1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    I'll take that time.

2. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Registered User

Supports:
    Mansfield Town
    He wasn’t but he’s not played in about 8 months now. Got a local semi pro keeper in net for us now, helps when I get skinned by all the 18 year olds :cry:

Leo likes this.
  3. Crespo

Crespo Registered User

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    Jeez I've just started running :laugh: alright alright I wont kid myself it's more like slight jogging before one minute later feeling like a sack of sh1t.

When I was younger even through my teens playing football I had so much energy and my cardio was well on point but now I find even doing the couch to 5k BBC App thing a pain. I'm 6ft and weigh pretty much dead on 13 stone, arms are like twigs, legs are decent enough from my cycling days but I'm starting to get a bit of a belly so feel I need to act now.

Diet wise I'm not doing anything in particular besides not snacking between meals and making sure the meals fill me up. That's not so easy when I'm a fussy eater and dislike so many things, probably getting 3-4 fruit or veg a day

Do people follow set routines for fitness and dieting? I don't have a particular goal in mind really besides being more active and losing some weight. Was thinking of doing some of those HIIT workouts but my flat lacks space and I'd probably piss people off downstairs :laugh:

4. WarsawPact

WarsawPact Registered User

Supports:
    Walsall FC
    I'm not dieting as such - I haven't got much fat on me (5' 10" - 11st 7lbs).
    My training regime is fairly fixed because I've built exercise into my routine.

I'm lucky to live only 2 miles from my workplace (3 miles if I go the 'pretty way') so I run or cycle to work.
    There's also a gym/swimming pool nearby so I on my way to/from work.

Running is my main enjoyment, and I do swimming, weights and yoga to support it. I exercise about 6 hours a week at the moment, though I don't have any events booked at the moment.

My advice is to find something you enjoy doing, and find a convenient time to do it. Don't give yourself an excuse to duck out of it.

Richard likes this.
  5. Soup Ladle

Soup Ladle Registered User

Supports:
    Hartlepool
    I struggle a lot with motivation to be honest. I used to enjoy going to the gym and football but the the latter's out for now as I've had complications on a fractured foot I got last summer.

I haven't done much exercise for more than 2 months now but the weird thing is I'm still on a higher protein, lower carb diet so I'm still eating reasonably healthy but doing nowt at all. As a result I'm in worse shape than I was but not chronically worse as I still watch what I eat.

I have a gym membership and it's right next to my office but I hate having to lug my work gear and gym gear and have a shower there as well then go to work. I hate going to the gym afterwards as it's rammed. And I really hate busy gyms. Don't know what to do. I always find some kind of excuse not to go but I want to go and feel guilty about it. Think the guilt's weirdly stopping me in some way.

6. DaveTHFC

DaveTHFC Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham
    First parkrun for me today. I tried 2 x couch to 5k runs and struggled but felt I should give the actual 5k park run a go and I'm glad I did. I did it in a relatively slow 31mins 50secs but I'm really chuffed with that, my aim was 45mins! I hadn't managed to jog for more than 90secs continuously before this so it was a different experience and I only stopped twice during the 5k to walk and both times for less than 30secs. Really happy, the legs are aching a bit though!

RM likes this.
  7. King_Kenny

King_Kenny .banned

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Shin splints? Has anyone had them? Went for a short jog last night and felt a bit of discomfort in the side of my left shinbone. To be honest, even before the jog I had felt a bit of tenderness there for weeks/months but thought nothing of it. Today, when looking, the outside of my left shinbone has swollen a bit. Looked on Google and most seems to suggest Shin Splints, but in the description it says they are painful, this isn't painful at all, it feels tender and thats about it.

One thing I have thought of is a undetected stress fracture. At my computer desk I have a small set of drawers and it has a handle that sticks out a bit, in the past I have often knocked this exact same area, several times whilst getting up or sitting down, wondering if this could be part of the problem. Going to keep an eye on it, if it doesnt go down will go the hossy for an x-ray.

8. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Shin splints are a sign of weakness elsewhere. Weak calfs perhaps. Or weak glutes. Could also be as simple as not warming up or stretching properly. Could even be poor technique.

King_Kenny likes this.