth that obesity is all about less calories in and more calories out is complete nonsense - as it states "A calorie is not a calorie". In other words, one calorie of Coca Cola and on calorie of say, an apple, is not equal. The body processes the calories differently, although but contain sugar, they're not equally nad for you.

Other highlights include the usual lobbying scandals, and how reports from organizations like the World Health organization are manipulated, and flat out changed, by interest groups to the detriment of the populace. It's a US based doc, so it covers problems at schools there (a problem created by Reagan when he was making cuts, which allowed the likes of MacDonald's to take over school meals). One final highlight covered the dangerous places fat collects. So for example, belly fat (beer belly) is the worst to have, and is the highest indicator of serious health problems in the future. 10% of your body fat in this area is a good number. Obviously heavily obese people can have upwards of 40% body fat in this area. However, the documentary does body scans of a three children, one obviously obese, and two thin kids. The obese kid was at around 40%, and the first of the thin kids was around 10%. However the second thin kid had 20% fat in his belly - in many ways he was as susceptible to the same health issues are the obese child. They estimate that a third of thin people are in fact in trouble, because they would have too much fat stored in the wrong place - ie. wrapped around organs in the belly.

All in all a great watch. 10/10

A Hornet's Nest (2014)

Two journalists follow soldiers on the front line in Afghanistan. It's kind of a "found footage" movie, but real. Interesting, but it works as a character study rather than having any analysis of the war there. 7/10

4. GDP

GDP Palace

Yeah I saw this recently Os, thought it was very interesting. One of the things I felt let it down a little bit, and I might be a million miles off here, was when the main journalist Mike Boettcher was reviewing the footage I just thought it felt a little bit too rehearsed. But well worth seeing if you're interested in the war in Afghanistan.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

A Werner Herzog documentry detailing the discovery in 1994 of cave paintings in France that were found almost perfectly preserved, with some dating as far back as 32,000 years ago.

Fascinating stuff.

5. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    In Search of the Trojan War - 9/10

[video=youtube;CkbUQKyie_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkbUQKyie_w[/video]

Found this gem from the mid-80's on Youtube, a 6-part series on the Trojan War and seeing whether or not there was any truth to it. Brilliant and fascinating, I learned so much about the Iliad, Ancient Greece and the history of attempts to find the truth of the Trojan War.

6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Watched a doc about a family of elephants in the Zambezi. They use a well worn path that just so happens to run through a hotel lobby and unbelievably they saunter through with not a care in the world. One of them walks through a narrow entrance and had a gander around the gift shop yet remarkably did not knock anything over. The elephants were not aggressive towards anyone though of course everyone did keep their distance especially with a baby in tow. Magnificent creatures.

7. Saddlerrad

Saddlerrad Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    Gold Rush Season 5 started in the US last night with a 2 hour opening special. Downloaded it and will probably get stuck into it after the FL Show.

8. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    You consider that to be a documentary?

9. Saddlerrad

Saddlerrad Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall
    This is the only thread it's been covered in and, it's on the discovery channel so it kind of makes most sense to stick it in here.

10. samwilzrhcp

samwilzrhcp Registered User

Supports:
    Barnsley
    A few of my favourites:

The Crash Reel - About snowboarder Kevin Pearce who landed on his head whilst practicing for the winter Olympics, heartbreaking stuff!
    West of Memphis - About the murders at Robin Hood Hills.
    Sound City - Interesting doc about the infamous Sound City studios where classic albums such as Nevermind were recorded.

11. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Watching " Wonders Of The Universe " at this very moment on Eden. Brian Cox presents the show. Love Cox as he simplifies the shows for us mere simpletons and does not bamboozle us with scientific babble that would lose me within seconds.

12. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Ancient Black Ops. The Beserkers.

Really enjoyed this about Norsemen taking magic mushrooms before going into battle, they wer tough buggers who carried on even when wounded. I missed the first 2 episodes but have caught the last 2, i will alqways watch a documentary about ancient history as it's my favourite subject.

13. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Andrew Marr - History of the World

Jeremy Paxman - Empire and The Great War

Both awesome.

14. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Wild Congo - Large parts of the country still covered in jungle. Always had a fascination with the Congo as there is a mystery about the place.

15. saddler_andy

saddler_andy Jurassic Park

Supports:
    Walsall
    Its a docu-soap, now I know its back on I need to get it!!

16. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Both really good though Andrew Marrs was history of the world, Simon Scharma was history of Britain if remember rightly, whicgh was also a great series

Id also add frozen plaent

#76 Jonny Ninja, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  17. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    On Tender Hooks (2013)

This is a documentary on people who like to have hooks pushed through their flesh so they can be suspended in ever more complex ways. It's more a fly-on-the-wall type deal, and to be honest I didn't feel as though I'd learned anything by the end. The hooks are fishing hooks from trawlers, with the barb taken off - which made me laugh.

The thing about something like this is that soon just being hung by the flesh on your back soon isn't enough for the participants, there's a clear acceleration going on. For example, at first people were just hanging by their flesh. Then they're hanging by the flesh while swinging wildly back and forth. Later they're literally making bungy jumps with only their hooks to keep them tethered (yes, off bridges that are VERY high).

Anyway, the people doing it seemed to think it was all worthwhile. :whistle

18. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    The Sixties Long March To Freedom.

A 2 hour doc about racial segregation in 1960's America. The famous " I Have A Dream " speech by Luther King gets a mention. Was shocking hearing a group of white lads shouting out " n*g*er " to the only black lad at a university in Alabama.

19. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Teenage Tommies.

Watched this on BBC 2 last night about the thousands of young boys who signed up to fight even though they were underage. The recruitment officers were paid by the amount of people they signed up so didn't care how old they were but you could tell by their photos they should have been at school.Harrowing and poignant and very well researched. We will remember them.

20. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool

When daughter was in the villages primary school they had a plaque on a classroom wall naming local lads who had gone off to fight in WW1. The ages of these boys and I do mean boys was what stood out, 15 and 16 year olds went off to never return. It appears that many lied about their ages so that they could do their bit for King and country. Is incredible that you had someone still in school that was prepared to die.