1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Global Coronavirus Pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Tshabs, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Iron_Dukem

Iron_Dukem Legendary.

Supports:
    Support: Bath City, Fan: Liverpool
    It'll be hard, but I think eventually having the mindset of knowing you're helping prevent further spreading of a virus will overcome the restless mindset of going to the places you mentioned.

2. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
  3. zippy

zippy The friendly Fascist

Supports:
    Sheffield United,FC Bayern
    I will indeed, my birthday is today, the bar was open. St plastics day tomorrow is well and truly f##ked however, which is a nice bonus.

4. Marty_LFC

Marty_LFC Multicultural Marxist

Supports:
    USA
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant, in that I don't have confidence their government will have their act together to be business as usual for tourism even by then.

Happy birthday, and yes, we're on the same page about St. Patrick's day. A bigger amateur hour than New Years Eve.

zippy likes this.
  5. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I used to work in communications for Local Government, we always aimed to beat fake news by getting the facts published as soon as they were clear, preventing people on Facebook from getting worried the world was ending because Dave from the pub was chatting bollocks again.

It's a shambles how social media companies & the government have neglected the flow of information. Take toilet roll for instance; the panic buying kicked off in Australia, families of ex-pats in the UK saw this and assumed it was happening in this country, went down to the supermarkets and cleared them out and now the Americans, not ones to miss any action are getting in on it too. No remedial action to mitigate any damage done either, they've just made themselves scarce.

6. FFS, I've been nailing ibuprofen and smoke :laugh:

7. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    The French government has suspended rents, utility bills and tax contributions amongst other measures whilst completely locking down for the next 15 days.

It's safe to assert that anything like this won't happen under any circumstance in the UK, as all decisions from the government have all been those that have prioritised the economy in the short-term over anything else.

8. Jockney

Jockney Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
  9. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I thought the original advice was 14 days, then it became 7 in the interests of the economy, now it's 14 again?

10. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    Then again the virus might find a pair of lungs that’s been coated with 30yrs of tar a toxic and deadly environment. ;)

It would be hilarious if that turned out to be true, lots of nagging posters going up asking if you’ve had your “20 a day”. :laugh:

It reminds me of an old Woody Allen film where he’s unfrozen 200yrs in the future and the first thing they do in the hospital is give him a fag and a cream cake.:laugh:

11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Sleeper?

COVID-19 or not I can assure you that ibuprofen is horrendously bad for you long term. :eeek

Flip Duckling likes this.
  12. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    yea that’s the one, now I’ve got plenty of time on my hands I might try and rewatch it, see how well it’s aged.

Cracked me up at the time, particularly the Orgasmatron :laugh:

13. RedDevilsShinja

RedDevilsShinja In need of a new username

Supports:
    Manchester United
  14. Thanks, I've been taking it for backache. I'll knock that on the head.

15. Jezza

Jezza Registered User

Supports:
    United
    Why so?

16. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    So from all of this advice that's been thrown around today am I right in thinking that we've reached the point where those of us with parents over 70 (and of course other relatives in the same bracket) should be avoiding any sort of face to face contact with them?

My mum wants me to take her shopping on Wednesday (for what that's worth these days) and then it's her birthday on Friday and obviously its then mothers day on Sunday so normally I'd be spending a lot of time with her over the next week. Should I be telling her to forget it and to hunker down now (not that she'll listen to me )?

17. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    Your mum is in her 70s?

18. upper90

upper90 Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Detroit City FC
  19. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Our government’s guidelines are all very wishy-washy. The French advice is clear and they’re under no doubt what to do.

I guess we’ll get another unclear broadcast later today.

I’ll be the first to admit I didn’t take this seriously to start with. Now it’s worrying me and don’t know what to do. For the time being, I’ll go to work as usual I suppose and wash my hands and keep my distance from others

20. Villa Rocker

Villa Rocker Took It Everywhere When It Mattered

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    My three kids have all got a cough that has got worse. The younger one also has a bad chest. They are all well but just have possible symptoms so cannot go to school and need to isolate for however long. My wife is on the sick with her mental health so is able to look after them without worrying about work, although it won’t be great for her mental health. By what’s being said I myself should be isolating , but I am showing no symptoms and need to earn at the moment. If the time comes where I need to isolate I will.