1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    European Champions Liverpool FC
    Living life to the max eh mate! No wonder your name is claret. ;)

claret likes this.
  2. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Yeah I'm not bad when I get going, and can lose a stone pretty quickly, and once I get into it I tend to eat around 1500-2000 cals and stick with that. Some nights that isn't enough though and I get pangs, and thats when its dangerous and I go rummaging! I'll either need to look at better portion control for my main meals, or eat something like nuts later. Cut right down on the drink as well, the last dram I had was Friday night when it was Burns Night. Lucky if I do 4 drams in the week just now.

Grats on the weight loss btw, was it a New Years resolution?

3. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Not really its been creeping on, i did a height to weight ratio thingy and it said i was 1st 8 over weight.......the calories counting thing only works imo opinion if you have at least 50% vegatbles and greens..........no good counting ready meals and takeaways you will put weight on in my experience....( i have a takeway once a fortnight still though approc)....2 weeks into eating regular vegetables and you wont look at ready made meal they are dreadful.

4. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Yeah thats going to be a big change this time, have got into my cooking now and will be preparing and making my own stuff a lot more regularly, rather than processed ready meals and foods; so that should help. Lucky you that you were only 1st 8 overweight - I'm a lot more than that lol! Have set myself a target of 3 stone this year, I just want to be prepared better this time than the other times where I've inevitably fell off the wagon.

5. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Well good luck, i hate knowing im overweight ( even though you coudn't tell tbh) so i got a quick fix ( low carb ) and manage it from healthy position.

SALTIRE likes this.
  6. SALTIRE

SALTIRE Slàinte mhath!

Supports:
    Cheers mate, you too.

johnnyT likes this.
  7. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I've now lost 10 stone since starting slimming world, I'm starting to resemble the size of a normal human...

Couch to 5k is the next aim and I have cricket nets starting next week and 5-a-side football in 5 weeks time.

8. JTC77

JTC77 Ugistered Reser

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I lost nearly 5 stone a few years back and have so far kept it off. It took me the best part of 2 and a half years to lose it, but I have kept it off for over two years now so I am happy. It's something I will always keep an eye on though, and I will always track my calories. I like food and love beer, so I will always have an ongoing battle to keep it off.

Good luck to all you guys and girls on diet and fitness regimes.

SALTIRE likes this.
  9. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Albania and Nottingham Forest
    Losing 2.5 stone in 4 months. Doable?

10. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    It'll depend on your starting weight I'd guess but yes, doable. I lost 6st 5lb in my first 4 months of my diet.

11. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Albania and Nottingham Forest
    Wow that's impressive.

I'm about 16st at the moment. Frustrating at the moment as I broke my ankle in November and have no idea how long it takes to fully heal. I can walk around now with a bit of a limp but I'm nowhere near running or even getting on my exercise bike.

12. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    At the beginning it was mainly a diet change, the little bits of exercise did obviously help but they were far from hiit sessions etc.

Breakfast: 0% fat natural yoghurt and fruit.
    Lunch: Couscous (with peppers, onions, chillis and sweetcorn occasionally) + packet of crisps and alpen light bar.
    Dinner: 1/2 to 2/3 plate of vegetables, home made potato wedges and chicken
    Dessert: 0% fat natural yoghurt and fruit with a meringe nest and an alpen light bar if still a bit hungry.

I've heard it all doing it though. From I'm losing it too fast so will never keep it off, I've lost muscle as well so not to do any activity and it's very unhealthy to lose it so fast, my body will go into shock and I'll be screwed in any number of ways. I did speak to a doc about it and he said what I've done is fine and with the added exercise I'm getting it's not as much of a crash diet as it looks on paper and there's no health worries from his point of view, only positives.

I know they suggest 2lb a week is an achievable weight loss so approx 34lb off in 4 months potentially. All about cutting out the booze and fast food for me!

Fo Shizzle likes this.
  13. Lord Cavendish

Lord Cavendish Happy Camper

Supports:
    Birmingham City
    That is a huge effort. Well done!

14. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I joined Slimming World last night. Whilst I’m not fat by any means, I could do with losing a bit, eat better and drink alcohol much less.

I was weighed last night and my target, to begin with, is to lose a stone.

The reading is a bit of a mine field, but I’ll get the hang of it. It’s all about eating the free foods and speed foods and keeping syns to 15 or less a day.

I will exercise too and generally improve my lifestyle which, at 51, can only be a good thing :)

SALTIRE and Richard like this.
  15. Richard

Richard Banned

Supports:
    Leicester
    I'm deep into training for the London marathon. **** me it's hard.

16. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    Have you got a finishing time you're hoping for, or just looking to get round?

17. Richard

Richard Banned

Supports:
    Leicester
    I put 5 hours. But I just want to finish before the sweeper bus in all fairness.
    I've had some training injuries so I've reassessed my expectations.
    MO can win this year.

18. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Registered User

Supports:
    Mansfield Town
    I’ve been on the treadmill or out for a run if it’s not pissing it down for 30 minutes a night 4 times a week each week for the last 6 now. Feel much better for it and I’m now 13 stone 7, down from 14st 5.

My diet isn’t perfect but I’ve improved, Cut out beer in the week and takeaways and started eating better at work. I play football twice at least a week and my job is pretty active anyway but 6 years off constant takeaways and boozing I’ve developed a beer belly that makes me look 9 months pregnant so wanting to flatten that a little.

RM likes this.
  19. Leo

Leo Guest

Hi mate. I remember you mentioning about playing 5's on 1FF and you mentioning something about a fat twat of a goal keeper in your team. Sure you said he wasn't that bad tbf.....:laugh:

20. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    5 hours was my target time when I did my first marathon (2017 Great Birmingham Run). I hit the 'wall' at about 20 miles, and realised I was falling behind schedule with a couple of miles to go - so I had to sprint the last 2 miles (or as close as I could get to a sprint!) I finished in 4 hours 56 minutes.