1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    At work when the masks started we tried to ask people to wear them and it became a 50/50 shot on whether they'd be fine with it or would go off on a tirade about how everyone is a sheep, etc etc. It's more hassle than it's worth when you can have someone in and out of a shop in a few minutes, or you can have them arguing with you for longer than that all whilst breathing all over you.

I know it'll be mandatory in shops but I don't blame any shop workers who don't ask, it's just not worth it, and some of the abuse I've witnessed elsewhere has been sickening. I'll start wearing mine again, because I don't really mind either way, and hopefully it may encourage someone else to do the same. But I'm sick and tired of everyone's excuses/theories/arguments.

TAFKAP and SamB_SCFC like this.
  2. Panja

Panja In a land down under

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    Face masks are still mandatory on public transport and in shopping centres in Melbourne and it’s rare to see anyone flouting the rules, yet that’s probably because everyone’s terrified that we’ll go back to strict lockdowns and the premier will use it as an excuse to do so. I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to see how they manage the new variant as they’ve already closed the borders to international travel just two days before everything was opening up.

#21202 Panja, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  3. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    one good bit of news I hear about coronaviruses is they are less prone to mutation than influenza viruses . Hence it’s easier getting a vaccine to work for longer on different covid strains than flu .

reason covid seems more prone to mutation currently is because it spreads more easily than any flu strain out there . If you have more people with covid than flu then cheer numbers dictate covid will spread more . If it’s equals though , then scientists expect a flu strain would mutate more

I respect people disagree with me and I could be fully wrong, but I hardly think they make any ounce of difference . I wonder if Johnson thinks the same thing , but refuses to say it publicly

4. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Can't help but wonder why they are worn in operating theatres then, and have been for over half a century.

5. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    They obviously make a difference, but more key is fresh air and that air is generally given a chance to circulate a bit.

Like wear a mask in a space with stuffy air for an hour and it will stop making such a difference.

6. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Science disagrees with you :shrug

7. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Surely right at the beginning of all this 'we' decided the mask was to prevent moisture particles being breathed out by the wearer. Whilst at my sisters' one night we tried blowing out a candle whilst wearing a simple disposable face mask, it couldn't be done.

(Yes, it was an exhilarating night for all!)

SamB_SCFC and MrLeeLemon like this.
  8. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Challenge accepted.

[​IMG]

StretfordEnd likes this.
  9. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    [​IMG]

10. DonnyOsmond

DonnyOsmond I. R. BABOON

Supports:
    Doncaster Rovers

Simples

TAFKAP likes this.
  11. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    So we now have health officials in South Africa and Europe commenting on the observation that symptoms have so far not been severe in new variant cases. Also worth noting that these cases include unvaccinated individuals.

TAFKAP likes this.
  12. PorkchopExpress

PorkchopExpress The Blackfish

Supports:
    Manchester United
    That's one bonus from this. Hopefully that will balance out the rise in cases from stupid people ignoring the threat.

13. Delilah

Delilah Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Stoke City & England
    Looks like we have lost the 5th Test today. I am fuming. Looks like our State Premier has changed his mind off the back of this Omicron variant and now said players, staff, media etc. now have to quarantine for 14 days. The 4th Test finishes 5 days earlier so no chance of that. What really rankles is that nobody knows yet what we are dealing with in regards to Omicron so this may be a knee jerk reaction.

Saying all that it is only a cricket match. Not really the end of the world is it?

14. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Yeah it seems early days, but they are still yet to find any evidence of the new variant causing death... and the variant has clearly been in the community in South Africa for a few weeks now at the very least. Coupled with the very low vaccination rate there, that is pretty surprising.

Obviously see how it plays out.

15. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
    https://inews.co.uk/news/entertainm...open-but-kids-shouldnt-go-to-them-1326295/amp

Ireland’s Minister for Health has called for seasonal pantomime shows to go ahead this Christmas despite the pandemic – but said the country’s government will advise parents against bringing their children.

Stephen Donnelly told RTÉ Radio 1 on Monday the country’s Cabinet would consider new measures to reduce social activities for children and said financial supports will be provided to affected industries in the wake of booking cancellations.

It comes after the country’s Institute of Public Health (NPHET) last week recommended children avoid certain seasonal and community events in the run-up to Christmas in a bid to reduce Covid case numbers.

16. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    Didn't see as many folks in Tesco be it staff or shoppers wearing masks this morning as I thought they'd be though security on the doors in the Queensgate shopping centre were asking people to put masks on , handing one out to people without & urging people to use gel on their hands before entering .

Shares have dropped again with the CEO of Moderna having reservations about the vaccine on the new strain , scaremongering or more £ for the big pharmaceuticals ?

17. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  18. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
  19. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Oh goody, something to look forward to when I get back

Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk

I’m not in north Norfolk, but only 40 minutes away

i have to say, it’s very strict, but feels safe, here in Tenerife. They’ve never dropped the face coverings and of course we’ve spent 90% of the time outside. We keep to ourselves and everyone is respectful

LFCmajorca and TLC like this.
  20. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    Saw hospital admissions rising too , puts the idea to bed it’s milder then .

For **** sake , this feels like it’s just going to be permanently a feature of our lives now . It’s going to keep mutating and society just seems like it’s permanently shitting itself at these mutations

RedDogChris likes this.