1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Documentaries thread

Discussion in 'TV & Film' started by saddler_andy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. GDP

GDP Palace

Deep Water

Focuses on the first round the world yacht race in 1968 and mainly on one of the competitors Donald Crowhurst. Crowhurst was not much more than an amateur sailor who basically borrowed a lot of money to buy a boat with his house used as collateral, not really grasping what he was letting himself in for.

An excellent and moving documentary.

2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I'm sure some people on here would be interested in watching Jack to a King (2014), a documentary on our recent rise which is currently available to watch on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLUfIxCRX6Y

3. Mani

Mani ¡Leeds Carajo!

Supports:
    Leeds United
    Really good documentary that. The Vetch looked like a tough place to go!

Mad to think it didn't just stop at promotion to the premier league with the league cup win in 2013

#103 Mani, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  4. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Yeh, since promotion we've really come on leaps and bounds and exceeded all expectations again. From the point of the end of the documentary, we were heavy favourites for relegation. Since then we've established ourselves in the Premier League, won the League and got to the knock out stages of a European competition. It's a good documentary in showing where we've come from, whilst we're still having the success we're having now.

5. GDP

GDP Palace

Excellent documentary Cotts! :thumb

6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Joy Division BBC4

Loads of unseen archive footage of the seminal band and their gigs, from their beginning to the suicide of Ian Curtis that meant the end. Interviews from all surviving band members and their management at the time, as well as contributions from the late, great Tony Wilson and John Peel. Fascinating.

7. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Holocaust : Night Will Fall.

The horrors of the concentration camps are revealed when the Allies liberated the death prisons. This really is not for the faint hearted I can tell you, seeing corpses in their thousands many of them naked all over a field is tough to watch, the dead with all of them incredibly underweight due to starvation being carried away over the shoulders of British soldiers is horrible to watch. It is actual film of the event and not just photographs. Some of the actual survivors and soldiers in the footage tell stories in their own words and not read off a script. It really was not nice to watch but had to be done.

Them men must still have nightmares about having to deal with what they found. Really is gruesome.

8. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Colosseum - Arena Of Death.

Drama documentary about a gladiator who won his freedom granted by Emporer Titus. It was Titus's father Vespasian who built the Colosseum starting in 60 AD but died just before it was completed in 80 AD Thgis was very good and The Romans are my favourite topic in ancient history and we need more programmes like this on tv.

9. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Going Clear Scientology and the Prison of Belief (2015)

Yah probably don't need a documentary to know that the Scientologists are bit "special". This documentary does a good job exposing how and why it is structured as it is, right from the roots pre-dianetics to the modern day. Most of the speakers are ex-scientologists, often high-ranking members at one time or another. From revelations about the Scientologist plans to scupper the marriage of Tom Cruise to Nicole Kidman, through harassment techniques to ex-members, to further abuse of believers by paying "40c per hour", it's all a bi8g laughable in many ways.

Perhaps the most bizarre is their method of getting tax-free status as a religion, which involved a systematic campaign against the IRS in the US.

Very good documentary, imo. 9/10

10. C94z

C94z Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    good documentary about the Normans on BBC4 tonight at 9

11. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    I saw that and thought i'd watch it then i thought i'd seen this on BBC 4 recently so must be a repeat, hope not as it's a subject that interests me. I'll check it out on iplayer tomorrow as it's Italy v England tonight.

12. C94z

C94z Registered User

Supports:
    Hibernian
    It's a 3 part documentary :) the 2nd part is on tonight

13. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    I enjoyed the C4 docs about Richard III - 'The King In The Car Park" where they discovered his body, and the follow-up where they took a kid with the same spine condition to see how he'd perform with specially-made armour & saddle (very well actually - what did him was lack of stamina due to his lungs being restricted).

The moment when they revealed the twisted spine was fantastic TV.

14. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Think i saw this about 4 months ago, wouldn't surprise will all the repeats on the other BBC channels.

15. Andrew

Andrew Broken leg stuff

Supports:
    Brighton
    Next Goal Wins - 10/10

Documentary about the American Samoa football team, who had never won a game in their entire history and sat dead last in the FIFA world rankings before Thomas Rongen came into town (an established coach in the US) and inspired them to their first ever victory in the 2014 world cup qualification tournament, brilliant watch!

16. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    Will get that up on Sky Demand and give it a watch. Cheers for the tip bud.

17. Osgood

Osgood American/Plazzy fan type

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Stacey Doolley Investigates: Meth and Madness in Mexico.

I'm not sure who Doolley actually is, and what her credentials are. This documentary was sadly quite poor, rehashing the same old facts and stories, and visiting the same old sites you've likely seen in other documentaries on the subject. Still, if this is your first look into the drug culture in Mexico it's a decent little introduction to the challenges there. Runs a little under the hour.

18. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Stacey Dooley documentaries are actually atrocious. The kind of programs that seem to exclusively play at 3-4am on BBC3.

She'd get it though so it's all good.

19. David

David Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Saw the HBO documentary series on Bob Durst. Fascinating stuff.

20. WARP

WARP Brassic

Supports:
    BHA FC
    When We Were Kings [1996] - 10/10

Story of Ali v Foreman Zire 1974

One of the best docs ever made & never tire of seeing it