1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentaries thread

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by saddler_andy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Watch it on iplayer if you get the time Taffy. The programme had the young lads letters home being read out and god knows how they even contained humour. It featured several boys stories and showed what they went through telling you what happened to them after the war finished, one of the best doc's i've seen this year.

2. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Manny (2013)

Documentary about the great boxer. It's good. The only downside is that it glosses over his indiscretions. But hey - this is as much promotional material as anything else. It does provide a nice peek behind the curtains, and what drives the man. His childhood was tough - when you think what he's achieved.

Recommended.

3. mattohope

mattohope Registered User

Supports:
    Celtic, Carlisle United, Scotland
    Been getting stuck in to some of Louis Theroux's work recently. I'd say my favourite so far would be his Michael Jackson one, very interesting.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight NOT MY F-CKING TEMPO

Supports:
    Arsenal, Syncopy, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures & Legendary Pictures
    Watched Citizenfour last night, a superb and gripping documentary almost played out like a thriller about Edward Snowden.

5. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Monster Crocodiles. Have always been fascinated by crocodiles in Africa and Australia and by Lord these are huge mammas. Love the way they can be unnoticed in just a few inches of water and can hurl themselves out towards its victim in less than a second. One of these beasts grabs you and it really is game over.

6. Gatti

Gatti Banned

Supports:
    Burnley
    Have you seen the KKK one yet

7. Rambo1

Rambo1 Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    This sounds good.

Where did you watch it?

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight NOT MY F-CKING TEMPO

Supports:
    Arsenal, Syncopy, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures & Legendary Pictures
    At the cinema.

9. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Night Will Fall [2014]

Sobering, often harrowing and heartbreaking previously unbroadcast footage filmed during the discovery and liberation of the German extermination/labour camps in 1945. Sidney Bernstein and Alfred Hitchcock were commissioned to produce a definitive documentary, bringing together all the newsreel and army coverage made as the full horror of the holocaust unfolded. Unfortunately politics of the ensuing Cold War meant the film was shelved and has only now been restored and seen the light of day. Broadcast without commercial breaks on C4, and credit to them for that.

10. Winter Soldier

Supports:
    England
    I really struggled to watch this, it was very graphic, very raw. It didn't beat around the bush, giving you as much of a glimpse into hell as they could. None of us will ever experience such horrors, some of us will have heard the stories, but all too often, they feel just that, stories. This documentary, puts some harrowing images into our minds, gives us something strong to ponder.

Humanity can be vile.

11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Agreed. We've all seen reconstructions of the German civilians being bussed into Belsen and Dachau from surrounding towns to see what had been done in their name, but that's the first time I'd seen it on film taken at the time. Even having watched this documentary it's difficult to come to terms with the sheer scale of the atrocities.

12. Winter Soldier

Supports:
    England
    I felt I was forcing myself to watch it at times, just seemed like it was owed.

13. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Some horrific footage and can seed why a lot of it wasn't shown at the time. I can never get used to the inhumanity shown by the Germans to these people who had done nothing wrong and i'll admit to getting teary eyed yet again. The best thing channel 4 has aired since it began i reckon.

14. GDP

GDP Palace

Night Will Fall

I echo the sentiments from above. This film is extremely difficult to watch, it shows the very worst of what humans are capable of and will leave you with some horrifying images and feelings of despair.

There's not really much you can add to this, it's never going to be a programme that i'd recommend watching, in fact I sort of wish i'd never seen it myself to be honest. But if you want to see the realities of the 2nd World war and the Holocaust then this will do it.

There was a quote during the documentry that I found very poignant, it was basically 'For a period during the war the Allied forces didn't really know what they were fighting for, but by the end of it they sure knew what they were fighting against..'

15. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Mitt (2014) - 8.5/10

Really interesting insights into Mitt Romney. Behind the scenes of his nomination campaign in 2008 and presidential campaign in 2012.

It's fascinating to get a more human perspective of a major politician rather than what we see in debates etc.

16. Goldendixie

Goldendixie Registered User

Supports:
    Shamrock Rovers, Liverpool, Ireland.
    Shoah Part 1 7/10

A pain staking first hour but after that it picks up. Especially when they interviewed former SS men in secret.
    A long watch too, over 4 and a half hours.

17. GDP

GDP Palace

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

The 'fight' to become the highest ever Donkey Kong scorer of all time. It's geek overload and they take this sort of thing extremely seriously. Really good doc if you're looking for something of the light hearted kind.

18. GDP

GDP Palace

Blackfish

A documentary focusing on the captivity of killer whales at Seaworld Florida, the way they are treated and the death of one of their trainers during a live show. A terrible way to treat an extremely intelligent mammal, very sad at times but well worth seeing.

19. Mani

Mani ¡Leeds Carajo!

Supports:
    Leeds United
    Enjoyed this a lot! Some odd people within that group of gamers!

20. GDP

GDP Palace

:D

'Odd' is being extremely generous to some of them, some absolute crackpots! Especially that bearded fella Billy Mitchell and some of his minions. But yeah it was really enjoyable.