1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Really?!

E11275F6-6FFA-451B-B3AC-70E30C814187.jpeg

2. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    I remember when delta was first ravaging India . All the stories surfacing and hospitals were getting hit quickly . Turns out delta was more virulent ( more deadly ) and increased your chances of hospitalisation more than original covid

i don’t know why , it just feels different this time . I know governments are reacting more quickly , but delta seemed to justify the scare more in its early days . South Africa are even suggesting places are overreacting.

South Africa have been brilliantly transparent thus far

call it blind optimism and I appreciate its too early to say , but I think this strain will be found to be more infectious but more mild

#21182 smogtilldeath, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  3. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered Useless : Trevor Kettle Style .

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Does worry be thinking that we'll not be able to go to the football like in Holland & or some areas of Germany or reduced capacities like in Spain .

How many times do we or are we going to be asked to have a jab ?

I've got my 3rd on 9th December probably won't be as effective on the new variant as the old two which is Moronic ironically an anagram of Omicron .

4. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yet to see anything to suggest it is more harmful tbh. And also seems most of the cases are amongst unvaccinated/partially vaccinated. Certainly no cases amongst anybody with a booster shot yet. Of which we are already far along with.

Might be early but South Africa's case rate is already showing signs of slowing.

RedDogChris likes this.
  5. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    South Africa only has 25% total vaccinated too . Not from lack of vaccines , but anti vaxx sentiment .

living WHO bashing countries saying this is less likely to happen if countries share vaccines to poorer countries . This didn’t stem from lack of supply in South Africa , it’s because they fell for some bullshit lies off the internet . Poorer countries do need to be given vaccines I agree , but this didn’t happen due to richer countries greed .

As I said , it seemed to escalate a lot sooner with delta . Delta started causing carnage a lot sooner from what I remember .

6. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    India's covid cases started rising sharply from around the end of March, and by the end of April deaths were tracking at 3,000 a day from under 300 a day in the end of March. So a really large growth in 4 weeks.

https://www.cityam.com/coronavirus-...mutation-kills-off-more-lethal-delta-variant/
    Hospitals and GPs across Southern Africa are increasingly reporting that the symptoms of the aggressive new Covid strain Omicron are “unusual but very mild,” according to various media in South Africa this weekend.

Around 90 per cent of all new infections in the Johannesburg region are now caused by the Omicron strain but, so far, the Covid death rate and even hospital admissions appear not to be increasing significantly, local media report.

Some experts are therefore cautiously optimistic that – if Omicron turns out to be less lethal but more contagious and dominant than the Delta variant – the new mutation may actually be a blessing in the sky.

Hundreds of infected people across Southern Africa reportedly complain of nausea, headaches, fatigue and a high pulse rate, but none seem to suffer from a loss of taste or smell, which has been the case with most other Covid mutations.

Moreover, more and more medics across Southern Africa are confirming that most Omicron-infected patients merely have a severe headache, nausea or dizziness.

Dr Angelique Coetzee told various newspapers in South Africa: “Symptoms are so different and so mild from [non-Omicron] Covid patients I have treated before.”

A GP for over three decades, and chair of the South African Medical Association, she was the first African doctor to suggest to local authorities Covid had mutated into a new strain.

Coetzee reportedly said the symptoms “did not make immediate sense”, with patients including young people of different backgrounds and ethnicities with fatigue and a young child with a high pulse rate.

#21186 MrLeeLemon, Nov 29, 2021
  7. Frosty

Frosty Champions Of Europe

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Man I'm so jealous seeing that picture. I went to Tenerife a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'm wanting to go back again at some point.

8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    So the scientific advisors here believe the new variant has been circulating here for a few weeks possibly, but despite the fact this country is noted for being very advanced when it comes to spotting new variants it hasn't been noticed until South Africa flagged it.

And this then makes you presume the variant produces symptoms mild enough that people don't even think much of it... or possibly even notice it. If they go and trace people back a week or two ago and find they may have had the variant all this time without noticing, then it is surely clear that symptoms wise this thing is weaker.

UK science advisers brace for hundreds of confirmed Omicron Covid cases
    Scientific advisers are bracing themselves for hundreds of UK cases of the Omicron Covid variant to be confirmed in the next week or so, the Guardian has learned.

Some of them may predate the earliest cases of Omicron found in South Africa last week but could still be linked to travellers returning from the country, it is understood. Evidence of community transmission also emerged on Monday.

Omicron, which is believed to be more transmissible than dominant Covid-19 variants with the potential to evade vaccines, was first reported to the World Health Organization from South Africa on 24 November.

The UK is one of the world’s busiest air transport hubs and, like South Africa, has a large genomics sector to determine the variants involved in infections – increasing the probability both of importing and detecting cases.

9. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    UK cases down week on week for second day running. And signs that cases are once again taking a fall over the past week. Sustained shrinking in the growth rate for a bit now, hopefully moves into actual decreases. Hospitalisations still falling but maybe levelling off a bit, 7530 people hospitalised with COVID currently... from over 9000 at start of November.

At the end of the day, despite the sustained pressure with the caseload since the Summer - hospitalisations have never topped 10,000 since the start of March and hopefully with this booster programme they will not top it again.

We have over half the number of people in hospital than at the same time last year, despite having over two times the case rate. So in case people needed reminding... the vaccines work.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 16.06.13.png

COVID-19: Booster jabs for all adults, children over 12 can get second dose and most vulnerable eligible for fourth shot

[​IMG]

#21189 MrLeeLemon, Nov 29, 2021
    SamB_SCFC likes this.
  10. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Once a year, every year probably. As I've said right from day one. It's a virus that mutates easily like flu and just like with flu, that requires a new vaccine every year to deal with mutations. So long term once we've finished dealing with the initial pandemic, which we've still not finished with yet, and there's a good base immunity in the population it'll probably turn into a regular booster vaccination every autumn to both boost your immunity and tackle whatever the new variant is that year.

It'll be a choice but I'd imagine in certain situations, such as international travel, an up to date vaccination record will become a mandatory entry requirement in the long term for most countries and choosing not to do so will lead to you getting stuck in this country with very limited travel choices.

11. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Apparently the Co-op and Iceland aren’t going to enforce the mask wearing rule.

Probably don’t want the hassle of having to tell people to wear one or abuse from customers at such a busy time trade wise .

12. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    tbf as I was walking out of local Sainsbury's near me overheard a worker on the tills talking to a customer and saying they cannot enforce it, people don't get fined for not wearing them in shops. Just public transport it seems.

All they can do is refuse entry, which is a bit like shaking a wasps nest.

Super_horns likes this.
  13. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I will be asking folk where one at my works, but then I like a bit of confrontation.....passes the day :laugh:

14. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  15. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    tbf I am happy to wear a mask out and about since it is pretty freezing and it keeps half my face relatively warm.

TLC and Marty_LFC like this.
  16. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC MLS All Star

Supports:
    USA
    Thought about that this weekend when I was walking around. Felt super cold and remembered I could just wear my mask,

TLC and MrLeeLemon like this.
  17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    For all the shit slinging about mask wearing, beyond the obvious health benefits... it is practically handy for a few things. Add relative anonymity in a city full of CCTV cameras to that.

Can also get away with pulling funny faces walking down the street.

TLC and Marty_LFC like this.
  18. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I wear one all day at work anyhow and on public transport tbf. They are annoying and put a ****ing big crease in my beard :laugh:

But.....they aren't the worst thing in the world that some make out.

Panja and Marty_LFC like this.
  19. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Wasn’t he told 3 times to wear one in a hospital of all places !?

Almost as if he really doesn’t believe COVID is really an issue and just doing as he is told because he has to.
    It will be too busy to stand around having disputes with customers and like you say they are going to lose money kicking them out when they are going to spend big money.

#21199 Super_horns, Nov 29, 2021
  20. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC MLS All Star

Supports:
    USA
    Yeah, I think I'll just have one in my pocket regularly, tbh. I know walking around outside is the place where you wouldn't necessarily need it, but when a bus or there is a ton of traffic and I'm walking on that street, wearing a mask actually helps just keep the smell of fumes away, so that's something I'll just have it for in general.

I take public transport too, and I think I'll just be wearing a mask moving forward on there as standard practice, knowing that here in Boston and in NYC where I take the subway/rail mostly, COVID may be the least dangerous substance floating around those trains :laugh:

The Doc likes this.