1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Like I said, there is no science behind it and the WG haven't made that claim either. It's purely economic to avoid Next and other non-essential businesses from banding together and starting a huge legal challenge.

RM likes this.
  2. Adam

Adam Are you cereal?

Supports:
    Liverpool
    At £120 a pop I'd be wounded if I was negative.

SamB_SCFC, Dez, RM and 2 others like this.
  3. FranniesTache

Supports:
    The Pride of the South
  4. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    There's a better than 50:50 chance you haven't got it even if you show positive.

That's what 97% accurate means at the moment.

“It seems to be targeted at people who don't yet have symptoms so the chances of them being positive is actually very low.

“And a 97% accuracy - does that mean that for the 3% with the wrong results?

“If many of those are false positives then what would happen is that most of the positives from the tests would actually be false positives, because asymptomatic people have less chance of being positive anyway.

“A test like that would throw more false positives than negatives if the false positive rate is around 2-3%

“The other thing is that a negative test today tells you nothing about whether you are going to be positive later.

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

5. kloppbeliever

kloppbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    liverpool
    Man tries to shop in underpants in protest at clothes being deemed ‘non-essential’ in Wales

Independent.co.uk

Hilarious. He wore his mask so Tesco should be sued

6. valefrommow

valefrommow Registered User

Supports:
    port vale
  7. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    This is the problem, people can point to the numbers of covid patients in ICU beds and hospital and ask why areas are going back into lockdown. In a normal year the hospitals are at capacity, adding covid patients on the top of them means this year is going to be horrific if measures aren't taken.

8. tajjuk

tajjuk Registered User

Supports:
    Southampton
    Mixed messages from the government and all that certainly hasn't helped, but I think one of the main things is that clearly some sections of people have acted like complete irresponsible idiots (i.e. those in Liverpool that crowded the streets just before the lockdown) and then that causes further spikes of the virus and those who have been acting responsibly and sensibly feel like they get punished for others being irresponsible idiots, which will the make them less inclined to follow the rules because they will feel others will continue to just muck about and make it worse anyway so what is point of them doing it.

9. Papa Francesco

Papa Francesco Registered User

Supports:
    Middlesbrough
    Why should Tesco be sued?

10. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
  11. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    for breaking his civil rights :)

he wore a mask and after that I didn't see a dress code on the door.

12. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    SamB_SCFC and Tomohawk like this.
  13. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I know we have the Nightingale Hospitals in reserve, but I hope we have enough people to staff them effectively, whilst still maintaining a non Covid health system.

14. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Fear is the mind-killer

Supports:
    The end of stupidity
  15. The Doc

The Doc Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    second person to post this but has anyone actually read it?

It isn't all doom and gloom and goes someway to suggesting otherwise may be the case.

Habbinalan and Adam like this.
  16. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    as far as I am aware there are multiple groupings of viruses and for some like polio or measles you get your 2 or 3 doses and you are good.

for others like chickenpox or the flu you are not and need a booster.

it seems to depend on how the virus acts upon cells, do they destroy the cell on emergence or not for example.

if the immuno response to covid drops off it doesn't mean that its totally gone imo, it depends if cells or antibody recognise the virus again.

at this point what we can say is that its actually hard to get covid day 1 due to restrictions, I still don't see a reliable number for total.exposure and that reinfection is extremely rare this far.

that could rapidly change.

like, I'm fairly sure I've never have h1n1 flu as I think i'd know and imo I've only had colds. that is unless I'm a hard nut who shook it off.

I've never had the flu vaccine as I've left it to those who need it and even nhs staff are about 50/50 on getting it.

for all we know people might get covid again next year. the question is if its far worse next dose round or less so as we've seen the bodies own immune response being the thing that's done most harm.

anyway, what i see is a study showing antibody detection levels dropping off which is not the same as making a supposition about what might happen next.

17. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    People keep saying you can get reinfected , but that can happen with everything. It’s generally accepted that the overwhelming majority of people catch chickenpox only once , but there are still some out there who catch it twice . How many confirmed reinfections have there been ? Last I heard it was about 24, out of millions of people who have been infected by this .

also , people saying places like Germany are handling this better than us due to a more effective track and trace system . Germany is regularly hitting 14000 new cases daily now. Their rate of infection is pretty much like ours

18. kloppbeliever

Supports:
    liverpool
    yes but its a well known issue that you get a booster for chickenpox for example so it is what it is . you have to know that person either got no boosters or never had it etc etc

you need 4 dose or something for polio.

IMO infection is about actions taken not about immunity. I know a lot of germans from work and they basically all travelled over the summer all over europe for holidays and they are on rolling lockdowns any time is spikes and they people i know are office based so do stay home.

I think personally my good German friends like to lick themselves smuggly like cats over their systems but in reality they are no better at following rules than anyone else.

19. smogtilldeath

smogtilldeath Registered User

Supports:
    the 1 and only mighty boro
    I’ve personally never had a vaccine for chickenpox . My mam just decided to put me near my cousin and naturally I got infected :laugh:. remains to be seen if I catch it again, but it’s generally accepted that chickenpox tends to be only once for most people . That could be very well the case with covid . Flu reinfection is likely because it mutates so much . Covid has been found to be more genetically stable so is less prone to mutations . What’s necessarily stopping the lymphocytes in our bodies also producing those covid antibodies again when they initially disappeared ?

Early days for tier 3 but the good news seems to be its starting to impact on Liverpool numbers . Time will tell if it works elsewhere

#12639 smogtilldeath, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  20. Random

Random League One Champions 2010

Supports:
    Southadmin
    doesn't look promising with 25% of people testing positive for antibodies testing negative after three months. convalescent plasma therapy results sounded bleak as well.