1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    So, there is talking in the feedback forum about a Health & Fitness forum. I think its best of we just have a thread to start with.

If its popular enough it will stay on the top page and eventually get stickied.

So, yeah talk about anything Health & Fitness.

I'll start off nice and simple. I played football today and now have a sore groin.

2. Geordielen

Geordielen Still keeping the faith!

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    I go to the gym 3 times a week.

Stupidly though I have not yet wrote up a routine which I probably should of.

3. Pubclown

Pubclown Registered User

Supports:
    The club being ruined by the Oystons
    I did 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight.

First time I've bothered my arse to do anything this week, and will be the last because of the stupid hours I'm putting in at work.

4. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Right, odd question number 1

You when you've done some exercise and one of your muscles keeps twitiching every now and again?

Is there a technical term for it and how do you stop it?

5. AdzSAFC

AdzSAFC Chris Maguire is our King.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    What would people recommend for me to tone up vastly over the next couple of months? I'm not fat, just a bit excess weight. :laugh: I'm 13 stone and 6ft 2, so I assume that's more-or-less average for my age. I wouldn't know. :shrug

Obviously a healthy diet comes into it, but I've already changed my eating habits by eating far more fruit per day and taking in healthier drinks and other foods, cutting down on chips, burgers etc.

6. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    with regards to height/weight this will tell you everything you need to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

I guess to tone up the best thing would be lifting weights along with squats, sit ups, press ups but depends if there is any particular area you want to tone up.

Boxing is a good one to.

7. Astoundingfooty

Supports:
    Leyton Orient, 2nd team: Tottenham Hotspur
    I walked a fair bit today but also had a pint of Strongbow.

I lift weights every other day and do press-ups and sit-ups every day; now I'm on hols I'll be going running often again, probably alternating every other day with weightlifting, who knows? There's football to factor in as well, obviously.

8. theodorewhitmore

theodorewhitmore FF Decader

Supports:
    Hull City
    I wish I had the will power to go to the gym. I'm active and fit but wish I could arsed to work out to improve my physique.

If anybody has any good unboring home workout routines Im more than willing to listen.

9. RF9

RF9 UNTOUCHABLE

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Every week I have 1 KFC, 2 chippy lunches, 1 mcdonalds and 1 subway. have done so for 6 months.

I am still under weight for a teenager of my size. Help?

10. Bournemouth_Ryan

Supports:
    AFC B'MUFF
  11. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    It's an imbalance of electrolytes, try keeping your muscles hydrated but try and include electrolyte drinks such as Powerade/Lucozade.

Don't listen to DV :laugh: Body mass index is useless in predicting height to weight ratio. If your really concerned about your fat then go to the doctors and request a skin caliper test (this is a more accurate test of fat, muscle & skin) The BMI doesn't include the weight of muscle etc (muscle weighs more than fat) so a rugby player who has a body fat % of 4% will seem extremely obese according to BMI.

It sounds simple enough, burn off more calories than you intake (fat wise) per day. If you intake 200cals of fat you will have to burn 200cals of fat just to be even. There are many considerations when doing this though, even though many exercise machines have a 'fat burning zone' it has been proven it depends on what you intake for different intensities and volumes to work.

If your intake of food is more sugars then a higher intensity work out should be done, if more fat & proteins have been consumed then a low intensity should be executed.

Get yourself swimming an hour a day if possible and the fat should drop off. You are better consulting a personal trainer though because they can go into more specifics because I don't know what you eat, what intensity you exercise at etc.

12. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Yes, but why is it always my left arse cheek?

Excuse my ignorace, but isnt that exactly what it does.

I'm aware of the muscle weighing more than fat thing but surely unless your a rugby player or body builder the BMI is relevent?

If it was usless why have it?

13. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    More chance of you gaining weight is to eat healthy. If the body can't use the food digested then it is just excreted. :thumb

I don't know :laugh: I could caress it?

#13 IJY14, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  14. Geordielen

Geordielen Still keeping the faith!

Supports:
    Newcastle United
    Anyone know if these belt things actually work ?

ab_belt.jpg

15. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    I'm about to embark on an intense running regime. I'm carrying one or two stones of winter weight plus a bit that I never got rid of through being busy all summer. I'm doing a 13 mile run in October and I wanna do better than last year. At the start of last year I didn't have any fat on my body whatsoever so I need to sort it out.

Has anyone ever encountered this before.... you pack a decent amount of muscle on, then you stop altogether for long enough to basically lose most of it so you're almost starting from scratch. Then when you go back to weight training it's easier to build it due to muscle memory?

16. Astoundingfooty

Supports:
    Leyton Orient, 2nd team: Tottenham Hotspur
    Stop eating from those places for a start, they're all vile, especially McDonald's and KFC.

It's probably just that your metabolism is very high.

If you want to put on weight, eat stuff that's rich in protein and then do weights or summat after that. Don't just do purely muscle exercises though, you have to have a cardio balance too. Apparently you should take protein shakes afterwards for muscle repair.

Speaking of which - protein shakes - good idea or bad? Never tried it but am thinking of doing so. Would it work? Benefits/costs?

17. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Nah im ok....its just weird.

Every now and again I play football, all my other muscles are fine but my left arse cheek twitches for hours afterwards the odd 4/5 seconds every now and again.

Bloody odd/weird/annoying.

18. Ollie

Ollie Registered User

Supports:
    LFC
    I tried one protein shake but it just made me put on weight not muscle. You could do with a bit of both AF so you can't go wrong but beware of side effects.

19. IJY14

IJY14 Herald the future

Supports:
    Wigan
    Muscle is depleating after 48 hours so it is hard to get back and maintain. There is no such thing as fat turning to muscle. Muscles become bigger through exercise and tearing of the muscle fibres while fat stores decrease therefore muscles seem bigger.

I'm not to sure about muscle memory but as I have said your muscles will have history of ripping and rebuilding, they may rebuild faster but fat stores will not drop off as quick as you have more fat coving the muscles.

20. Bournemouth_Ryan

Supports:
    AFC B'MUFF
    So many questiongs being asked in this thread... surely a incentive to make a whole sub forum for the different things to be discussed :thumb