1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    The only way out of this is to keep alternating between lockdowns and normal business until herd immunity or a vaccine becomes reality, depending on how strained the NHS/hospitals are. Any other route would see the economy or unnecessary deaths.

Yeah, I find that number suspect. In any case, isn't the bigger issue a lack of ventilators rather than ICU beds? I imagine its easier to convert beds into ICU beds, but you can't really convert anything into ventilators.

2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    If you extrapolate the figures, if your state had 67 million people like the UK does you'd have 3,000 ICU beds, compared the the UKs 4,500, so it is low. The UK has now appropriated all the private hospital beds too though, adding an extra 8,000 beds and 1,200 ventilators.

NHS deal will provide thousands of extra beds

3. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham

Wouldn't mind seeing the police here using these methods on people who decide to flout the guidance having picnics in the park, they can't be peer-pressured because they have no shame or are too pig-ignorant to take the hint.

4. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC American't

Supports:
    USA
    Wow, it's just one of those things I never thought about and seeing the numbers now is chilling.

Speaking of...

god help us

Not sure what goes into the process of conversion, tbh. Just very eye opening now that we're being shown those figures.

5. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    10,000 new cases in the US in a single day according to Johns Hopkins.

The dumb c**t in the White House though is spending his time arguing with journalists, claiming the media are trying to undermine his re-election. Yeah because it's all about Donald, as always.

6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wrexham and Liverpool
    The police in my town were rounding up gangs of kids out on their bikes last night. No idea if that is fact or fiction in the world of FB but tbh would not surprise me if the little shits were out.

7. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings.
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I share your frustration with stupid people who put others in danger, but I never want to see police behaving like that in this country. A thug is a thug, even if he's wearing a uniform.

Dan, Schindler, Jockney and 2 others like this.
  8. Stevencc

Stevencc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The U.S will have it all sorted and in the rear-view by Easter, according to Trump.

9. Arkwright

Arkwright Barnsleytilidie

Supports:
    Barnsleytilidie
    He is obsessed by the economy and his dumb supporters' perception of him, if there's such a thing as karma?............

SALTIRE and SamB_SCFC like this.
  10. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Apparently Prince Charles caught the virus after eating an old bat.

Dan, SALTIRE, Schindler and 2 others like this.
  11. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    The Tories obviously need to take the brunt of the blame for this with their short sighted cuts and hospital closures and failure to invest in the NHS in the last decade. Their approach has been typical of most Tory policy, minimise cost to maximise short term profit and financial gain without building in any contingency and institutional resilience to prepare for unexpected emergencies.

That said, Labour are far from blameless in this. Many of the shiny new PFI hospitals they built in the 2000s contained significantly less beds than the old hospitals they replaced. That was true in Stoke where the new hospital built on the site of the old City General has less beds than the old complex even though the challenges of a future aging population have been know for decades, well before the planning for that hospital would have started.

12. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Again FB talk but people here saying Police called a number of times for large numbers of kids in parks and at shops yesterday and no Police response given. Plod round here turned up 3 hours later for a fight between nearly 100 youths in a park last year, running battles through the estate and 2 cars turned up 3 hours later and drove off.

13. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    Track record's not great..............and yet he's still there :shrug

[​IMG]

StretfordEnd and Stevencc like this.
  14. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    Interestingly, given that some people have been saying baskets should be used and trolleys not allowed to stop people buying too much produce, supermarkets over here are now making trolleys compulsory to make sure people are far enough apart at the tills.
    I had to use a trolley yesterday for two cans of beer.

15. Jockney

Jockney Bomber Jackett

Supports:
    Millwall
    The government is not releasing daily figures anymore but reporting batches as and when they happen. This will give much of the public the impression that deaths are going down. Imo the last thing we need is people thinking that this problem is getting better before we hit the peak of this crisis. Its hard enough to enforce lockdown as it is.

16. Habbinalan

Supports:
    I suspect the "daily" figures never were the numbers of people who died in a 24 hour period but would always be affected by when busy people put paperwork in or stuck their figures on the system, although there would be pressures to keep data up to date. Totals fairly reliable but daily figures less so, except seen over at least a rolling 3 or 4 days. The published numbers for infected are simply a reflection of the testing policy, not how many people have it..

I'm all for not raising expectations falsely, so we'll see how the official spokesmen and PM spin the story. I'm still assuming at least 3 weeks to peak hospitalisations and over a month to peak deaths.

Hope I'm wrong.

17. Andy SFC

Andy SFC Registered User

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Where do the Government figures come from, I know a few people who have had symptoms and self isolated but haven't needed to call 111, would imagine large majority are in the same boat. Also when is the peak? have been hearing it will peak in next 10-14 days for the last 3 weeks. :shrug

18. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    They did say June but who knows!

19. Habbinalan

Supports:
    As I suspected, Public Health England (ie the Government) has a protocol for defining and reporting on cases. It'll cover all in-patients and test results and exclude a lot of non-in-patient cases but not all of them. It's only a confirmed case when it's been tested and got a positive result. It is what it is.

"...3.2 Sampling and testing

Arrange diagnostic sampling for individuals meeting the inpatient definiton. Do not wait for results of local testing for other pathogens before sending samples for SARS-CoV-2 testing.

Testing should be organised through the local hospital. See how to arrange laboratory testing and the guidance for sampling and diagnostic laboratories that includes an overview of laboratory investigations and sample requirements.

Designated PHE regional laboratories, in addition to the Respiratory virus unit (RVU) Reference laboratory at PHE Colindale, are able to carry out testing. See how to arrange laboratory testing.

3.3 Reporting to PHE

The local PHE Health Protection Team should be informed of cases or situations relating to contextual settings:

• any case from a longterm care facility
    • any case from a prison or prescribed place of detention
    • any outbreak in a hospital or healthcare setting
    • schools
    • other unusual scenarios

Laboratories performing testing must ensure that their local LIMS is set up to report daily to PHE by 7am...."

COVID-19: investigation and initial clinical management of possible cases

Number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases and risk in the UK

20. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Is that all you were allowed or was it your choice?!