1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    You aren’t too old. Ease in with some jogs and then add in some intermittent sprinting.

Worked for me and also will prepare you for football as that’s basically what it is.

Minty likes this.
  2. Sgt. Serious

Sgt. Serious Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Swindon Town
    Shuttle runs, shuttle runs & more shuttle runs

Bleep test.

If you do go for a jog do intervals. Maybe jog for 2 minutes. Sprint for 30 seconds.

3. Realist6

Realist6 Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Question for anyone on here, I have a string of what seems to be enlarged lymph nodes down the crease between my pelvic area and my thigh, there seems to be maybe 1 or 2 enlarged nodes (around 1cm/1.5cm each) and then a very strange hard ‘tendon’ feeling thing that is attached to them and leads upwards which is about a couple of cm’s long.

I get enlarged lymph nodes every now and then but I’ve never had anything like this, and they don’t seem to be decreasing or increasing, they’ve been there for around 3 weeks now. I know the sensible thing is to probably see a doctor but I’m just waiting to see if they resolve themselves for now.

Anyone else had/or can feel something similar?

Edit: to make it a little clearer, with a quick ‘un-thorough’ touch it basically feels like a hard raised tendon/big vein, probably just over an inch long and runs parallel with the crease

#6083 Realist6, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  4. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I too have a London Marathon place. Running for the miscarriage association. Bricking it tbh

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  5. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    Follow a decent training plan that's appropriate to your level of fitness, and you'll get around ok.

If you're hoping to win it then you're probably right to brick it!

6. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Im gunna slap Mo Farahs Bauld head when i pass him. Any training tips for that?

Jonny Ninja and JoshBCFC like this.
  7. Cicero

Cicero Born is the King

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Maintaining/building muscle whilst on a caloric deficit is one of the most rigorous things Ive ever done

8. WarsawPact

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    Sure, make sure you can slap to either side because you don't know which side you'll pass him. Also practice running backwards so you can turn and face him and flick 'v's at him as you run backwards across the finish line.

Richard and JoshBCFC like this.
  9. WarsawPact

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    So having completed my first Ultra-Marathon a couple of weeks ago, I conclude that if I want to do longer and/or hilly U-Ms, I need more muscle to act as an energy store (though not too much more - I've still got to drag the extra weight the extra distance!)

Fortunately, I only live a couple of miles away from where I work and the gym & pool next door to it. So my intended winter exercise programme (weather permitting) is:

Day - AM / PM
    Mon - cycle 2 miles, gym 1 hour / cycle 2 miles.
    Tue - interval run 3.5 miles / yoga 1 hour, slow run 3.5 miles.
    Wed - cycle 2 miles, swim 30 mins / cycle 2 miles.
    Thu - interval run 3.5 miles, gym 1 hour / slow run 3.5 miles.
    Fri - cycle 2 miles, swim 30 mins / cycle 2 miles.
    Sat - rest day.
    Sun - run 13 mile.

The Tuesday & Thursday runs are while carrying a rucksack - Tuesday's being the heaviest at around 6kg.
    For the swims, I don't really use my legs - treating it as an upper-body exercise.
    The gym sessions are strength work only - I get enough cardio elsewhere!

10. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    First 5k done. Ouch.

WarsawPact likes this.
  11. WarsawPact

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    Well done!

What training plan are you following?

12. Shinji Doherty

Shinji Doherty Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United, Derry City
    I am currently nursing a mangled left ankle, waiting on an op to put it back in the right place and tuck the ligaments and tendons where they should be. That alone would make any form of fitness difficult, however, as I don't do things by halves, I have a double fracture on my right foot, small one and a giant one between 1st and 2nd metatarsals (**** you David Beckham, we used to call them toes!). The right foot break goes half the length of my foot and is getting wider rather than healing. I'm back in the fracture clinic for another x-ray so I find out on Friday if I need an op to put screws and plates in that. My question, bearing that in mind, aside from giving up beers which i've pretty much done, what the actual fuck can I do to not get all the fat?

13. Devon82

Devon82 Registered User

Supports:
    Juventus
    I have not worked out in my adult life apart from a handful of gym workouts and a little bit of running.
    I have just started swimming and can honestly say I love it.
    Doing around 1500m a day and no stress on my body. who else swims for cardio and how do you rate it compared to running, rowing, riding etc?

14. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja witty unpredictable talent and natural game

Supports:
    West Ham United
    You'll have to change you're normal diet up if you excersise regularly, but now laid up.

I had 4-6 months off the gym due to a back injury a few years back. I probably burn about 5000 calories a week training so it was the only thing I could do until I was fit and able to go back. Ballooning weight and then trying to lose it is fcking difficult if you're 35+. if you're not don't worry about it, but you'll have to put in the work when you are fully healed

15. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think it's all about consistency and realising you might have to lose it slowly.

I've changed my diet completely and started doing a bit of exercise but not much and have lost over 8 stone doing it. It's slowed down considerably now I've hit a more human weight but it's now all about having that consistency in my diet where I know I'm eating the right stuff. I know I could lose weight quicker if I substituted a couple of things out for alternatives but they satisfy my cravings so I stick to what I enjoy.

I know a lot of people who try to lose weight who get disheartened when they don't lost half their weight in a month.

I wish I had done this earlier in my life though. Trying to do the exercise around work and family is hard work!

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  16. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Really not enjoying my cardio at the moment, might start doing more weights to keep myself interested.

17. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    A guid dram
    Anyone got any tips about what to have at night if I get peckish now I am going to start losing weight once again. Started my exercise regime today but not looked at my diet yet, and the nighttime picking is what always lets me down eventually.

18. claret

claret Registered User

Supports:
    West Ham & England
    I always have a glass of port, usually followed by a Baileys as a nightcap.;)

19. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Nothing. A banana, tops.

20. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    I put about a stone on over 12 months, on 3rd week of low carb diet now and ive lost 12lbs already

From today im gona start eating no more than 2000 calories to keep the weight from piling back on as i have a sedentary job for 6 months and little time for exercise.

Dont drink much either nowadays so that helps