1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I'm hoping that's true. From my own unscientific anecdotal experience, I'm starting to see more fully vaccinated people including by Pfizer catch it and start to get symptoms. My best mate has had it these last 2 weeks and although he felt perfectly fine, he has lost his sense of smell which from the experience of others doesn't come back quickly, if at all. And someone he knows from his work in his early 40s, fit and a regular gym user who is fully vaccinated is really bad with it right now. Not going to hospital or anything but flooding his bed sheets with sweat and the most ill he's ever been.

I'm fully pro vaccine and fully understand that they don't prevent infection and stop symptoms only reduce the chance of getting it and hopefully reduce the effect of the virus if you do get infected. But I'm starting to see this more often and was beginning to wonder if a more vaccine resistant strain was emerging which is thus far under the radar.

2. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
  3. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Been at a neurology conference today and a good two hour portion was related to the effects covid has on the brain.

It’s really quite interesting and some paediatric case studies were actually quite frightening with the neurological effect covid had on perfectly healthy children

4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Very encouraging, though the next question is of course "how long until another booster is required?".

5. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Annoyingly I am due for a booster in early March and I have to travel to the US in mid-March.

My fear is that they'll make a booster a requirement but also the timing won't give me enough time after the jab for it to be considered effective.

Hoping the worst case is I have to take an extra test or some shit. Not a quarantine or an outright denial.

6. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Just been pinged for the first time ever, I was in contact with someone who's since tested positive on the 16th, which was the day I attended hospital for an outpatient appointment. Have to traipse to a drive-through testing centre at 11am tomorrow for a PCR test. :(

Super_horns likes this.
  7. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I was a close contact of someone who had a positive antigen test a few days ago, they're still waiting on PCR results. I did a home antigen test earlier, out of curiosity and as I'm meeting other people tomorrow, and it was negative. It was the first test I've done in this pandemic and doing the nasal swab was lots of fun.

8. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Some of the rules have been bonkers - one exercise period a day & people who had back gardens in different COVID-level zones throwing parties and being completely fine to do so, despite their front room being in a heightened zone. Some of the suggestions have been utterly ludicrous - "take it on the chin" or wash your hands whilst dementedly singing god save the queen.

I think the government finally got the rules right during the beginning of summer, but they very quickly abandoned them in favour of opening back up straight away, leading to spikes during the Euros. The fact masks aren't mandatory in public settings and people have gone back to thinking life is normal again I think will probably tear us a new arsehole coming into the winter.

9. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United

Lockdown to save the vaccine.

Congratulations to everyone that wore masks, got pumped full of a not fully tested vaccine and now end up in the same exact place as March 2020. You all are truly the smart ones here. Now go get your 3rd booster.

What will happen if an actual pandemic hits?

You know. One that is actually dangerous to people, and not just the 80+ crowd.

Apparently we live in liberal democracies, how is this liberty? Who voted for this nonsense?

What was that quote? Something about doing things over and over again idk maybe things will change this time, probs not.

#20749 RedDevilsShinja, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  10. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    austria has one of the worst vaccine uptakes in Western Europe . You’ve omitted the bit about all the places entering lockdown having poor vaccine uptake . Lithuania and Russia being other examples. If everyone took your advice and didn’t take this “experimental vaccine” ( even though it’s been rigorously tested ) , the uk would undoubtedly be in lockdown again . Yet everything is still open here . Delta is more virulent and more infectious than original covid , so there is every chance we would have barely left lockdown from April if we didn’t have the vaccine

i will gladly have my third dose when offered . Don’t think I will be offered one till February time though as my last was July .

my father in law died of pulmonary embolism caused by covid last February , he was 59 when he died. Couldn’t get ahold of the vaccine at the time as it wasn’t available to him . So easy stating bollocks about the virus when it’s not a family member impacted by it.

11. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Nice to see you don't view people over 80 as people :laugh:

Panja and Super_horns like this.
  12. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    'You all are truly the smart ones here. Now go get your 3rd booster.'

upload_2021-11-19_10-20-22.png

More than half the population is vaccinated, but apparently it's not enough :dunce:

Masks are good tho, and 100% work so it's worth it.

13. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    'Most vaccinated' place on earth cancels Christmas

Obviously there’s still at least one dirty unvaccinated lurking among them. Now if they can just find a way to root that guy out and deal with him, the virtuous will finally be able to get back to normal.

14. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
  15. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    'You all are truly the smart ones here. Now go get your 3rd booster.'

16. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    well it isn’t enough , delta has a rate of infection between 7 and 9, you need vaccination in the 80% of the entire population to get it under control presumably . The more infectious a disease is, the higher the percentage of people need to be vaccinated .

Measles needs about 95% of people vaccinated for it to be under control , for instance (rate of infection between 12 and 18 so incredibly infectious ) . If people start believing the bollocks spouted by antivaxxers and stop taking vaccines then outbreaks happen again . Which is exactly what is happening in the states .

for all the talk of natural immunity from antivaxxers , what they don’t mention is diseases like measles can actually reset your immune system too . It can wipe out your immunity to diseases you previously had immunity to. It’s called immune amnesia

17. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Smooth brain idiot's plan to beat the scamdemic:

[​IMG]

18. RedDevilsShinja

Supports:
    Manchester United
    upload_2021-11-19_10-35-29.png

FEVVdtzVkAEpnuQ.jpg

We JuSt nEeD tO JaB oUrSeLVeS HaRdER :dunce:

19. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Imagine being so indoctrinated in your conspiracy that you first claim the testing is not fit for purpose, then later use the same testing as evidence for your argument. Truly incredible levels of cognitive dissonance on display.

20. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur

Like 10% of the eligible population in Ireland are unvaccinated, and they are at fault for approx 50% of hospitalizations and deaths. If they had been vaccinated we'd be looking at having numbers 55-60% of where they are now and we probably wouldn't be looking at hospitals being under too much stress.